1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting lineup: Asik vs. Casspi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 28, 2013.

?

Who should start?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2013.
  1. Asik - Twin Towers

62.5%
  2. Casspi - Stretch 4

25.9%
  3. Dmo/Jones - cocaine is a helluva drug

11.6%
  1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I think Asik should continue to start. I seen Rockets PF getting owned before due to lack of size and i don't want to see that. The Rockets can always go back and change the lineup later on as the game progress as they did against Portland. But the starting lineups should always have Howard and Asik.

2. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I'm sorry dude, Casspi looks like a midget guarding LMA. I don't think he should start.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

LMA just kinda camps out from midrange so it's not a terrible matchup for him. He's not gonna body you down low.

4. Flops

Flops Member

I like Casspi starting at the 4 and bringing Lin and Asik off the bench. I think it makes the Rockets a more balanced team. Lin can run the pick and roll with Asik and Asik can anchor the defense.

5. Oracle

Oracle Member

I sort of agree with Jabberwock here. I don't think Casspi cares at all coming from the bench. He seems to love playing meaningful minutes for the team regardless if he starts or not. I think he is a great addition to the Rockets roster and may get even a more critical role in McHale's system, but it does not have to be as a starter. One of the great things about Casspi's game right now is that he does not even seem to think about his stats line. He only want the team to win. Maybe that is the reason why he plays so well? I noticed that his PER just passed the 20 line and his stats are better in every category even when compared to his good rookie year. Deal of the year for Morey.

1 person likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent point. If Casspi were moved to a starting spot, he might start pressing the way Chandler's pressing now. I like how he's being used. I could see Garcia possibly getting some starts at the 3 if Parsons slumps continues, just to see what happens.

7. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

More and McHale know Asik needs to start or else he'll pout as he did when the Rockets first acquired Dwight.

Asik must be traded for a true PF.

8. Oracle

Oracle Member

Thanks! I was upset when people were killing Casspi before he even set his feet on the floor. I was convinced that he will produce. So far it looks very good. Basketball is a game of 48 minutes and every minute is important. The bench is much more important than people seem to realize. Maybe Casspi will be the natural starter after 40 games. Then he starts. The Rockets are a very analytical entity. They will go through these scenarios and come up with the best answer.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

The defensive change when Casspi went in for Asik in the 3rd quarter of Portland was very ugly. I don't want to spend a season watching that.

We're 4-1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

10. davestrate

davestrate Member

what we are really doing is showcasing Casspi to include him with or without Asik in the next big trade.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Good point. The difference would be starting in a hole, and then catching up with the small lineup, or starting evenly matched, and then staying even with the big lineup. In the end the results might be the same, with the added benefit of keeping Asik happy/trade value up.

Although, I do think there is a psychological impact to having to come from behind time after time as opposed to staying even the whole game. It has to take a toll.

Also there is the question of 'fit'. Beverley is starting because he fits better with Harden, and there isn't any question that Casspi fits better next to Howard. The difference between the comparison is that Lin is about equal to Bev, while Asik is much better than Casspi, though.

To the TT's credit, if we only look at the West's contenders(the only teams that matter), TT does match up well to start the game:

Duncan/Splitter
    Ibaka/Perkins
    Griffin/Jordan
    Lee/Bogut
    Gasol/Randolph

Although we can get away with going small vs Splitter and Ibaka, as last year's playoffs showed us. Also Memphis isn't really a contender.

#171 CXbby, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  12. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

In all 5 games we've played so far, the TT experiment got us into a deficit in the 1st quarter, only when McHale made substitutions (Casspi for Asik) did we regain control of the game.