1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting lineup: Asik vs. Casspi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 28, 2013.

?

Who should start?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2013.
  1. Asik - Twin Towers

62.5%
  2. Casspi - Stretch 4

25.9%
  3. Dmo/Jones - cocaine is a helluva drug

11.6%
  1. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I think the gain in D and rebounding is greater than the loss in O. With Lin starting our O would be less of a problem.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

That's because this thread is talking about the starting POWER FORWARD. Garcia played exactly zero minutes at PF, tonight, or ever as a Rocket. Try to keep up.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't mean you should give Casspi credit for what Garcia did. Casspi was a big nothing out there tonight. Literally anyone on the roster would have done that well or better.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Have u ever watched warmups or guys practice? I've seen mcroberts knock down 3's like layups. When they were pnr and pn pop, howard nor asik is comfortable running to the 3pt line. This was the same strategy the old sonics of the 80s and 90's used vs ralph,dream,and thorpe. I would also say those guys were more mobile than these 2 we have now. We've had this discussion before about this and the rockets have 2 pfs on the bench. Terrence Jones in my opinion is the guy who can guard the stretch 4s. Offensively,his ability to get by guys on a closeout also gives the team an advantage. Mchale,whom I'm a fan of will sort it out hopefully. Casspi is a small forward,and he's not even an accomplished one at that. The rashard lewis model people tend to use tend to forget lewis made an all star in seattle as a sf who shot very we'll from 3,mid,and at the rim. That's what got him a bloated contract. Casspi is nowhere nor has he ever been a quarter the player lewis was.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This makes a lot of sense

the problem with not having an actual NBA 4 is that every starting line up will be situational, because neither Casspi nor Asik are properly sized for the PF position. We have to play around with it though and constantly switching it up according to who we are playing.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thread about getting Space.
    Asik and Casspi are protagonists and they did a mediocre job at it.

Bobcats were in the game the whole time.
    You try to cherrypick the little positives there.

Dwight and Garcia are the real winners tonight.
    Asik was alright. Casspi was so so.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

But there are almost no situations where you can start Garcia at the 4, and that's the point of this whole discussion.

The twin towers is gonna be a cheese strategy that we pull out once in a while vs very specific matchups so we don't get abused by stretch 4's like today.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, that can happen, that's why you play a legit 4 like DMo or Jones so that you can stay with them out on the perimeter while having a player that can add to the offense rather than just throwing a SF out there.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah that sounds like the most reasonable plan. I think we don't actually lose much by starting Jones, he's a decent defender who can guard all the 4's, and you have many options on offense so he doesn't have to be a liability.

I have to say that patpat would be great right now for this lineup

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

If McHale actually thought that Dmo or Jones were "legit 4"s, they wouldn't have their asses glued to the bench. Those two are barely NBA players, let alone "legit" anything.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, could your player analysis be any more laughable? Stick to what you are good at, I don't know what it is, but you have to be better at it than you are this.

1 person likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His whole point is to sell that DMo/Jones was a nuisance while Casspi is the real deal.

Casspi had one game as a starter and that was against Orlando while he still had a + in +- it was his worst game in preseason.

He is just not built to play strong against starters and borderline starters.
    You can argue that he should be eased into the starting line up slowly but you can also argue for Dmo/Jones.

1, Trade Value
    2, Development and it's not like Casspi is that much better against starting line ups

Asik and Howard is working ok but I think they shouldn't overdo it.....
    The offense is more stagnant with Asik and Beverley

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The whole point is Casspi as a starting PF is even more unproven than Dmo or Jones at starting PF

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

"Sell"? You gotta be blind or stupid if you still think I am trying to sell something. News flash: I'm not the one who gets to decide to bench their asses.

There are 3 players on the Rockets roster who are in the game playing PF right now, and that's Dwight, Parsons, and Casspi. Not Dmo, not Jones. You can go ask the guy who decided that what he's trying to sell. Don't blame that on me.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Since when did McHale become this great evaluator of talent or team chemistry for that matter. Morey tried to force McHale's hand last season to play Dmo by trading everyone else away. The problem wasn't Howard and Asik on the court together or should a say wasn't the primary problem. It was starting Beverly over Lin. You can't put all defensive team without offense.

What is Mchale trying to do hold the team to zero while we score 2. There is no question McHale loves Beverly but Murphy and Sampson both think Lin is the better starter and I agree 100%. And if you are going to go with twin towers than even more the reason to start Lin.

If you start Casspi than starting Beverly with him makes a little more sense, although I would still go with Lin. But the reality is if Casspi is are starter at PF we really suck at pf. I would still give Howard more time at PF because that's what you're really saying, "Is Casspi better than Howard at PF and the answer is a unamimous victory for Howard. Of course there are situations like friday night against Nowitzki where I would let Dirk shoot every shot until Howard guards him. And what Howard is going to have to do is learn how to play smarter D. But it isn't like Casspi can guard him either, And frankly we are not running any inside out basketball with Howard so far which makes having Casspi on the floor even less relevant.

All and all there are still a lot of kinks to get out and Howard playing smarter D against stretch 4's is something you have to play out to see if it's possible. Or this Asik and Howard thing becomes more of situational thing. But if the option is Casspi I would take alook at DMo or TJones again.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

and you should understand that preseason hype usually wears off after some time.

McHale said and I quote he is going to tinker with the line ups for two months.
    And all you take away is Casspi is a sure starter or major player at PF.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You've watched the rockets long enough and if dream didn't want to chase chambers or perkins at the 3pt line,why should we think howard wants to do it? Not only that,we also saw what happened to horry when we played those 90s sonics in which we lost 16 games in a row and forced the barkley trade. Kemp wore horry out because he was too small in frame.

I've made my peace and I would like to see jones and d-mo split time at the 4. To me both bring something different that's better than casspi and asik.With howard and asik,even the basic 2nd break becomes an issue. Just like when jvg decided to try battier at the 4. It took boozer 1 game to kill that noise. Hopefull the rockets win vs dirk,but you gotta know dirk is licking his chops watching them struggle with josh mcroberts.

18. zzpot

zzpot Member

I'm with you on this.. Casspi is great and Garcia could play some 2 guard if needed... But DMo is ready to play the 4.... He does not have to start.. just get time at the 4 every night. you can play Dmo at the 4 and Asik at the 5 and Casspi at the 3..

DMo needs to be playing soon. and playing down low on the blocks in the paint.

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This is a good post, except for the part where you compared TMo to a legit 4.

20. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

With all due respect to Mr. CXbby, I've said it once and I'll say it again, Casspi is a scrub. People shouldn't be fooled by the pre-season, because regular rotation players aren't trying that hard and performances in those games don't really mean much. He should be buried at the end of the bench. TJones, DMo, and Ronnie Brewer should all be receiving playing time ahead of him.