1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting 5...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aggie 99, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

Does it even matter who the starting five will be?

I have to believe that besides T-mac and Yao, Aledman is going to play everyone else (Rafer, Head, James, Scola, Battier, Steve, and Bonzi about the same amount of time). I just love the fact that we can play with just about any style from any team.

This is the most excited I have been about the Rockets since we aquired Scottie Pippen. I just hope I am not as wrong as I was that summer.

2. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

I dont know who that guy is...

but the starting 5 will be either

Yao
    Scola
    Battier
    T-mac
    Rafer

or

Yao
    Hayes
    Battier
    T-mac
    Rafer

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What on earth gives you that idea? Steve is not going to get many minutes.

Adelman said someone is not going to play.

4. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

u were excited for scottie pippen? he wasn't the same impact player when he left chicago. that guy was built for the triangle and THAT'S IT.

5. mag

mag Contributing Member

Why people keep insisting on Hayes as a starter. He should have never been a starter. He is a nice hustle guy and plays his role but he is not a starter.

6. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

I'm going by that because of what Rick has said... he says that Chuck surprized him with his play over and over. Now honestly i would rather Chuck start then bring luis off the bench at least that way when luis is in the game we have a pf who can score on more than just lay ups

7. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I don't know if it matters. Hayes is a good/decent passer. He makes the hustle play, and plays decent D. The good thing is that now he can play with high energy more often, because he has Scola to give him a rest. And vice versa.

8. Barkley

Barkley Member

Rafer
    McGrady
    Battier
    Scola
    Yao

I'd love FRancis to start but if he cannot do that i hope he will be in the rotation at least

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Who should have been the starter last year, then?

I don't understand why people find it necessary to categorize players as starters versus bench players. That seems very artificial to me. It's all about how groups work together and matchups. The primary starting five last year was excellent. Detractors like to point to the Utah series, while ignoring the mountain of evidence over the course of the entire regular season. Even if you specifically look at how that group did against the best teams in the league, or the best 5-man units in the league, they were dominant. And yet, we're to believe that Rafer, Chuck, and (some even say) Shane aren't capable of being effective starters.

Thank god Adelman isn't that close-minded.

#9 durvasa, Oct 22, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  10. AXG

AXG Member

Chuck is a role player off the bench. He's an energy guy who hustles and makes plays on defense. Luis is similar to Chuck defensively but has a much better offensive game.

11. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Deke
    Novak
    Snyder
    Head
    Francis

I'm sure they'll all be the first 5 squad to cheer up our best guys.

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I really like Scola as the starter. I think Chuck compliments Yao pretty well with his hustle play. But I think Scola gives you similar hustle energy plus adds a legit scoring threat.

With all our guns sitting on the bench, Chuck playing in the 2nd unit with guys like Mike James and Bonzi and Steve makes more sense now.

13. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Yes, because you want to still have SOME offense coming off the bench.

Starting Hayes & having Hayes/Deke on the floor at the same time cuts our offensive capability. Scola/Deke of the bench for Hayes/Yao.

14. metalshred

metalshred Member

It'll be great to hav the following combination on the court:

Yao+Hayes
    Mutombo+Scola

We get both boards and scoring+defense

15. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Because that 5's +/- from last year was one of the best lineups . . . IN THE LEAGUE.

Why break that down?

16. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Hayes is more effective offensively when he's playing with Yao or Tmac or both because the D is focused on the superstars, then he's great in finding his way to be open. Thsi is in addtion to their pik n rol play with tmac.

17. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

This guy is obviously a troll. The Scottie comment gave it away.

18. metalshred

metalshred Member

then who do u suggest should hav been our starting PF last season? Juwan got traded, only Jake and Novak were left. Hayes did an amazing job last year, u saw how many times i was found in the open? he was just great defensively. Undersized, but defends bigger.

19. gta

gta Member

+1
    Hayes will share the starting role with Scola. 1 thing for sure, Hayes and Deke playing together ain't a good idea. Hayes is more effective playing with Yao

20. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Chuck???