1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Startin' PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Barkley, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Barkley

Barkley Member

I decided to establish that thread cause for me (and probably not only for me) it's very important. In the offseason we got 3 new point guards, I mean Brooks, James and Francis and we still have Rafer Alston. They're really good players, but Adelman will have to make a decision whos of these 4 should start. I just want to know your opinion about that: Steve Francis, Rafer Alston, Aaron Brooks or Mike James?

Rafer Alston
    - First of all I'm not sure if he will be still a Rocket next season but right now he is. We all know how he played last season and what did he do in the PO series. He's a very quick guard, he has a great crossover but I still don't know why he doesn't use it. Last season he was more of a "shooter" than playmaker (which he should be). But right now with other point guards he should be more clever and maybe he'll drive more, maybe...

Mike James
    -For me he isn't a real playmaker either. He is more a point guard with shootin' skills but I think that he can change his game under Adelman. Mike is a very solid player, he can drive, pass the ball to his teammates but he can also knock down a 3 when he wants. His last season with Raptors told you everything : more than 20 PPG and 45 (or even more) % from 3-point line. In Rockets he doesn't have to do that cause we have guys who are scorers, we have T-Mac and Yao.

Steve Francis - Well I don't have to translate who's Steve Francis. Everybody remembers him and I think most of you guys like him. Right now he maybe isn't as effective player as he was in the past but he's still very good. Francis is a very quick guard, who can drive, dunk and that penetrations could be really good for us. When he gets a double team he can pass to the open guy. He isn't a great shooter but I won't leave him open. Generally a smart guy and I'm sure he'll help us.

Aaron Brooks - That's pretty sure for me that he won't start. He can be good but in the future, he's so young. That will be his first season so I don't expect big things from him but he will really fit in Adelman's up themo game.

FOr me our starter right now is Steve Francis. Why? Cause he's guick and he can make the game a lot easier for Tracy and Yao (Maybe Battier sometimes) and he can score by himself.

2. Dei

Dei Member

I say we make Tracy 6th man and start Francis.

Yao + Francis has absolutely no chance of phail; and, seeing from recent Tracy-Yao games, it may work out better for the team, as a whole, considering Tracy gets complacent when he's playing with Yao. In turn, Tracy should dominate any bench in the league.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The last choice is "Let Adelman decide."

I'm wondering what the other choices mean? That Adelman will not decide and votes tallied on this thread will instead?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

After watching Scola run the PnR so well in the Fiba games, I am concerned that the only Rocket PG capable of playing that style of basketball is Aaron Brooks....

None of the rest of the guys on the team have ever been succesful at PnR....as the distributor....

V-Span would have been, but we got Scola....so now......I hope that one of them can pick it up.

DD

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This exact poll is on the <A href="http://www.clutchcity.net">front page</a> ... Steve Francis is way ahead, Mike James is a distant second ... Rafer is last.

"Let Adelman decide" is not really a good poll choice.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Are you drinking? Why not bench Yao and start Deke when we are at it?
    Deke could not last the whole game, and yao would provide instance points.

Anyway, until AB proves that he play in a consistent basis, i'm still abit reserved about him, he make have show glimses of what he is capable of by doing those Alley-hoop passes, but one thing that have not been shown is his ability to defend and his assist to turnover ratio.

So for now, unless rox trade rafer away, i still think rafer would be a better fit compare to SF3 and mike to Yao and tmac.

7. Barkley

Barkley Member

I agree with you but think, he's rookie so I'm sure he will be scared. Let's wait 2 or 3 years:) That's our future

8. Dei

Dei Member

@Alvin Choo

Why not?

Yao + Francis worked years ago. Francis dropped of in production, but Yao hasn't just become better, he's dominating.

It's like getting the starting line-up of the Rockets circa 2003 with the Orlando Magic as your backup.

9. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

good thread topic. glad it wasn't "who should start at pf?"

people complain that steve shoots too much, but it is actually mike james who is more suited to come off the bench and be an instant offense styled player.

ab is a much better overall player than jl3 so there shouldn't be any comparison other than their closeness in height, and he will get some minutes this year. although realistically we shouldn't expect too much from him until next year.

10. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

francis cannot run a pick and roll OR a fastbreak to save his life. mike james and aaron brooks are much better at pick and rolls and fastbreaks than him. i dont want francis to dribble upcourt at all. it has to be mike james and then aaron brooks will start later in the season bank on it.

11. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Anyone can run the PnR. Was the first thing you learned when you joined organized basketball. Don't tell me that Francis can't run the PnR hatah.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

first of all its spelled hater... just in case you didn't know.

And though the PnR may be something you learned early in basketball fundamentals, not everyone can do it well. If you go too early or too late you cause your pick player (ie Yao at times) to pick up unnecessary fouls. The last person you want primarily handling the ball in a PnR motion offense is someone who doesn't know how to read a screen and move accordingly.

Personally I haven't seen enough of Francis or James to make an educated guess on who Adelman will choose to be the starter, or to be honest, who he is going to have running the point. From what I understand both players are shooters rather than distributors.

I am just going to be excited to see the combinations that play together on the court when the pre-season begins.

13. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

so is the fast break, but we all know francis AND luther head cant run a fast break to save their lives. not everyone can a run pick and roll. it takes someone who can decide quickly whether to make a pinpoint pass or take a shot.

Francis runs a pick and roll only one way. he goes over the pick, doesnt even LOOK at the roller, and just dribbles stationary between his legs for 5 seconds. By that time the defense has recovered and nothing was accomplished.

Francis lacks the mentality and passing ability to efficiently run a pick and roll.

14. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

You are amazing.

15. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

u are kidding,aren't u?

16. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Barkley nice home page ;) I have similiar one ( in signature )

17. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

:rolleyes:

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Francis can't run a fast break (though he can fill the lane)..

But he's not quite as bad as you say on the PnR. He's ok. Definitely got Cato a bunch of dunks and helped give him that contract ;)

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

This question hardly makes sense when you consider there are only two players who qualify for the position of starting POINT GUARD, and only one of them is a PLAYMAKER POINT GUARD. Alston is a point guard but has little skill to be the floor general, so that leaves BROOKS as the only choice.
    Francis and James are shoot first type Point Guards and are not able to control the play of a team playing Team Basketball. Their slightly selfifh mind sets makes them the great scorers that they are.
    LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD and understood, Coach A will try and use all his players to the best of their ability and not like JVG try and make them into something that they are not. :p

20. Barkley

Barkley Member

Thanks:) That's polish side about Houston Rockets. I can be hard for people who doesn't know english but that's the only site about Rockets (Polish side). There is also a page about T-Mac