1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starters and Bench Stats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoT, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I guess "front runner" is a little too strong for me.

By midseason and barring a trade...

-I'd say Alston has a 60% chance of starting, 75% chance of major PT/above 20MPG.

-I'd say Snyder has a 50% chance of starting, 65% chance of major PT. (If Snyder doesn't start I suspect he goes in the doghouse, make or break for him).

-I'd say Head has a 20% chance of starting at SG, 15% at the PG. 80% of major PT (Head is one of our most known quantities either as a starter or off the bench).

-I'd say VSpan has a 15% chance of starting at SG and 10% at the PG. 50% chance of major PT (As promising as he is in international ball we have to be realistic of VS not being ready for the prime time in the NBA this year, a huge transition for him).

-I'd say JL3 has a 15% chance to start at the PG and 33% chance of major PT.

-I'd say Jacobsen has a 10% chance to start at the SG and 33% chance of major PT.

-I'd say Azub has a 10% chance to start at the SG and 25% chance of major PT.

So my way of thinking is it is all up for grabs in the backcourt, starting spots and key roles. And if Sura can provide minutes, this whole thing gets turned on its head. Or if all the SGs suck too bad maybe Tmac starts there, SB at the 3 and JH at the 4, and this thing gets turned on its head.

#21 Desert Scar, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Desert Scar,

You're much more positive about Jacobson, JLIII, and Azub than I am. Head is the only backcourt player that I have confidence. Alston is one of those players that no matter how bad he plays, I think JVG will start him unless Morey trades him.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

It is not as much of an endorsement of those players (CJ, JL3, Azub) as much as being lukewarm about Alston, Snyder, VS and Head for various reasons. One shot atrocious over last year and is in a role one has to shoot efficiently from the outside to be effective, one has the most raw talent but has been a thorn in the side of two coaches already, one has never played a lick of NBA ball, and the one you have confidence in/the one most consistent is really a tweener whose probable best role is off the bench.

If any of these guys were sure fire starting caliber NBA players/teammates the others prospects would be very slim for starting, but the former just isn't there. I think all positions/roles are up for grabs, including the starting job.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

DS,

I would agree with your assessments on Alston, Snyder, and VSpan. CJ is primarily a 3 point shooter whose career average is not much better than Alston's, but Alston's primary job isn't shooting threes. JLIII isn't even a tweener and will be hard pressed to pass Alston...I'd say VSpan's European experience and height gives him a 2:1 edge over JLIII (This is the biggest battle I see for PT among the guards, but neither has a shoot at Alston). Abuz...people that come in like him usually need a year of bench riding and blowout minutes before they get major PT.

That said...I really hope the Rockets trade for a PG.