1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starks, 10 years later

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jun 21, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/23407.htm

STARKS REALITY By MARC BERMAN (not our MB, NYPost's)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    June 21, 2004 --

John Starks and Patrick Ewing are great friends. But to this day, for 10 years, they have never discussed Game 7 of the 1994 NBA Finals against the Houston Rockets.

"He never brings it up," Starks said. "He was disappointed. I know it's painful for him to relive."

Tomorrow marks the 10-year anniversary of Game 7, the John Starks Game. He was 2-for-18 that night and 0-for-11 from 3-point range at the Summit in Houston — a horrific shooting night that cost Pat Riley's Knicks the championship, cost Ewing his best chance at a ring. The Knicks still haven't won a title going on 31 years.

Despite one of the most tragic nights in Knick history, Starks, the former supermarket clerk, has remained a Garden folk hero and escaped becoming basketball's Bill Buckner. Starks is given a standing ovation every time he attends a game and is introduced. He is now the head coach of the Westchester Wildfire of the ABL, preparing for a playoff series next week, likely in Dodge City.

The ferocious shooting guard with the wild shooting streak believes the Rockets dodged a bullet 10 years ago when they rallied from 3-2 down to win the final two at home.

"I know I didn't sleep the night before just because my emotions were going through me the whole day," said Starks, who also does commentary for MSG Network. "I tried to lay down and sleep and couldn't do it. I let the emotions get the best of me preparation-wise for that game."

Starks was antsy indeed. In Game 6, he had 16 points in the fourth quarter as the Knicks staged a monster rally. Down two points, in the dying seconds, Starks got a pick from Ewing at the top of the key, dribbled through Hakeem Olajuwon and pulled up for the potential championship-winning 3-pointer. Olajuwon managed to backpedal and block the shot. And force Game 7.

"I thought we were going to win Game 6, but we didn't play a complete game," Starks said. "I put pressure on myself to try to duplicate my fourth quarter in Game 6. When you do that, you don't play a relaxed game. And you have to play relaxed in a game like that. I pressed the whole game."

The critics knocked Riley for not benching Starks in the fourth quarter for Rolando Blackman, who was virtually ignored in that series.

"The nature of that whole season, I would be cold during a stretch of the ball game and Coach Riley had been through a lot games knowing if I hit one shot, it turns," Starks said. "He was banking on me hitting that one shot, but it never came. It was a trust factor myself and Coach Riley had."

Jeff Van Gundy, then Riley's trusty assistant, thought leaving Starks in the game was a no-brainer. "I totally agreed then and now with Coach Riley playing John even though he wasn't shooting well," Van Gundy said. "John was one of the great streak shooters/scorers in the NBA at that time. He only needed one shot to ignite him and our team. Rolando, at the time, was a shell of himself. He had a back injury that he never quite shook after he came to us."

There were no words in the locker room afterward. "We were just in shock," Starks said. "We weren't able to talk until we got home. And I think Patrick and the guys felt bad for me."

Yet the fans have not held a grudge. "In New York, they appreciate the effort even if you don't win," Starks said. "The fans know I was out there trying to bring home a championship to New York. It wasn't for lack of effort and they appreciated I always gave more than 100 percent."

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Whatever. . .if it helps him sleep at nite

Rocket River

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I probably should have titled the Thread, 'The Lighter Side of 10 Years Ago'.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

why is this in here

5. PhiSlammaJamma

He's a knick. Same as a Rocket these days.

6. Glish21

Glish21 Member

hahaha, makes it sound like the rockets were the luckiest team ever to manage to beat the almighty john starks

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i have already gotten used to people thinking we got lucky with both rings. there will allways be another excuse why we shoudn't have won.

jordan wasnt there, starks was off, did have to play seattle...

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

:D

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dont forget Maxwell had a magnificent game 7 performance and no one talks about it. They only talk about the bricks Starks threw up.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Who cares. He's a loser and always will be.

11. mulletman

mulletman Member

somehow, i think if the knicks had won the series, they would be considered great champions (as opposed to what they consider the 94 rockets) and the series would be considered one of the best ever:rolleyes:

12. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Actually, what cost the Knicks the championship was the play of Hakeem, Vern, Robert Horry, and Sam Cassell.

And that wasn't New York's "best" chance at a ring. Their 1993 team was better, won more games, and had Chicago down 2-0 in the ECF-- not to mention that Phoenix would have been a better matchup for them than Houston was.

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Should we officially change this site to the NY Knicks?

14. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

Starks didn't "cost the Knicks" a championship. It was Hakeem out playing Ewing throughout the series. He was way better, just a little better and the Rox won by a little. To blame it on Starks just isn't right. Without Starks the Knicks don't win games 4 and 5 and almost pullout 6. With game 7 in the final minute and the Rox clinging to a 3 point lead Hakeem hit a shot with Ewing drapped all over him to make it 5 and then Ewing missed a similar shot after Hakeem backed off him because he had 5 fouls. That missed shot was the ball game becuase Maxwell hit a 3 right before ths shot clock ran out to make in 8 point lead and end it. Starks had nothing to do with that except that he was guarding Maxwell and sagged off him just a little toward Hakeem. I've heard Knick fans crying about "Starks this and that" but it's just sour grapes...the bottom line is our guy out played their guy.