1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Wait, it took Germany 14 years to gain control of one country on one planet. AND, they lost in their expansion plans.

That's kind of my point. The Empire could not have grown to maturity in only 20 years. I mean you have Empire military veterans on those big ships who looked like they had been Empire officers for 30-40 years. The original Star Wars existed in a universe in which the Empire had obviously been the big dark looming presence over the galaxy for many generations at the very least. I could see MAYBE as little as 80-100 years, but even that would be a big stretch as such things would have to go. Just building a bureaucratic infrastructure large enough to manage such an empire would take longer than 20 years all by itself.

I know it's silly to even talk about - it's just fantasy fiction after all. It's just annoying that so little thought was put into it, that's all.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The empire was just the Old Republic with an emperor. Those who disagreed with the emperor formed a rebellion. Those that didn't, were ready made military leaders and bureaucrats. The Senate of the Old Republic wasn't disbanded until A New Hope.

3. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I really liked Rogue One, but something still nags me a bit about the all-too-easily-transitioned ending.

NERDRANT proceed:

Rogue One's plot makes the conversation between Leia and Vader at the beginning of A New Hope completely illogical. Leia says she was on a diplomatic mission, but Vader just witnessed first-hand her ship exiting from the middle of the giant space battle that was occurring.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

maybe leia is just a really bad liar?

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

She's lying. What else can she do? He is certain that he's right...and what he says to her communicates that. But of course she's gonna say, "I have no idea what you're talking about...."

mikol13 likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Clearly true [EDIT] fan MadMax has long ago put himself into the shoes... or royal slippers... of Princess Leia. *Hat tip*

#766 B-Bob, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    MadMax likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Max is not only true fun, Max is a true fan! Add my *hat tip* to yours, B-Bob. Meanwhile, I'm taking my shoes off and chilling after a few days outside of Fredericksburg at a cabin with gorgeous Hill Country views and a fantastic hot tub. Hanging my hat after the tip and continuing the relaxation. As someone who saw the original Star Wars the day it came out and has a copy unsullied by the madness that possessed Lucas when he played around with what was already a science fiction classic, I'm always going to be a Star Wars fanatic. Maybe I'm too critical of Rogue One. My main criticism?

I hated the ending! I prefer some kind of "good" ending, at least in this genre. Heck, even arguably the best, and darkest, of the films, The Empire Strikes Back, left you with hope for the principal characters. That there was none for the main characters of Rogue One (heck, the brave chick didn't even get a kiss from her brave companion before being obliterated - the injustice of it all!) bothered me a lot. Even the goofy, yet "brave" robot bought it. Bummer!

mikol13, MadMax and B-Bob like this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

his plan has more movies available and a clash. you forgot about "Heroes on both sides" and The Empire Did Nothing Wrong people.

I would watch a movie from the Empire perspective. They have to make one of these every year until eternity now. Don't just shoot down ideas.

9. VanityHalfBlack

Can't wait to buy this on blu so I can watch it over and over again!!!

mikol13 likes this.
  10. Nero

Nero Member

Just remember, that whole 'Heroes on both sides' BS came from Lucas in the 'prequels', which completely invalidates the idea because Lucas is an idiot and a terrible writer ;)

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Personally, I feel like Lucas did an exceptional job explaining and telling the story of the rise of evil, through the good yet misguided intentions of Annakin, so it seems to me like the first six movies are entirely dedicated to showing you both sides and if there is one thing he did right, this was it. And he did it cleanly. Something few storytellers, or even humans have been able to do in real life. I mean this is what the entire thing is about right? No problem at all with seeing both sides if they choose to do that since that's what they've been doing all along. And let's not forget that half of our kids root for Vader and the empire almost exclusively. Not everyone is light side. And the video games that give you choice prove it. Think movies do generally need happy endings because the audiences crave walking away with it, that's been proven quite a bit, especially with changes to the endings of movies like Shawshank Redemption, but thought that Rogue delivered that inspite of the epic death of the good guys. I left thinking way to go Rogue One, you did it.

#771 PhiSlammaJamma, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Purchased the digital download through Amazon and watched this weekend my younger son. Upon further review...and I can't believe I'm saying this...Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars movie.

13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I still need to see it

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've always been a causal SW fan but Rogue one really won me over, only SW I've seen twice at the theater. Looking forward to picking it up on bluray next week.

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Dude... I'm a HUGE fan since I was a kid and I'm with you. Bought the digital download Friday morning and have watched it twice already (after seeing it twice in the theater). It's just a great, great movie. Before Friday, I would've said, "I love it, but you're crazy... it can't be your favorite Star Wars movie." Now I'm not so sure... it's probably 1A and 1B with Empire for me now.

MadMax likes this.
  16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Can I rent it digitally yet or do I have to buy digital

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Unbelievably well done. Diego Luna FTW

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Wow really? I liked it, but I definitely thought it had some problems. I'd call it 3rd or 4th best.

eric.81 likes this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

I re-watched this week too. When I left the theater originally I walked out thinking it the best Star Wars movie I'd ever seen, and even re-watching it now it still holds true. This movie was just absolutely entertaining.

eric.81 likes this.