1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wow.

I am a tota Star Wars mark and this easily sits near the top. I'm hesitant to rank it with empire and new hope because of nostalgia, but this was amazing.

All of the fan service was outstanding and the cgi actors were well done.

mikol13 likes this.
  2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Best robot ever.

Richie_Rich, jev5555, Blake and 2 others like this.
  3. 713

713 Member

I liked it, Kinda disappointed about the cliffhanger ending. Has Rogue Two been confirmed? I can't wait to see more Vader if so. Who was the girl in the end that said something about Hope?

...And did anyone else think Donnie Yen's character's staff would turn into a light saber on the beach when he was repeating his line about the force?

#543 713, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    CCorn and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was thinking the same thing. It looked like one.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Dude K2 is the greatest character in entertainment history.

6. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Either way the meatbags don't stand a chance.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This was the best one by far. I, II and III felt too kiddie, IV, V, and VI are just dated. VII tried too hard to be like IV, V and VI. Rogue One had its own unique feel and perfectly explained the mystery behind the message in IV.
    I loved how they left no one alive even though everyone need the secret. It retained the mystery on the weakness of the Death Star

Richie_Rich likes this.
  8. VanityHalfBlack

Die Hard, Aliens,T2,Rogue One= best action movie of all time.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I think it was freaking awesome but I can't wait for the episode 8 thread when everyone says how much better it is than rogue one. Lol.
    Force awakens was like the 2nd or 3rd best Star Wars film in its own thread but now apparently everyone hates it? But anyways, both of these movies are The Godfather compared to any of the prequels.

The last act is about as good as it gets in Star Wars world.
    The robot was hilarious.
    I guess they had me fooled but I didn't find the CGI character distracting at all.

Will probably see it again next weekend.

VanityHalfBlack and Blake like this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The problem with Force Awakens, and this has been true since it came out, is that it was a copy of Episode 4. I enjoyed it a lot, and definitely don't understand those who think it's garbage, but it was essentially a remake. It was a good remake, but a remake nonetheless.

Rogue One was an entirely new story which I appreciated a lot.

11. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Beginning started out weird, but after all the jumping around, it became really intense. I can understand why some won't like this movie... the tone is very different from any of the other Star Wars movies... but I loved it.

I still like Aliens / Empire Strikes Back / Star Trek 2 as my favorite sci-fi franchise movies. But this is at that level. For me, it is better than any of the rebooted Star Trek or Star Wars films.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This was certainly the most unique of all the Star Wars movies from the way it started all the way to the way it ended. I absolutely loved the movie. I think I enjoyed "The Force Awakens" slightly better but this one felt completely new.

I will watch it again for sure. I'm not sure where I rank it in the Star Wars universe but probably 3rd behind TFA and ESB. I know most will also put it behind ANH but as much as I loved that movie and as important as that movie was to the franchise I really think I enjoyed R1, TFA & ESB more.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Agree. As I have watched ANH more and more, I realize it can be painfully slow at times. TFA may be somewhat of a remake, but those similar elements and nostalgiac moments I feel were important to successfully rebooting the franchise; to get people, old and young, caring about Star Wars again. Now that they've done that, they tread into uncharted territory with Rogue One and do something completely different. No Skywalkers, no Jedi and lightsaber, much darker, bleak tone. And people are loving it.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This movie was great. Definitely a top 3 Star Wars flick.

Interestingly, my 6 year old wasn't as enameled. I think too young still to really understand how it fits into the story. So he thought there was too much talking in between the battle scenes.

And to be fair there is a fair amount of dialogue that ultimately is just filling in the gaps to help the audience understand where everything fits. But that's ok...

They did an amazing job overall of fitting it in without pushing it in your face.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Agreed. I don't have a problem with the route they chose to go with Force Awakens but there are some things where I wish they thought it through a little more. Another freaking Death Star??? But it was so entertaining that I just didn't care that it was a reboot.

I keep a new hope at #2 for nostalgia reasons but force awakens and rogue one are firmly 3a and 3b.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Besides the character at the end, who was the other CGI character?

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

General Tarken aka Peter Cushing.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

And this is why I wasn't distracted by the CGI. It was so good most people couldn't even tell.

Grand Moff Tarkin played by Peter Cushing who has been dead for over 20 years.

Richie_Rich and Torn n Frayed like this.
  19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Ah ok. At the time I did notice something odd about the characters but it wasn't distracting at all.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hmmm. Is he still losing baby teeth?

BabyClutch likes this.