1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Pretty amazing stuff. I don't think you can compare directly to the trilogies because it has such a different feel.

I loved all the world designs and the gritty, militaristic feel.

The action is incredible. It's so much more intense than anything you've seen in a Star Wars film. And the space battle was epic. Loved the POV X-Wing shots!

The costume and vehicle designs had just the right amount of originality and familiarity.

The protanginsts were all likeable and sympathetic in their own ways, the villains well written, and the cast turned in fine performances. Not as memorable as other performances in the franchise's history but good.

The score was perfect and memorable.

Loved all the connections to ANH.

Vader's scenes were incredible and brutal.

Say what you will about Force Awakens, but both these new films have so much detail and love put into them that I'm gonna enjoy watching them over and over!

mikol13 likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Yep, that's a pretty badass moviie.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I think people are overhyped from just watching it. It was great, I would place it somewhere in the middle of all the star wars films, but the movie wasn't perfect. The development in the beginning was snail pace slow and I'm one of those that was distracted by the CGId actors. Really took me out of the movie. That being said, the last third of the film was EPIC.

4. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

The star wars movie I've always wanted!!!

Richie_Rich and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Nope. That won't happen. Just wait for it...you'll know.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For me, I was fine with the slow pace early because the payoff was worth it, hell one of the most common complaints is lack of character development which would have required an even slower pace for the first 2/3 of the movie. I think given where they were going the level of character development was just fine though.

As to the CGI actors, well, you don't really have much of a choice. Sure there's 1 CGI character you could eliminate without hurting anything, but the other guy is vital to having this movie made.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This is my favorite star wars film yet. Slightly better than Empire Strikes Back.

Richie_Rich and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Mother of god that was cool.

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've seen it 2x, and though I could nitpick about the archives station follies...

I still give it a solid 10. Outstanding movie.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  10. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

So better than Force Awakens?

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No way was it better than Empire but it was ****ing awesome. Vader..

but holy **** they killed EVERYONE

#531 Blake, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    VanityHalfBlack and CCorn like this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I really enjoyed TFA. That said this movie was wayyyy better. It was so ****ing intense. Vader mother of god.

If I didn't have Christmas parties I would go see it again. The last 40 minutes are crazy.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Way better. Rogue one felt real, what I mean is you are immerse in the story. Of course it's a Star Wars movie but what I mean is, It had a serious tone. There are some fun fun in the sun moments but that third act and the cast involved dealt with some pretty serious consequences. Like all great action movies, the main Hero has to fight from a struggle because it gives you a reason to root for them. The action makes sense, it's not just fan service because you want to see tie flighters blowing up for the sake of it because it's cool. It is cool but all the action had a struggle. In some ways this movie is kinda anti war right? War is ugly. Stop War. World Peace. Force Awakens sucks!

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  14. VanityHalfBlack

That's why it's my favorite movie of the year. Unfair, I didn't see a lot of movies cause they suck but this one satisfied me for at least 3 months.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So estimated to do 145 first weekend which is 15-25 million more than they expected. IF it has the same staying power and international appeal as TFA it can do 1.17 billion worldwide total box office.

That's unbelievable. Disney bought the golden goose. A group of low paid actors (RDJ is getting 50 million for iron man now) are beating everything in their path in a movie that says Star Wars and they are releasing one every single year. I thought 800 because not many moviegoers have actually seen the originals (think gen z) but no laser swords or nostalgia trailers.

Every star wars production's budget probably just increased by 30%.

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Leads name is far too close to P* actress Jayna Oso!! Jontro falls in faint!

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat, in fact I audibly cheered
    as the blast wave hit Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor
    I didn't mean to, it just happened like that. In a million years I wouldn't have thought Disney had the balls to do that......and there was more awesomeness to come.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I went solo on Friday morning.

I was just sitting there smiling the whole time. For the first time in a long time I was genuinely pleased I spent x amount of $$ on a movie.

Hopefully they just showed Episode 8 how to do it.

Movie was just all kinds of gangsta!!!

Richie_Rich likes this.
  19. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Much better than TFA. I liked how the main girl really wasn't all that special. Much more realistic even if there could have been a little more characterization for a bigger emotional payoff at the end.

Richie_Rich and justtxyank like this.
  20. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

I'm going to need to watch this at least 15 more times to say if it's better than Empire.
    .....watching Robotech back in the day. Hell, Japanese sci-fi anime is always killing characters off left and right. Kudos to Disney for having some brass balls.