1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Wars]Lucas Set To Release Star Wars Saga On BluRay

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jtotheb, Aug 15, 2010.

1. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Finally.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/14/george-lucas-officially-announces-star-wars-on-blu-ray-in-2011/

George Lucas officially announces Star Wars on Blu-ray in 2011
    By Richard Lawler posted Aug 14th 2010 6:05PM

As rumored, all six Star Wars movies will be released together on Blu-ray in 2011 for the 35th anniversary of the release of A New Hope. George Lucas personally announced the set on stage at the Celebration V event, and showed off a deleted scene from Return of the Jedi that will be included (embedded after the break.) While the "highest picture and audio quality" and extensive special features are promised, what won't make it to Blu-ray are the original versions of the movies; Lucas told the New York Times that only the special editions will be included, since restoring the original versions in high enough quality would cost too much. No word on price, release date or any plans to release the films individually, but if you can stand living in a world where Greedo shot first then this will certainly be on next year's shopping list.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I call bull**** on the original versions. He's going to release these now because people will buy them since it is the only version available and then several years later "because of fan response" :rolleyes: he will release the originals and everyone will buy them up again. He's done this over and over again. You can bet there will be 15 different versions out within the next 10 years. It's sickening but I know I'll buy the ****ing things and then later when he releases the originals I'll buy those ****ing things as well. I hate you George Lucas!!

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Ha, he doesn't want to include the original version because they don't exist to him anymore...and I'm curious to know, after milking the original trilogy for as much as it's worth, what deleted scenes could be on there that aren't already.

I love me some Star Wars, but I'd rather not double dip when I got them on DVD already.

4. jtotheb

Quite honestly, I don't know if it would be worth the purchase unless:

- You have a home theater setup that will support and utilize a Dolby TrueHD surround environment
    - You are jonesing for all the special features that are sure to be included on a 50GB bluray

My original dvd set was lost in a move awhile back...so I'll probably get the bluray set when it's released.

5. jtotheb

Oh, and here's the deleted scene snippet in case you don't want to click on the link:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UdJ0E7HbTKc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UdJ0E7HbTKc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think I have the originals on Laser disc in storage somewhere.

DD

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

whats happening here?

8. jtotheb

I believe it's a deleted scene from ROTJ, before Luke went in to try and free Han. It looks like all he's doing is "tuning up" his lightsaber. I almost fell out of my chair laughing at all the cheering that went on when they showed that scene.

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

lololol. thats what i thought. the cheering threw me off. i thought it was something special.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Ugh, I'm sure they cut it for a reason. Seeing the light saber for the first time as it is flying through the air is way more powerful. The worst thing to happen to DVDs are these "unrated" garbage trends. Movies have scenes that were cut for pacing or other good reasons. Now they are getting put back in the movie for publicity. Just garbage.

11. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I can in this thread only to wish that Star Wars would just disappear. Hasn't it already done enough damn to this country? The U.S. will soon have a major reproductive problem if Star Wars continues to produce virgin after virgin.

That is all.

1 person likes this.
  12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

This is the last Star Wars purchase I've made. I actually wish I had gotten the ones pre-special edition, but what can you do?

[​IMG]

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Definitely the cheering is kinda stupid...

...but I think the reason they are cheering is because this scene is showing him build his lightsaber, which I believe is something you have to do in order to become a Jedi. So they were probably geeking out at seeing him actually build it, or finish building it.

I actually thought it was the Emperor at first.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

"it would cost too much to put the originals on Blu Ray" such horse****. It's dumb, but I honestly think Lucas will have to pass away before we get them released properly. And even then I'm sure there'll be a legal fight with the estate.

For sure -
    Vader reaching out to him is too much of a repeat from the end of Empire
    Seeing Luke in the cloak takes away from the 'reveal' when he creeps into the palace in the middle of the night.

Now that we've all seen it 824 times, it's halfway cool to watch him finish up the new lightsaber.

15. runamok

runamok Member

Wait a second, did anybody hear about 3-D? I thought I heard something about this a while back, and Lucas was sold on releasing these movies on 3-D

16. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I'll buy day one. I think I only own the original (and the prequel trilogy) on DVD. I have Empire and Return of The Jedi on VHS but I dont even know if our VCR player works anymore.

Though I'm hoping its not way overpriced. Even though it probably will be.

17. Raven

Raven Member

VHS, ka-ching
    Laser Disc, ka-ching
    DVD, ka-ching
    Blu-Ray, ka-ching
    3D, ka-ching

That's a lot of ka-ching!

:grin:

18. Southern Select

19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

20. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Thats such BS how they try to rob people out of their money. I don't know anyone who prefers the updated versions to the original and yet Lucas is pulling this $#!+. What an @$$hole.

He's not alone either. Lord of the Rings not coming out with the extended editions at the same time as the originals is the same thing. Oh and Modern Warfare 2 having a limited release on one system then charging the same full price when dropping it on the other. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

People can get upset over the Wall Street folks who burned the country, but everyday this is becoming our normal business operating procedures. However you can screw more money out of the consumer. :mad:

/rant