1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STAR WARS I

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Nov 30, 2001.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Rewatching this movie on regular TV gave me the chance to think about the casting and characters. I don't think Jar-Jar got a fair shake. He wasn't that bad. Overall, the movie was better the second time around.

Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi); A+

Jake Lloyd (Anakin Skywalker), D- to F, this kid should have never been cast.

Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon Jinn), A+, they should have kept him alive. He was one of the better characters in the whole series.

Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu), A+, hope he gets a bigger role next time.

Natalie Portman (Queen Amidala/Padme), B+, She did fine, but isn't she a little short for a princess?

Ray Park (Darth Maul), A+, why did they kill the cool character.

Ian McDiarmid (Senator Palpatine), C, However, his face is perfect for his role. I'll give him a chance to develop.

Frank Oz (Yoda), A, what can you say.

Ahmed Best (Jar-Jar), B-, I didn't think he was that bad, but I don't see how they can squeeze him into the next movie.

Shmi Skywalker (mother), C+, there was no depth to her character. They will be forced to develop her story, but I didn't like her.

Flying Creature that owned Annakin, B, Probably good enuff to bring back.

Nute Gunray, C-, leader who invaded Naboo and Princess, kill this guy and his people.

Ki-Adi-Mundi , F, Dumb jedi with large cranium. Whatever.

Bibble, Sio , governor of Naboo, B, a who cares character.

Captain Panaka , The Princess' right hand security man, F-, the worst character if you ask me. He should die soon or turn to the dark side.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I remember that 3 person fight scene between Liam/Ewan/ and Ray. When they were seperated by the laser shields, the look on Park's face was scary. Also, I was sort of surprised that Qui gon died legitimately. He was outclassed by the sith.

I heard the sith was a clone though?

3. Holden

Holden Member

ive never seen star wars, any of them. isnt that amazing? ive seen the end of the first one, but i fell asleep in the middle, ive never seen any of them straight through.

and yet ive seen all 6 star treks, sad huh?

:eek:

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Oh, Phi.. I totally disagree with you here.

Jar-Jar absolutely <b>ruined</b> this movie for me. Every time I was just starting to get into the story, the idiot would say or do something totally stupid and out of character (for the series) that would just make me want to throw a boot through the TV. It wasn't just a few scenes either - Jar-Jar literally ruined almost every damn scene. He wasn't funny and he was borderline racist. He did absolutely nothing good for the film.

I hated Jar-Jar.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I dont know why, but Ive seen the first one a number of times, at least 5, and it generally gets better every time. Now, for the ultimate experience, purchase it on DVD. If you have any osrt of sound system, it is just amazing. The extras are pretty good, and with a perfectly crisp progressive scan/component video DVD player it become a very good DVD in my opinion.

6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

huh ? could you explain the racist part :confused:

I don't agree with your assesment of the kid.I thought he did a pretty good job but was given some crappy lines to work with.

She was great imo...how tall is a princess supposed to be :confused:

Why do you think they will be forced to develop her character ? Seems to me she has no farther use.

I pretty much agree with the rest...oh except I've seen it about 3 times and jar-jar still sucks.

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

haha...
    I thought it was Capt. Binaca! (like the breath freshener)

:D
    rH

8. gr8-1

I think Dr of Dunk played him.

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Good lord, I've never disagreed with someone so much Phi...

Jar-Jar was HORRIBLE. I don't think he was racist (the whole thing stemmed from his slightly Jamaican accent, much like the Asian-sounding baddies from the Trade Federation). Jar-Jar nearly ruined the movie for me. If I wasn't such a die-hard Star Wars nut, he would have ruined it completely for me.

Put down the pipe and slowly back away. His face better be perfect for the part, Ian McDiarmid played the Emperor in Return of the Jedi, and he is an accomplished actor. Senator Palpatine, aka Darth Sidious the Sith Master, is the very man who will become the Emperor, and this is the first installment of a HUGE trilogy known for its character development. You know what he becomes and what role he will play in the future movies, so how anyone can "give him a chance" is beyond me.

Mace Windu will have a much larger role in the coming movie. He will be killed in the third installment, I believe.

Darth Maul had to die so that Palpatine/Darth Sidious can groom the next Sith apprentice: Anakin/Darth Vader.

For what its worth to you, all of those Jedi Counsel members (including Ki-Adi Mundi) will have larger roles in the next two movies. Remember that the Jedi will become "all but extinct," hunted down by Vader and the Emperor. Thats what the next two movies are all about, up to and including the birth of Luke. Remember how Qui-Gon was talking to the Counsel about how he thought Anakin "is the one the prophecy spoke of"? Anakin isn't it. Luke is.

#9 Lynus302, Dec 1, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2001
  10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

There are more than six Star Trek movies (there are nine). I assume you weren't counting the NetGen ones (even though Kirk was in the 7th one).

11. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I figure they'll kill her off in the second one.

12. ScreamingRocketJet

I didn't think much of it at the cinema first time. I saw it again on DVD and loved it. I guess I was more prepared for it to be a "beginning" type film...and dvd is pretty cool for allowing you to 'drift off' to the world on screen (ie all lights out / doors closed / surround sound) as opposed to when I saw it at the movies and people were all talking etc.

Jar-Jar didn't bother me much this time...I wonder if they edited him out a bit for the DVD release?

13. Hydra

Hydra Member

But Anakin does bring balance to the force. When Anakin/Vader kills all of the Jedi except Obi-Wan and Yoda, there are two Sith, Palpatine(master) and Vader(apprentice) and two Jedi, Yoda(master) and Obi-Wan(apprentice).

14. gr8-1

When do you predict Mace Windu will die? Episode 3? You think Anakin will kill all of the Jedis? So interesting. I wonder if he will kill them in battle or will he stab them in the back?

15. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

It impressed me all over again. I have the VHS special edition. Need to get the DVD. I went and downloaded it from Morpheus.

Great Movie.

16. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the movie was a failure in several ways (warning - boring analysis from someone with too much time on his hands to follow):

First, Anakin was too damn young. What is the point of seeing Anakin at age 9 (or whatever he was)? What the first film should have established was twofold:

1) The early manifestations of Anakin's power/ability to use the force

Actually, the movie did this alright, although the pod race scene and the space scene seemed more oriented to sell video games and toys than to establish character. And can anyone really overlook that a 9 year old is piloting a space pod and a space ship? Not me.

2) Signs that Anakin will turn to the Dark side

The movie failed completely and utterly on this one. Anakin isn't shown as having a fatally impulsive or temperamental personality. Lucas could have shown resentment on the part of Anakin that his mother was left behind in slavery. Instead, he gave us a cliched, weepy "I'll miss you so bad Mommy" bit. Lucas could also have expanded Anakin's resentment that the Jedi council felt he was too old for training. Instead of Yoda eventually agreeing to allow Obi-Wan to train Anakin, you could have had Obi-Wan disobeying the Council and training Anakin. Anakin would essentially be an amateur Jedi with all the power but none of the prestige. Because of his genetic makeup, he'd be more powerful than those who treat him like a 2nd-class warrior. That would have set up a real motive for him to eventually destroy the Jedis. Of course, with a 9-year old Anakin, you can't really show any of the above (and Jake Lloyd was an absolutely horrible actor - worse than the Olsen Twins). Anakin should have been a teenager in Episode 1.

Second, Anakin and the Princess are supposed to become lovers??? Umm, unless Lucas is planning on making Episode 2 akin to How Stella Got her Groove Back, with a young Anakin making the older Princess feel like a "woman" again, I just don't find the older princess-younger Jedi romance angle believable. Maybe the Princess shouldn't have been introduced until Episode 2 (you could have easily substituted another leader in place of the Princess). Or Lucas should have reversed the ages (Anakin a teenager, Amidala a child).

Finally, Episode 1 gave too much away. Everyone all but knows that Palpatine is the Emperor (or will be). The reason that The Empire Strikes Back was the best film of the first trilogy was because of that surprise ending ("No Luke - I am your father"). Lucas could have made Palpatine's revelation of treachery a knockout. But Lucas pretty much blew his load with that ridiculously obvious close-up shot of Palpatine during Qui-Jon's funeral.

Sorry - I'm suffering from English Paper analysis flashback.

17. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I've got a question that I'm pretty sure no one could answer about that movie...

When the senator met the jedis at the spaceport on that city-planet, why couldn't they(the jedis)or the city council(of jedis) detect a "great disturbance in the force"?

Any takers to this question...would love to hear the explaination!:D

18. gr8-1

subtonic, I think Anakin is only 5 years younger than Amidala in the movie.

I liked seeing a young Anakin. And I don't think people at age nine show a propensity to the darkside. Circumstances and his environment will shape Anakin.

I can't wait for episode 2.

19. Hydra

Hydra Member

Hard to detect, the darkside is.

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Oh cmon!How could Puke detect Vader on a starship hundreds of miles away(return of jedi, before han,chewy,puke,etc., landed on endor) but they can't detect a superpowerful dark force a few feet away from them!!!:mad: I must know! There must be a good explaination!:D