1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[star wars] How Much Better Movies Look WITHOUT CGI and Green Screen!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Aug 15, 2010.

1. what

what Member

So I am watching the Empire Strikes Back and it occurs to me that the visuals in this movie are BEYOND fantastic. Then I wonder why don't the movies today look at least equally fantastic, and it occurs to me again, cgi and green screen make movies look like a pile of steaming ****

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i watched poltergeist yesterday and thought the same exact thing. if done right like i guess lord of the rings it looks so much better.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

LOTR wasn't all CGI. They had tons of costumes and sets.

I see what you're saying though. All-CGI like 300 is hit or miss.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Special effect artist Richard Edlund actually developed a significant advancement in blue screen technology while working on "Empire". He won an Academy Award for it. The original Star Wars was the 3rd film to ever use CGI.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

People's thinking about effects hasnt changed much from saying what can a studio put on screen PHYSICALLY from scratch? Besides the approach of what can a studio paint or draw onto the screen.

Its Movies = real life
    Cartoons = drawings

No hybrid morphing of the 2.

Though its impossible to keep the "real life" visual effects. Too much liability and cost to stuntment and physical equipment. In a sense, the special effects are now a given and it goes back to a movie needing a good story instead of being sold strictly off its special effects.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You would be surprised about how good compositing looks and what it allows movies to do. You can't even tell most of the time.

<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="385" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/clnozSXyF4k?hl=en_US" frameborder="0"></iframe>

#6 Brando2101, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  7. Chopped

Chopped Member

umm if you were watching it on tv most likely it wasn't the original one made in the 70s, they recently remastered most of the effects. so you were really looking at 2000's era special effects.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I thought I heard that they filmed those AT-AT scenes in the snow on a table with action figures.

9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Didn't they use a lot of green screening in all those movies?

10. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Giving animals human personality, emotions, and manerisms is what you can thank.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Stanley Kubrick's 1968 masterpiece, 2001: A Space Odyssey, won an Oscar for Best Effects, Special Visual Effects. This was before CGI and the use of a blue screen. The film is stunning.

12. Cannonball

I've seen specials on it before. I know the speederbike chase on Endor in "Jedi" was completely done in front of a blue screen.

13. Cannonball

Well, CGI was first used in 1973, but blue screen has been around since 1940.

14. what

what Member

No. Not in the least. And you can tell the difference in what's real and what's green screened. But I did know that some "know-it-all" would put George Lucas and special effects together and say didn't they use green screening, rhetorically.

What parts of Star Wars green screened, if you can tell me that then I'll give some respect.

15. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Some parts of Star Wars do look outdated (espeically the original), but I'll be damned if the battle of Endor is not the best space battle of all time.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You must either have bad eyes or choose not to watch things in HD. I love how old people say things were better back then, it makes me smile. I hope to all holy hell I don't become one of those people...

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

In the movie Star Wars, how did they make it look completely real when Luke flew his X-wing fighter down the trench of the Death Star with Twin Ion Engine fighters in close pursuit? The X-wing fighter, TIE fighters and the trench were all models...

In the movie Return of the Jedi, how did they make it look completely real when Leia and Luke were flying at 100 mph on their speeder bike through the forest?

In all of these cases, the illusion is created by a special effects technique known as traveling matte or blue screen.

link

18. droxford

droxford Member

The old Star Wars movies used a lot of modeling (not - not CGI modeling.. I mean they avcually built little, scaled models of the spaceships and stuff). This method makes the old movies look really fantastic. But this method became so extremely expensive and time consuming (compared to CGI) that it eventually became extinct.

19. conquistador#11

Too much CGI sucks, just look at Beowulf. Angelina didn't even look hittable.

It's like when you eat cheesecake. Once you have that second slice, it becomes too much, no matter how much you were craving it beforehand.

1 person likes this.
  20. Cannonball

In the original script, the name given to Luke's X Wing squadron was "Blue Squadron" but they changed it when they realized it wouldn't work with the blue screen. So they changed it to "Red Squadron" and changed the name of the Y-Wing squadron to "Gold Squadron" (originally "Red").