1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Trek Shows on Paramount Plus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 9, 2022.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You can tell Stewart has gotten a bit too old for these type of shows. I'm waiting until all the new seasons are in to watch this last season of Picard, so I hope they do him and the whole crew justic. The first 2 seasons were ok, but definitely had its weak/dull moments, and a lot of that is because Picard just looks and sounds like he left the retirement home to get involved in fighting aliens and saving the galaxy again. lol. Still love him, though. He's still probably my favorite Star Trek captain.

clos4life, DaDakota and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Picard season 3 if FRICKEN AWESOME !!!

DD

clos4life and GRENDEL like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

I have it on very reliable Trekkie authority that Picard S3 is very, very good...and that you don't have to slog through S1-2 to follow it.

So I'm going do exactly that...skip straight to it and start watching it soon.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Season 3 of Picard has been like the Season 3 forward of the TNG. Watching seasons 1 and 2 of Picard does help understand some of the background of Season 3. Those seasons were ok. I would watch them before Season 3.

Season 3 of Picard is actually tied to DS9. I wondering if they are laying ground work for some kind of revisit to DS9.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

On the spoiler side, I really hope so. This last episode seemed like the end of the opening act and we are about to get into the meat of the story.....

clos4life likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Picard is actually pretty damn good this season.

Mr.Scarface and clos4life like this.
  7. GRENDEL

They are really pulling out all the stops, been great so far.

The plot is starting to remind me of a very early STNG episode which was never paid off.....

Recap of the original episode starts at 1:20

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

S1 and S2 were definitely mixed bags though not as bad as people make them out to be. However, S3 is peak Star Trek so far, highly enjoyable. Recommend to anyone who is on the fence.

Invisible Fan and Surfguy like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm always scared to come into this thread since I'm not watching S3, yet, but I agree with you on the first part. Part of the problem with S1 and S2 were they were quietly building the story, and if you aren't willing to wait or had just come from watching Discovery, you'd be disappointed, probably. Discovery is/was action every second from the starter's pistol. Some episodes/stretches were just non-stop relentless action. Picard was none of that most of the time, and when poor Stewart got thrown into action scenes, he looked helpless sometimes.

clos4life likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think I watched a few episodes of Picard season 1, but it was trash so I quit and didn't even bother with season 2. I planned on skipping season 3 too, but I heard from far too many reliable sources that it was good....and thus far, they are right.

The way I see it, I just pretend that the first 2 seasons never happened.

11. Invisible Fan

It's been night and day so far.

I thought S1 was decent though very mediocre (odd numbered trek movie). S2 was a box office flop for me since it mostly ignored the big development of S1.

S3 doesn't try to introduce new things and is more in line with Trekkies expecting a continuation of the older series.

#51 Invisible Fan, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    clos4life likes this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They are going out with a BANG! This is very good.
    I would LOVE if Captain Sisko somehow shows up. Too much to hope for. They have revisit DS9 in a series with Changelings are back in force

GRENDEL and Invisible Fan like this.
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Picard S3 Chapter 5: Stranger Things.

14. Invisible Fan

Picard is still good.

So far no new introduced characters who happen to be some underrepresented class that are curiously geniuses or savants for no reason. The new character isn't boring or tedious AF and has an actual plot/purpose that isn't a targeted social message. Are Goldsman and Kurtsman slipping?!?

In fact, Geordi hasn't embraced his handicap and renounced his implants yet!?! What ableist BS is this! Geordi needs to stop the presses, put things on Red Alert as a platform to declare that Blindness is Beautiful!! Visor 4 lyfe!!

But seriously, this season feels like fan service to a(n even numbered) movie they could've planned years ago if Trek had a budget currently slotted for streaming. There are some mysteries with the new character that aren't contrived and even the contrived cliffhangers are enough of a callback for fans to ignore. Hopefully they make the entire season thoughtful enough to watch again, but it's usually hard to pull that off for streaming shows designed to make people binge 10 straight hours..

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You boldly went where no man has gone before.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is it this good?

[​IMG]

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think I expected the themes of Star Trek Picard season 3 to go the route they did.....the whole thing out of nowhere turned into a message about the communist takeover of Gen Z.

Some will like that, some won't....but even ignoring the themes as some will need to do, it's the best Trek we've had in forever.

18. GRENDEL

Just finished episode 9, its all kinds of fan service but its also really enjoyable....looking forward to the finale....

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

She's Back, Baby! Ready to kick some ASS!

The Enterprise "D", that is

20. GRENDEL

Complete with....

Majel Barrett's voice as the ship's computer....