1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Trek Shows on Paramount Plus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 9, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

As a non-Trekkie, the Star Trek universe peaked with Wrath of Khan, there's been some good stuff since but nothing close. I enjoyed TNG (not sure I actually saw it all, or in any sort of order) and the bits of Voyager I saw. I lasted about 2 episodes of DS9. Liked the reboot Star Trek movie but the other 2 were weak. Haven't been able to get into the streaming stuff at all, though I've only tried ~4 eps of Discovery & 1 ep of Picard.

One of my favorite Honest Trailers ever:

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Some of the best episodes of any Star Trek are scattered throughout Voyager, but Voyager's issue is that there are a lot of dud episodes intermixed, too. It's kind of like TNG-Lite in that respect. In my opinion, shows like Star Trek (all of them) probably should be watched sequentially just because you can get a feel for how horrible they may have been initially to how great (maybe) they became. lol. TNG's early episodes are borderline-horrific in that regard, for example.

But like all of these, if you just ain't into sci-fi much, you may not like any of them.

Entropy and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The last 4 seasons of DS9 is the best of any Trek ever. Strange New Worlds is tied to Season 2 of Discovery (The Enterprise is introduced). Discovery is was not trying to be TNG or TOS and that's where the fanboys got mad. Picard is focused on Picard. Different objectives for these shows. I thought the last 2 season of Discovery were good because of its focus on what happened in
    31st century and rebuilding of the Federation

clos4life likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I didn't read your spoiler since I haven't watched the most-recent seasons of Picard or Discovery, but ... I agree with everything else. When watching Star Trek, it's hard to compare modern Trek to "old school" Trek for me. Each does and focuses on something different. If you can't appreciate each for what they do, you're probably going to think it sucks. You also get an appreciation for what each crew has to go through in their travels.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Picard is flat out awesome !!!

And Q is my favorite nemisis.

DD

clos4life and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I loved DS9 and think it was one of the best sci-fi shows. I’ve not seen much of the new Star Treks and from what I’ve seen hasn’t been enough to win me over to get Paramount plus. As such I consider myself a former Trekkie.

I saw several episodes of Discovery and it just seems like a lot of unnecessary retconning that confuses the Trek universe. the new Klingons look terrible and they changed key about their culture. I saw a couple of episodes of the first season of Picard and while Patrick Stewart is still great the story just seems like a confused mess.

Im willing to give the new Star Trek shows a chance but not enough to subscribe to Paramount.

7. Buck Turgidson

Strange New Worlds was very good. Tried Picard again recently and just can't get into it.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

DS9 was a slow start. I couldn't get in to the show early on. I probably missed most of the first 2 seasons. The last few seasons were really good though.

Voyager - I started watching this show, but don't remember finishing it so I went back a few years ago and rewatched it. I skipped all the Neelix and Harry Kim-centric episodes and I actually really liked it. Especially after the addition of 7-of-9.

Enterprise - I didn't watch this show while it was on the air. I streamed it years later and I actually really enjoyed this show. Totally worth watching.

Discovery - The first season and a half was really hard to watch because of the way it dismisses cannon..but it gets a ton better. I sometimes refer to it as "Woke Trek".

Lower Decks - Love it. Watch it. Rick & Morty meet TNG.

Strange New Worlds - Great show. this is definitely a throwback to the original show both in content, writing and execution..but updated for todays society.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

I found S1 to be moderately bad. S2 was plain awful. The first episode of S3 is promising. Maybe the ST producers finally realised what works? and so far that's been Lower Decks.

Rocket River and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I enjoyed season 2, Q has always been cool and the ending had me a bit sniffly, it is like visiting old friends from my childhood.

I can't wait to start season 3.

DD

clos4life likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No AARP discount on this service seems really short-sighted.

clos4life and DaDakota like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Enjoy it while you can - this is the last season of Picard.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

One of the better/best Voyager episodes kind of revolved around Harry Kim. If you didn't watch it, go back and watch Timeless.

Rocket River and DFWRocket like this.
  14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Season 3 of Picard is really getting good.

DD

GRENDEL, clos4life and Surfguy like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Stewart is a tough old man. I hope they do it justice even if I can't stop smh at a pump action shotgun phaser rifle that runs out after six energy buckshots...

Comes from the Gillette school of engineering. Sell the shotgun phaser rifle at a loss. Make hella profit on the ammo clip markup.

clos4life likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Voyager had a few good episodes and I think I know the one you’re talking about. Overall though I found it shallow and not they good as either DS9 or TnG.

When both Voyager and DS9 were running concurrently I had a theory that Voyager was more meant for adolescents while DS9 was for adults. The plots of voyager seemed more simplistic and even the sexy outfits of Seven of Nine seemed like it was more meant for teenagers. DS9 was much heavier and required more patience and dedication to follow.

Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.
  17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Hey look!

It's the reason every Star Trek film in the last 25 years has been a revenge plot!

Thanks, people who don't like Star Trek!

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, Picard is a robot now right? I forget exactly what is going on there. lol

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

S1 and S2 of Picard were mixed bags, not all bad but not fully realized. S3 so far has been very interesting and superior to the previous seasons. Hoping it maintains this high level of storytelling

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Star Trek is probably the only thing I nerd out on. I’ve seen all the originals and keep up with all the new ones

For reference, I would rank the originals
    1) DS9
    2) TOS
    3) TNG
    4) Voyager
    5) Enterprise

for the Paramount ones, I would rank them

1) Lower Decks - this is so underrated, it’s Rick and Morty style humor through the lense of real Star Trek fans. Lots of deep cut jokes and cameos from old favorites. Im surprised this one doesn’t get more attention.

2) Discovery - First season was a bit rough and I think may have turned some people off. The “reinvented” Klingons was kind of lame. But I think it’s really found it’s footing since then and has an identity now, in the vein of TNG/DS9/Voyager. It’s the “Time Travel” Trek show.

3) Strange New Worlds - Good start, but needs more seasons to rank higher for me. Pike is a really charismatic captain, very likable character.

4) Picard - I’ve just found this one boring from the start. For the most part, I just don’t like anyone on the “Crew” other than Seven. Production standard seems a bit lower to me than the others. Haven’t started this season yet, but as of now, I’d probably rank it behind even Enterprise. But I’ve heard rumors of this setting up a new series following a crew captained by Seven, which I would be interested in.

Just my opinions on all these

GRENDEL likes this.