1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Trek : Discovery] : New Star Trek series coming from CBS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They really seem to try to make Killy and Adira (They) interesting but they are not.
    Killy being #1 is more annoying that Wesley Crusher - Which is suppse to be Adira's roll.
    Tossing out centuries of Trill lore was annoying too . .. NOW ANYONE CAN BE A TRILL!!! HURRAYY!!!! WTF?
    They love to Focus on Stamets and the Doctor - I think they get the most time that is Burnam
    At this point .. . . is their any hint that Burnam was raised on Vulcan? Cause she overly emotional and illogical most of the time

I like the Sulu and Chekov females but they get so little to do I forget their names.

Rocket River

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It’s interesting how watchable I find the show even though I don’t really like many of the characters.

Killy (thought it was Tilly), the captain alien dude, Georgio is just ok, the they character is annoying.

I like Burnham, her new love interest dude, the new head of the federation.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sorry I think Killy is the Alt Universe version
    I "don't hate" most of the characters.
    You don't care enough to like or dislike them.

So you focus on the overall story which is not bad

I do not like the most recent reveal about the Burn

Rocket River

JayZ750 likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How the **** does this show have so many more pages of discussion than the Expanse?

Shows how much of a fail Amazon is advertising the show.

London'sBurning and Deckard like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Because it's Star Trek, with 4+ generations of dork love and devotion behind it. The Expanse is based on a recent, unfinished book series.

Deckard and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Ngl, I did but like Staments or the Doctor for the first season. I guess I got used to them but it's incredibly ironic for them to use Staments as the "bridge" character for new additions... Hey let's watch that cranky ******* break in the noobs and "humanize" him when there are seven other cast members that don't get a seconds worth of plot time!

Adira is the new Wesley. It's a shocker to me that the 30th century still grapples with trans people and their naming. They're like unicorns in space! It's incredibly ironic the "they" terminology fits her more appropriately... as a trill... than star trek writers seizing the day and coining a more independent and less derivative crutch pronoun for a still evolving identity.

But it's trek so I guess it gets a pass
    Gonna miss space Hitler Georgio. Personality is in short supply. So short that I'll forgive her genocidal eugenic tendencies that dominated her life minus the last three years of "redemption"

Miss her enough to watch her spinoff? ...yes

P.S. I think it was a ds9 episode (ugly Dax) where they revealed anyone could join with a trill but the leaders didn't want it to be a Black Friday at Walmart free-for-all if word got out.

#226 Invisible Fan, Dec 26, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

is this after the mandalorian timeline? or thousands of years after?

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've never gotten into Discovery or Picard largely because I don't want to pay CBS just for one or two shows. I've seen a couple of episodes through other sources and was not impressed. I don't find the writing to be that good and the characters are OK but not enough to draw me in.

What really bothers me though is the design of the show. It looks like the lighting and effects are the worst of the JJ Abrams Star Trek with over dark sets and ships that make little functional sense. For how cheap the TOS Enterprise bridge was it actually made functional sense and the US military studied it's layout for use in actual warships.

Also the retconning of the Klingons is terrible and unnecessary. I understand they want to make the Klingons less human but the Discovery Klingons look like bad Doctor Who monsters with clunky outfits and unexpressive faces. Also very confusing and clunky looking ships.

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've enjoyed this season but like everyone said, it's probably above Enterprise and on the level with Voyager.

I'll be curious to see how they wrap up this current season.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm in the minority here but I consider Discovery the best Star Trek ever made.

BamBam likes this.
  11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Because the Expanse sucks. I think its legit terrible

Best no, But I think Discovery is very good. Picard not so much, but I'm all in for all the spin offs

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well this is the last week. . . .

When does Picard start?

Rocket River

13. Invisible Fan

If they're going to make things a life or death situation, they shouldn't wuss out and undo all the deaths 10 minutes later. Same **** happened with Picard. Bit surprising they took the weak route since this show's good at clearing out bridge crew.

GJ Book on doing in 15 mins what took several seasons for Staments to do.

Thought the cause was lame but could've been better if they were tighter with their message to the audience until the very end.

Still not sure what the 100 thousand year "Source" computer is supposed to be. It changes from all knowing omniscient archive that should be able to beat down space pirates to Wall-E's girlfriend every other week.

Watchable, not rewatchable...

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I agree with the finale, I enjoyed the season but the big reveal of the burn was a big letdown.....felt very meh.

That being said, I'll tune in next season....

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thoroughly Agree!!!

So Ossyra was the complete and total Emerald chain???? The Ruling Queen?
    Her death was so anticlimatic
    After running the Chain for a long time she caught a bad case of the Stupids??? Burnahm says TRUST ME and you do???
    Why not everyone does. . . ..
    and the Federation does not come off well because. . .they gave up on peace
    because of the need to punish one person???? Putting her on trial was REALLY the stopgap for peace???

The Cripple guy switches allegiences pretty easily
    You never felt the ending was in doubt
    Ossyra dies and EVERYONE wants to join the Federation ? should have killed her a long time ago!

The source Computer = Ex Dues Machina!

Seems like a big bucket of meh

Rocket River

GRENDEL and Invisible Fan like this.
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Holding Ossyra accountable for her crimes only further divides the universe!

#236 Carl Herrera, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  17. Invisible Fan

Yeah ossyra's death was dr evil status. Why didnt they beam even more regulators from the big ship once she rejoined her fleet and squash the merry little crew? Rather than a macho mano e manouhh womano e womano death match in an octagon riddled with death traps...

That data core brought up galaxy quest flashbacks. Tilly needs to be fired for not fixing that faulty 3rd degree burn causing vent in the data core...among all the other things

GJ for Saru taking a well deserved work life break. Dude was slipping in his decisions. Tilly? She even told you she didnt have officer training! This isnt a science ship anymore. I bet he's rolling up kelp joints and experimenting with molly along with his new bff.

Yeah Burnham, they need to whip up a fantastical power like having weak mind control powers from growing up with a magical vulcan crystal shoved up her butt to suppress emotions. Thats how that manbaby kelp guy got his omega level mutant powers, right? Cuz science?

Had a hunch fat stephen hawking would join when he humanely dissected staments. Ossyra built his genius up and he wasnt doing obv evil **** like the rest of the villains. No gray moral issues in this trek, maybe only for Burnham and who she saves this week.

No one gonna buy trill Wesley pulling stuff out of they butt in life or death situations.

More like Dueces Intra Machina..,,

18. TimDuncanDonaut

Show is more misses than hits. Still finished season 3 to see how the main arc ended.

The one character I like is Saru. I like his backstory. In season 3, he gets a decent story angle. The audience also got to the see the actor's face (in human form).

Burnham is good. The actress is very emotive in her acting. Normally that's a good thing, with the Vulcan backstory, still seem at odds. I don't really connect with the other actors.

---

Off to the side: there was one scene in the last episode, where I was like...
    "did She-hulk just choked a man in wheelchair to sleep." I know she's a villain, but dang, just feels wrong. :D

[​IMG]

Osyraa and Auerllio

#238 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Rocket River and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You can think that... but most people disagree.

the Expanse is better rated my critics and users across IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. The expanse rating puts it in the tier of shows like Breaking Bad or the more recent Chernobyl (a truly great mini series).

whereas Star Trek Discovery has a 43% user approval rating on RT which is horrible.

Rocket River likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

ngl, the first 10-ish episodes of Expanse is hard to watch. It's great after the rock explodes.

Rocket River likes this.