1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Trek : Discovery] : New Star Trek series coming from CBS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How are you guys liking this?

Just finished TNG and DS9, and now I’m missing Trek.

Should I go Picard first before this one? Skipping Voyager

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Why skip Voyager? It wasn't all that bad. Some episodes were pretty damn good. Now Enterprise may be one you could skip... but even that one didn't seem as horrible as everyone made it out to be to me. It was the worst of them all, but... I haven't watched the 2 new ones because I haven't convinced myself to pay for CBS All Access yet. lol.

Drexlerfan22, Bandwagoner and ryan_98 like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Voyager is mediocre compared to ds9 or trek. Too many bland characters. Most of the good episodes were Seven, Janeway and the Doctor. It’s not bad if you watch it In the background like channel surfing reruns...

I’d hold on Picard until there are more seasons. Discovery okay, but definitely doesn’t feel like ng/ds9 trek. Heck, Orville more like Rick Berman Star Treks if you get past the clunky Family Guy humor that pops up about a quarter of the show. It’s McFarlanes take on bringing that era’s episodic Trek to a newer audience...can’t complain much.

It’s a damn shame Babylon 5 can’t be remastered to HD. It shows it’s age like Black and White Twilight Zone but seasons 2 to 4 were pretty damn good and the characters you might write off as cheesy in the clunky and cheap first season really take a turn into something memorable.

I couldn’t finish enterprise and the last episode didn’t cap much. I would look for the mirror universe episodes and the 3 episode arc that had Soon’s ancestor as a biologist. This was a while back but prob the only ones worth watching that ties into trek.

#203 Invisible Fan, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    ryan_98 and Rocket River like this.
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Discovery is better than Picard. The best part of Picard is 7 of 9 who won't mean anything if you didn't watch Voyager.

Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, I am absolutely in love with TOS, TNG and DS9, but I’ve been reading about a major drop off after those. Too many good shows out there these days to drop 100+ hours on something. I’ll look into Voyager though after hearing you dig it!

6. TimDuncanDonaut

In the trek universe, DS9 and TNG are the two most popular. Some even rank DS9 as their top. I got into Star Trek out of order. Voyager was my personal first, and has remained my favorite. (am in the minority).

You don't need Voyager to enjoy Picard or Discovery. If you have had TNG, it's more than enough.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I just watched enterprise for the first time all the way through. Maybe the worst finale I’ve ever seen on tv

Rocket River and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

I had a hard time getting through Enterprise when it was on TV. Wasn't till years later on streaming I went back and finished it.

TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise slight overlap / followed each other; no gap years. After Enterprise, it was a quite a long time until Discovery. (12 years), with some Abram movies in between.

Weirdly hope it's not like the Rockets; no gap in playoff appearances in the Harden era, then have to wait for a long time to return to contention.

#208 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, "dig" depends. There are a handful of episodes throughout the series that were really good episodes, but there were duds throughout. I just watched it because I wanted to watch the series and get an idea of which ST series I liked the most. For example, the only reason I watched TOS originally was for the nostalgia. There's no way most of those episodes are better than Voyager for me. For me, of the ST series I've watched, it's DS9 > TNG >> Voyager >>>> Enterprise > TOS. DS9 and TNG are about on the same level for me. There are episodes of Voyager that I love as much as almost anything on DS9 or TNG, but overall, it's not as good a series. TNG and Voyager are about picking and choosing favorite epsiodes.

Someone mentioned Babylon 5, and I never watched that when it was on because I was hardcore Star Trek (lol). But I binge-watched it a couple of years ago, I think. It's as good or better than DS9 to me. They're very close. The first 1-2 seasons of B5 is corny as hell, but then it takes off. If you're into special effects or modern visuals, then you won't like it, but if you're about the storyline you may love it. Unlike TNG or Voyager, you probably don't want to skip around watching B5. I'd even sit through the boring 1st season just to get a feel for how the characters grow and change -- it was part of the fun for me. You'll see some ST actors in there, too. :D Tragically, many of the B5 cast have died early (in real life, that is).

Invisible Fan and Deckard like this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

If you pay for Apple TV+ ($4.99), you can get bundle where u get Ad-free CBS All-Access and Showtime for $9.99. U keep that price as long as u keep Apple TV+.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I take the same approach. It is very easy because it is apparent pretty soon which character the focus of the episode is.

Tuvok = watch

Neelix = skip

Tuvix = put on repeat

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's very sad someone is here saying they just watched DS9 and TNg and about to see what STD and Picard are all about. Hopes about to be crushed for real.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Discovery is a fun show.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

been avoiding this cus it looks boring. but cabin fever is getting to me. is this show worth watching?

if it's just another talking-talking-talking, i might as well rewatch suits again

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Did not know this. . . .

As for Discovery, I just hope they not making the TRILL the new Wesley Crusher

Rocket River

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Discovery this season is finally hitting its stride, I guess all those different showrunners messed up its flow but it finally feels like a traditional trek show.

Can't touch TOS, TNG, or DS9...but it is respectable, way better than ENT at least and better than VOY I think...

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

With this season about to end . . .. is there any reason not to cancel the subscription?
    at least til next season.
    The Twilight Zone was not a strong show
    Picard Season Two maybe? When does that start?

Is anything else on the channel worth watching?

Rocket River

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I agree.

It's around Voyager level because there 3-4 characters that are fleshed out enough while the rest of the crew either don't stand out or are likable. I think CBS's weak content will continue the trend where this show and Picard invest more time to characters who are spinoff candidates than spend a sub plot or two to make the crew members less one dimensional. That cyborg girl has the best opportunity to get an upgrade, but nah. It's pretty much the Michael Burnam saves the world circus.

I still miss the morality play themes where they take a social issue and turn it into discussion where both sides are relatable to understand. It's ironic in today's social divisions, those issues are considered "solved" to the point where they're tangential and tossed to the side.

That is more stagnation than evolution, but I could see audiences wanting more action than preachiness, even when Discovery has been more guilty of the latter...

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Discovery is very watchable. It’s not the best th ever or anything.

sidebar: if you want amazing sci-fi... The Expanse is the way to go. I’ve heard the occasional person either not like it or not give it long enough as it’s perhaps a bit slow season 1... but it’s up there as one of my favorite shows ever. If someone said “The Expanse is the best show ever!” ... to me they’d at least have a leg to stand on. /sidebar

Discovery isn’t that. But it’s enjoyable and watchable.

as was Picard.

another sidebar: if you’re all caught up on Discovery... the whole thing with the “they” character. Kind of annoying .... just is.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Sign up for appletv+, $4.99. Then sign up for the CBS AA (No Ads)/Showtime Bundle....$9.99 for both...as long as you keep AppleTV+ (The bundle is offer thru AppleTV+).

Rocket River likes this.