1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star Ledger] Rockets related - Van Gundy in hot seat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tariq, Dec 20, 2004.

1. tariq

tariq Member

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/dalessandro/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/110343681748070.xml

ABORT LIFTOFF

Nobody is suggesting that Jeff Van Gundy is in trouble, but it sounds as though his boss is getting cranky. Leslie Alexander, the Rockets' owner, doesn't offer his opinion too often, but the record (11-12) and the fans' discontent (they had a crowd of 9,960 Wednesday night) are beginning to weigh on everybody.

"Oh, it's horrible," Alexander said. "Nobody wants to see a team play badly. And the fans of Houston have always been nice people. When they boo, it's a natural reaction to what they see on the court. I feel horribly about it."

Alexander followed that up with some praise for his coach (well, sort of: "I hired him. I thought he was a great coach," past tense), and now it's up to Van Gundy to figure out a workable rotation. You may regard that as an unusual objective 23 games into the season, but the coach is still juggling four players at the point, and four others at power forward. He's clearly sick of Mo Taylor (7.4 ppg, 38.5 percent shooting), and he's not getting much more from Juwan Howard, who until his 10-board game against Golden State Friday had averaged 3.9 rebounds in his first six starts.

Worst of all, the coach sees no solution in sight.

"Having too many guys of similar ability is just as problematic as having not enough guys of ability on a team," Van Gundy said. "When you give four people a job to do, you usually get less than if you give it to one guy."

For the record, the Rockettes are 27th in rebounding, 29th in offensive rebounding. For all the star power they have at center and two-guard, there is a glaring shortage in toughness and hunger, other than those moments when Tracy McGrady decides to ignore the offense entirely and win games by himself.

If there's a team that needs a change, it's this one.

2. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

That's the real story about the Rocket losing season, because there is somebody in their roster often ignore the game plan, just want to be the hero as his own, take tons of crazy shots and lazy on the defence end.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

It looks like a lot of quotes were lifted from the Chronicles article a few days ago and taken out of context. If I'm not mistaken Les praised JVG more than that.

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

The Rockets traded Steve in the off season.

Yes, I know what his post is about.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its time for Carrol Dawson to step down also. He's an all time Rocket, but if Rudy and Dream can go, so can CD.

What happens if we get Phil Jackson or Mike Zyszzerchky or Red Arbuach?

Nothing, we'd probably win a few more games. Obviously we need better personel besides Yao and Tmac. We need a new GM. We need to draft better. Sorry Boki isn't Peja or Dirk. We need a GM who WOULD PULL the trigger for TMAC and NOT pull the trigger if included crap like Juwan/Lue.

I think Steve got along better with JVG than Tmac does. At least Steve tries to run the offense. I dont think Tmac cares what JVG.

Yao's hapiness is VERY important to us as Rockets fans. You can hate all you want on him. But if he bolts to the Lakers or another team because he hates it here, then we will be screwed.

6. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

Steve never lazy on the defence end, he always rush back to break off the opposite team's fast break, unlike somebody on the current roster just stand there and watch when he missed the crazy shot.

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

CD would be the perfect GM for Red Auerbach. "Here's what I want, you make it happen." In this organization, the head coach has the veto power of "traditional" GM's, but not the headaches of making it work.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

We almost beat the Lakers last year. I say we were lacking a good SF with ball handling skills and athleticism. We also needed a good backup for Yao.

Now we need.. alot

9. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

That's what I am talking about, Tmac shows no respect to JVG at all, often ignore his game plan and try to win the game by himself, rocket win or lose simple rely on his shooting touch, if the hand is hot they win like the spurs game, if it's not they lost.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dissagree. early in the season tmac wasn't shooting at all. why would the scoring champion not try to score? because he said the coach was preaching team play. then he busts off for 48 against the mavs and JVG tells him shoot whenever you want from now on. so he is. after the spurs game he said it helps when we run more.....well we have been running more since then. it looks like tmac and JVG have a real good relationship since they are listening to eachother and taking eachothers advice.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I think Rudy would have let Steve hang out with Jay Z at the Super bowl.
    ;)

I actually think Rudy is doing well with the Lakers, I think he's won the respect of everyone and they buy into his system.

I mean how does Kobe not agree with the ISO KOBE play??

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Just what I was thinking. INtrigue is easy when you quote out of context.

13. Charvo

Charvo Member

Players go to war for Rudy T. I seriously think that if Yao and Mo saw JVG getting mugged, they wouldn't rush to help.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They might rush in to help the mugger.

:)

DD

15. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

You guys have all been so busy b****ing about JVG that you fail to see who the real idiot behind our crap personnel moves is: Carroll Dawson.

This guy needs to go.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Rocket G,

CD and JVG are certainly both copable.

DD

17. wiws316

wiws316 Member

Bring on phil jackson!!!! :p ..........no but seriously this guy has got to go if this team wants to get better, IMO:) .........CD Too:)

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, but why would they want to be objective? They're reporters. :)

19. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

They won't, becasue JVG did not pretect his players instead public criticised Yao and Mo several times.

20. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Pure gold!!! Great post!:D