1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stand Pat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by parksn306, May 5, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The problem is the roster isn't setup right now to stand pat IF they really want to go after Dwight Howard or another free agent.

The issue is the severe depth they will lose when they decline the team options in Delfino, Garcia, and Brooks in order to gain the cap space they need to be players in that type of acquisition.

So knowing that, there is no way the Rockets are going to "Stand pat." There is going to be movement one way or another. We know for a fact Morey is going after Dwight, and wont let the Team Option contracts stand in the way of making that deal.

So lets look at the roster going into the Summer-

Players "almost" guaranteed to be with the team in 2013/14-

PG: Lin, Beverley
    SG: Harden, Anderson
    SF: Parsons
    PF: Jones, Motiejunas, Robinson
    C: Asik, Smith

Players potentially incoming -

-2013 Rookie Draft Pick
    -C: Furkan Aldemir
    -Summer 2013 Free agent acquisition

Players out most likely-

PG: Brooks(team option- draft night tradeable)
    SG: Delfino(team option- draft night tradeable)
    SF: Garcia(team option-non tradeable, but can be retained if contract restructured)
    PF: White (it looks like he will be cut at the end of training camp based on reports)
    C: Ohlbrecht(could be retained, but depth at the C spot most likely makes him a goner)

-So any way you look at it, the Rockets are surely going to have some roster movement. Assuming there things-

-White gets cut
    -Aldemir gets brought over
    -team option guys get declined
    -free agent acquisition made
    -2013 rookie isn't a Eurostash

The Rockets are at 13 roster spots with 2 free spots. The Rockets are probably going to need to scout the D-League and Europe for help at the 1, 2, & 3 positions because they will most likely need a ton of help there.

-The one move I would like to see the Rockets make to help them stand pat would be to find out a way to bring Garcia back with a re-structured contract. However its going to be very difficult to do so and still retain enough cap space to go after Dwight or another free agent.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

16th pick? We don't have a first round pick. We sent off our lottery protected pick in the trade for Terrence Williams. This is the first year we did not fall in the lottery so we will not have a first round pick. We will have a very early second round pick.

The only way the Rockets are going to be in the first round is if they make a trade - which would would not be standing pat, would it? :grin:

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well we have to give parsons money next summer. So if we have lets say 17-20mill in cap and we stand pat...next summer say parsons takes at least 9 mill from us, we're left with the exact same 8th seed team and only 8-11 mill in cap then. How about we sign J.Smith (cp3 and or Dwight if we can), some solid vets (notably improve the team) and use bird rights on parsons next year and have 5 mill MLE to spend as well? Option # duce for me.

4. dobro1229

Parsons contract runs until the Summer of 2015 not 2014.

5. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Yeah, there is no 1st round pick this year, something I'm glad because it removes that debt from over our head and we already have enough young players not likely to get significant minutes.

I'm actually all for standing pat as it were, although I think a run should be made at CP3. The only problem, I see us being able to improve outside of landing CP3 is the PF spot and outside of Al Jefferson (one of the best post bigs in the NBA) or David West (one of the better scoring and stretch PFs) our best bet is training up the 3 rookies we do have to fix that.

Frankly the popular idea of overpaying to get the likes of Millsap or some other B- or C+ 'star' is just foolish and I am not convinced Josh Smith or Dwight Howard are mentally capable of living up to the MAX money offers they would demand. So, standing pat if the right deal isn't there is the smart thing to do, although I do hope Morey gets another 2nd round diamond as this seems like a good draft class.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

2015 unrestricted, 2014 restricted right? I think both him and the rockets would prefer 2014 since we get to have him restricted, and he gets paid a year earlier.

7. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

It's Pat?
    [​IMG]

8. howo13579

howo13579 Member

The names you listed are all the PFs we got. We need to at least keep a couple for back up role if we do sign a legit big man. I'd keep Tjones for sure.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't josh smith is getting max, I remember reading in a article that even he didn't expect to get the max, he's said he saying he's just trying to set the bar and that's he was willing to negotiate below that. Like when you at a pawn shop, yeah you'l take 65 bucks but your gonna say your looking for 80.

10. dobro1229

No. He's signed fully guaranteed until the Summer of 2015. Meaning he will be an unrestricted free agent at that time with the Rockets holding his bird rights.