1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stand Pat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by parksn306, May 5, 2013.

1. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

There's a lot of talk about off season moves, especially concerning Dwight, would doing nothing be such a terrible idea? I know we have tons of cap space, but do we really need to use it?

First off, I think everyone's earned at least 1 more season, considering how well everything turned out, including the coaching staff, and I am a big chemistry guy.

Is more time and experience together what we need the most? I know a good defense takes years to build, same could be said for a sophisticated offense. Can a proper training camp and pre-season be more helpful than a big free agent?

There really isn't anyone out there that I am too impressed with, including Dwight. I'm more than OK with Asik as our guy going forward. We got holes at the 4 and back-up 5, but we got a lot of young guys too. I'd rather give Smith, T-Rob, Jones, D-Mo, Ohlbrecht etc. one more year, than give a guy like Josh Smith max/near-max money. I'm OK with the PG situation, and the other positions too.

Maybe we could add some vets on the cheap? Garcia and Delfino turned out well for us. Especially maybe a vet big to mentor the young guys and a defensive stopper to shore our perimeter D. I don't really know who's out there, but I'd rather save our cap space for next year and give our squad more time.

But knowing Morey, I doubt it'll be a quiet summer.

2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Morey won't stand pat, so its not even a discussion.

1 person likes this.
  3. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

If Morey could stand Pat, we would have a PF right now.

4. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Standing pat would be the worst possible option, in a league where the best teams are constantly making adjustments

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Absolutely not. As much fun as they were to watch, the talent gap between the Rockets and the top teams in the West is simply too great. The 16th pick of the draft or whatever we end up with is not going to get us anywhere. It's time for Morey to move his chess pieces and improve our asset base.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

what about pat standing?

[​IMG]

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We need to get rid of a few players honestly.

Donuts,Tjones,Smith,Robinson,White. I don't think Smith is a backup 5 option for what we want to do next year. So that means 3 or 4 of these guys have to go next year.

White is a cancer and should go. But then it becomes tough.

I would almost think that Tjones could be a backup 5. Seemed to have a huge impact in the paint (blocking and rebounding) this year as a rookie. I would rather have a veteran C. I think we will compete for the WCF next year.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The ultimate goal is to win a championship. This team BARELY made the playoffs. It gave us some thrills but almost got swept (and if Westbrook hadn't gotten hurt, they might have been). Does standing pat push us closer to our goal? Absolutely not. We're better, but we're in no way shape or form close to where need to be if we want to be a true contender. Simply making the playoffs isn't good enough. For teams that are already at the top of the league and are already strong contenders, standing pat may be an option. But for a team that barely made the playoffs for the first time in 4 years? Get real.

1 person likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

at first i thought this was another carl thread

10. parksn306

I think you may be underrating the effect time and familiarity can have on a team. A lot of teams have improved simply by letting their players grow together. Ordinarily I would agree with you 100%, but given this team's youth, inexperience and lack of stability this season, I am not so sure on that one. That having been said, you could have made your point without being sarcastic.

So what is your plan for the off-season then? Trade Asik for Howard? Sign Josh Smith? Go after Chris Paul?

11. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

There's no one in next year's FA worth standing pat for, especially if you consider the fact the best FA's usually get resigned. This season we're fortunate to have at least two relatively big names who are looking for a new team--Josh Smith and Millsap.

Keep in mind that picking a up a FA here won't stop us from making a trade in the future for an upgrade such as Kevin Love Aldridge (Love is especially disgruntled and already hinted towards walking in 2015), if anything it us another asset to include in trade talks.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

You don't want to fall into the Otis Smith/Danny Ferry trap of overpaying for bad free agents to surround your star with.

Morey is not that dumb and will be patient.

13. parksn306

That's what I am hoping. I don't see Howard or Paul leaving LA. I really don't get why everyone is so big on Josh Smith. Didn't watch too much of that series but it looks like outside of 1 big game, he had a pretty bad series. Plus he's going to ask for a lot. I don't mind Milsap, but I'd rather try to develop the young guys. He won't win us the title, and by the time the rest of the team is peaking, he will be over the hill.

I really think this team can be special as is. They just need more time and a more sophisticated offense. Their team D will improve over time. Of our core players, Harden, Lin, Parsons, Asik, I don't think any of them are close to their peak. Plus they all adjusted to starter minutes for the first time in their careers.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

We should stand TRob.

15. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I think this team is totally fine in every position if Garcia is resigned and Delfino is healthy.

1. Lin - Bev
    2. Harden - Garcia
    3. Parsons - Delfino
    4. Jones - DRob
    5. Asik - DMo

Third string - Brooks, Anderson, White? Greg Smith

You jump on a good trade but standing pat isn't a bad situation at all IMO.

16. damunkster

damunkster Member

we wont stand pat, but i hope we save our max money for KEVIN MF'N LOVE, or i would also take uncle drew's friend, WES!

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Al Jefferson is the best compliment to Asik money can buy out of the current free agent class.

18. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Love would be nice but unfortunately now that Kahn is gone, Love would probably stay.

19. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I hope so. If Dwight Howard or Chris Paul are willing to come here, you sign them. But Josh Smith ain't worth max money. I hope Morey doesn't feel pressure to make a big splash in free agency just for the sake of doing something. Better to stand pat, wait for 2014 which has plenty of quality free agents, and see how this young team grows.