1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stan Lee or Shigeru Miyamoto: Who Influenced You More?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by yobod, May 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. yobod

yobod Member

It occurred to me the other day how much these two men affected my childhood and even my life today. Just wanted to pay them a little tribute. Here are their biographies and what they contributed in their lifetime.

Stan Lee
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee

-Spider-Man
    -Fantastic Four
    -X-Men
    -Iron-Man
    -Hulk
    -Daredevil
    -Thor

Shigeru Miyamoto
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shigeru_Miyamoto

-Mario
    -Zelda
    -Star Fox
    -Donkey Kong
    -Metroid
    -Killer Instinct
    -Nintendogs
    -Wii Sports
    -F-Zero

Consoles that would never have been around if not for him

-Nintendo
    -Super Nintendo
    -Nintendo 64
    -Gamecube
    -Wii-
    -Gameboy
    -DS

2. Prettyfly

Prettyfly Member

the guy who made this lady
    [​IMG]

3. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

She wears jorts. You can't be taken seriously as a super hero if you wear jorts.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Definitely Miyamoto because I am under 40 years old, anyone born around the comic book era would obviously be Stan Lee

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Stan Lee, and I'm 34.

Not sure what you mean by 'comic book era'...they're still going strong.

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Stan Lee was great and all, but Jack Kirby had just as much, if not greater, part in creating most of those characters. Stan Lee deserves half the credit, but he's alive now so tends to get all the credit when it was a joint effort.

7. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Hats off to yobod for such a great idea for a thread!

As much as I love Stan and the Marvel characters, I have to give the nod to Miyamoto, just because I've never read Marvel books while they were under his direct influence.

That's an excellent point. Also, don't forget Steve Ditko who co-created Spider-Man and plotted many of that character's early stories.

On a similar note, would Miyamoto's games have achieved anywhere near as much success without the music of Koji Kondo?

8. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Guess I meant before video games

9. yobod

yobod Member

Kirby is still alive...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kirby

10. yobod

yobod Member

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I believe that would be Jim Lee, not Stan Lee. No relation.

Marvel's characters each have a flaw (unlike that other comic company) which gave kids with flaws everywhere hope. Nerds read comics (jk). Do nerds relate to Spidey or Superman? Easy call. Marvel wins. Really expanded my mind, etc... Video games I kind of just played/play.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I like Stan Lee's characters, but Shigeru isn't only about the characters. It's also about the experience that drops you in another world to look around and allows you to lose youself.

Shiggy didn't make Metroid or Killer Instinct. He might've been a producer in some of them, but that takes away credit from those who were more involved and made a difference. Almost every marquee Nintendo game now has his stamp on it even if he doesn't have any major roles. But the ones where he is deeply involved, like Mario, you know the difference right away.

Without Miyamoto, video games as we know it wouldn't be the same. Super Mario Bros. side scrolling influenced John Carmack, whose company defined 3D FPS as we know it. Mario 64 and Zelda ToOT set gameplay paradigms that all 3D platformers adopt in one way or another. Mario Bros defined platform gaming. Every time he introduces a new character, it holds the promise of something different or unusual. He sets the path for others to follow, and it's done in a way where it's inclusive to everyone, easy enough for beginners to pick up and deep enough for experts to break in.

There is no rival in accomplishments in the video game industry. Will Wright might be the closest if he can get spore out this century.

13. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Probably both, but I'm a gamer so maybe Miyamoto just a little more.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Miyammoto by a mile.

DD

15. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

If its Miyamoto, then it's a completely different kind of influence, don't you think?

We could broadly call them both storytellers, but if you had to compare the plots of Mario and X-Men, Stan Lee would win in a landslide. Miyamoto is a more visual experience. Do we learn anything about the world saving a princess from a big lizard? Unless you're a recent Italian immigrant or an elf, I have to go with comic books for having greater literary and so meaningful value.

It might be more fair to compare Stan Lee to the Final Fantasy guy. I did both back in the day and I can only think of hand eye coordination as a benefit for the hours playing video games. Comics at least gave you a broader prospective, kind of like real books, which is everything to a 10 year old.

16. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I'm 25 and I can say with fair confidence that Stan Lee was my bigger influence. That, and the fact that my family didn't even own the original NES (or any other gaming platform) until I was in HS (mid 90's) - so there was no real opportunity for me to get major influences from Miyamoto.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

As much as I'm a Nintendo loyalist, it's Stan Lee by several miles. Marvel owned in the 70s and 80s. I enjoyed some DC stuff (JLI, Detective Comics), but as mentioned, Marvel's stuff was written in a better "real world" viewpoint. Not knocking Dark Horse or the other stuff, I just didn't read enough of it to comment.

Marvel, as far as comics, seemed to lose itself pretty badly in the mid-90s. There's actually some documentary out there that followed how the "comic bubble burst" - they had gone overboard with launching new titles with 4 or more alternate #1 Issue covers and all of a sudden the bottom dropped out and they were bankrupt. Enter desperate measures to keep the doors open (Ultimate Universe, etc), and 9/11 nearly dealt a second death blow. Marvel only survived because the film side exploded like a Nova.

But that's part of Marvel's influence. They're now like Star Wars and Star Trek in their influence on modern Sci Fi. Heroes on NBC being a major example.

I'm not sure how Nintendo's influenced anything, even the gaming industry itself.

Evan

18. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Well, to be fair, there was this gem right here:

[​IMG]

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

probably stan lee. i read a lot of comics growing up and marvel heroes were always my favorite (though batman is probably my favorite overall hero)

i never had a nintendo growing up the first system i had was a genesis. i always played nintendo at my best friends house across the street. so games like mario and zelda and all while i have played them i probably didnt get raised by them like some of the people here.

come to think of it i never owned a single nintendo system at all so yeah def stan lee for me

20. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Leguizamo at his finest.