1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stackhouse turned down Rockets camp invite

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by john_l, Nov 17, 2009.

1. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Apparently Jerry Stackhouse turned down an non-guaranteed vet minimum deal from the Rox this offseason?

Wouldn't it be great if we had a roster spot open and could... Wait, we do have a roster spot open.

From espn insider link

"With 14 years of service and 15,749 career points already in the books, Jerry Stackhouse is seeking the one thing that has eluded him since he left North Carolina way back in 1995 -- an NBA championship.

So he's sitting in Atlanta, waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

And wondering whether it'll be the Lakers, Celtics, Cavs, Nuggets or Spurs -- maybe even someone else, a team that leaps from the pack, perhaps Atlanta -- who will be the first to reach out to him.

He is already collecting a $2 million salary from the Memphis Grizzlies, who acquired him and waived him over the summer as part of the four-team sign-and-trade deal that sent Shawn Marion to Dallas and Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto, and he has one caveat for any team interested in his services: He seeks only the veteran's minimum, but he wants a guaranteed contract.

That lack of a guarantee was what led Stackhouse to turn down a camp invite from the Rockets, a decision he now looks back on with mixed emotions after watching the effort with which Houston has competed through the early stages of this NBA season.

"At the time, it didn't make sense for me. The situation with Yao [Ming], not knowing when Tracy [McGrady] is coming back. My goal is to try to get with a team that's capable of winning a championship, not just to get back and play," Stackhouse told ESPN.com. "Looking back and seeing how hard those guys are playing, I could have been a help to them. They play hard, I'm really impressed."

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Too bad for him. They don't need him anymore with the way Budinger is playing and McGrady close to returning.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The way our team is currently gelling, I am not interested. Give Bud those minutes and play the McGrady game for now.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Where would the minutes come from for him?

Also, has anyone photoshopped a pic of Stack with the "so easy a caveman can do it." slogan?

5. SunsRocketsfan

well if he wants to win a championship this year we sure are not going to help him get that..
    but what this team is .. is fun to watch

plus what we have now Stack really wouldnt fit and would just take mins from Chase who we need to get more experience and minutes..

now if we had a healthy tmac and yao that would be a whole different story..

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think I prefer McCants.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

these players are learning that Morey runs a tight ship and we don't just give away money to players.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good to hear that Stackhouse appreciates how the Rockets play. However, I don't know if the team still has interest in him. Before the season, it was not by any means certain whether the Rockets have any wings capable of playing behind Battier and Ariza, now the job seems to have been filled quite nicely by Budinger. Stack would essentially have to serve as this season's Brent Barry: 4th wing/mentor to young players. If the Rockets are penny pinching now to get flexibility with the luxury tax situation (see Pops situation), I am not sure they'll risk Jerry's veteran minimum contract causing them to go over the tax threshhold.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

HA HA HA. You snooze you lose. We don't want this Dallas reject anyways. I clearly remember a game a year or two ago against Dallas where it was clearly over in the final few seconds in the game, Stackhouse takes the ball and disrespectfully jolts down court and slams it home. Usually, people just hold the ball and let the clock run out but Stackhouse decided to be an ass.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

at this point would not want at all.

stack would eat into Chase minutes and we wouldnt see a Lowry/Brooks backcourt as often

(this assumes that McGrady is back in the lineup)

plus this isnt the stackhouse of the early 2000s we are talking about here...he was a playmaker then not so much anymore

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

lol, I forgot about this guy. whatever happened to the supposed transaction to land him?

12. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

What's that saying... Sometimes the best moves are the ones not made.

His ship sailed with us. That was before Budinger blew up and became a rotation player.

13. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

actually wouldnt mind having stackhouse as a rocket. we only have 2 wings, and budinger is our only real SG. stackhouse is more polished offensively than battier and ariza, so i'd like to see a lineup of Budinger at the 2 and Stack at the 3. not sure how well stackhouse can play D at his age though.

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

"If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world.”

- Mercedes Lackey

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

Too late to be the bus. Stack, we don't need you.

16. redao

redao Member

No old guys can survive in Adelman's system.

17. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Stackhouse is one of those players who takes sentimnt in getting a ring. Now every player im sure wants one ( maybe some jus t want money). But some players earn them and others are lucky enough to sit on 12th seat on the bench therefore getting ring. In this case Stackhouse would be that 12 or 11th or whatver number siting on the bench so he can get a ring. To me thats not right, now if you're some one like Kobe who earns it then its OK. Then there was also PJ Brown who came out of retirement on the part of beckoning from Garnett, who ultimatley started out as a roster filler but was significant for that team.

18. Asian Sensation

No old guys can survive the Rockets period. With the exception of Deke and Jon Barry. Stack would've had a not-so-glorious curtain call similar to that of Charlie Ward, Piatkowski, Derek Anderson, Adrian Griffin, Markc Jackson, Rod Strickland, David Wesley, Mike James. Damn I just rattled off a super long scrubalicious list.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Are you saying Stack is pulling a Ron Artest and showed up on the third bus in his underwear?

20. Asian Sensation

Ooh I forgot Brent Barry too... and I know there are others I'm missing.