1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs vs. Nuggets tonight--What happened?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lalala902102001, Feb 4, 2009.

1. lalala902102001

I noticed that Duncan, Parker, and Finley all got DNP-CD while Ginobili's out.

This is the Spurs' starting lineup:

Bowen F 22:35 2-5 2-3 0-0 0 1 0 1 1 3 0 0 0 1 6
    K.Thomas F 26:52 4-8 0-1 2-2 -3 2 5 7 3 2 3 0 0 0 10
    M.Bonner C 30:39 4-10 2-4 1-2 0 2 6 8 4 3 1 1 0 1 11
    R.Mason G 35:00 8-21 5-10 5-5 -8 0 5 5 6 4 1 8 0 3 26
    G.Hill G 36:18 4-14 0-4 1-1 -12 0 0 0 3 2 0 3 1 4 9

Anyone saw this game and knew what happened? Was this one of those games that Pop just decided to throw?

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

What I want to know is why Kenyon Martin didn't play? I just traded for him yesterday on my fantasy team. :mad:

4. rawool

rawool Member

Kenyon missed the game with tonsillitis and strep throat.

5. uchlha

uchlha Member

Pop gave the night off to Duncan, Parker, and ginobli

6. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

damn pop just giving the night off against a team tied with you and a 32-15 record I hope it doesn't bite them late if they're tied and seeding is on the line. Actually its SA I hope it does bite them.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Popovich was slapping Denver in the face. Their next game is against Boston on SUNDAY--that's a whole five days away, and he decided to give another night off to his big 3 for good measure to prepare. Meanwhile Denver comes away with an unfulfilling 8pt win against the scrubs as well as a "NOT OUR RIVALS" memo from the Spurs on their way out.

8. Dei

Dei Member

Seriously? All the problems are inside the mouth.

9. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

So he threw the game, and nobody is thinking of the gambling angle?

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm pretty sure he had a discussion with the organization first before giving them a night off. Unless the organization thought it'd be a good idea to bet their own team to lose.

11. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

yeah, i was upset, too, since i have Duncan on my fantasy team. luckily, i also have Nene Hilario, who was able to clean up against the likes of Matt Bonner & Kurt Thomas.

pop is prone to resting his stars as we get closer to the playoffs, but this was just weird.

12. MONON

MONON Member

I couldn't figure it out either. Since they have 5 days off before their next game at Boston on Sunday, why not play the starters. If they get winded, then play the bench. Manu wasn't 100%, so there's a reasonable explaination for that. But Duncan, Parker & Finley's absence are misteries. Don't use the "tank" excuse, because this was a game between division leaders with the 2nd and 3rd playoff seed at stake. Believe me, the Spurs want to be the 2nd or 1st seed so they can draw Phoenix or Dallas in the 1st round. They don't want to finish 3rd and draw Houston or Portland in the 1st round.

The only thing I can think of is they wanted to give the bench more practice for the Boston game. But then why not do that against the Warriors 24 hours earlier?

WEIRD!!

13. blender

blender Member

Pretty bold move. Can't remember the last time a coach did something like this in the middle of the season.

If I paid to see this game, I'd be pissed though.

14. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

love the move by pop.

back to backs take a big toll, especially on the older players and anyone who may be nursing injuries. playing a back to back and resting 4 days is worse than playing 3 games in 5 nights with no back to back IMO. may as well sit them in a regular season game and avoid any injuries caused by fatigue.

pop knows his team is ready to go, so he doesn't need to push them in a game like this against the nuggets. it's not any type of a statement game for the spurs. i think they want to measure themselves against the celtics sunday, and wants everyone ready to go.

i've always like pop as a coach and i always liked his sense of humor. like when he ordered the hack a shaq right off the opening tip just for laughs.

his quotes about yesterday's game were funny too.

“Parker makes the All-Star team and becomes hard to deal with, so we’re going to sit him and teach him a lesson.”

“Duncan says he wants to renegotiate his contract, so I said, ‘Sit, I’m not talking to you.’”

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I really like Pop. PJ may have more rings, but Pop is hands down my fav coach in the league. That hack a shaq amove made me laugh quite a bit lol

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That just doesn't sound right.

I could see him cutting down their minutes, maybe even cutting them in half for the night, but resting them completely against a playoff team?

Maybe Popovich doesn't care at all what seed they get since the West is such a logjam. Better be careful though with 8 teams playing for 7 spots! You never know. Seems to me they are taking things for granted, and that might come back to bite them.

17. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Bingo. The Nugs won the series 2-1, but they know they didn't beat San Antonio at full strength. If the teams match-up in the playoffs, that could mess with the Nugs psyche.

18. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

nuggs probably mind-effed by the fact that san antonio's bench took them to the last minute of this game.

nuggets also probably know that they didn't play as hard because it was the opposing team's bench, but it still can't feel good to BARELY win this game.

mental advantage to SAS in playoffs.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If the Nuggets are that mentally weak as a team, would they really beat the Spurs in the playoffs anyway? Or anyone, for that matter?

20. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

It's at that point we'll see how much of an effect Chauncey has on the team.