1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs sign European legend Ettore Messina as an assistant coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vneuro, Jul 15, 2014.

1. vneuro

vneuro Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Spurs have hired European legend Ettore Messina as an assistant coach, team says.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/489157022836080640">July 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. vneuro

vneuro Member

Dude's like the Popovich of Europe. 4x euroleague champion. 2x euroleague coach of the year. 7x italian cup champion. 5x russian league champion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ettore_Messina

Obviously he's looking using Pop's reputation as a springboard to get an NBA head coaching job himself in the future. Could be an interesting prospect for the Rockets a few years down the road.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Would have really liked him on the Rockets staff but I am sure part of the allure for him is to get to coach along side and learn from the greatest living basketball coach. The Spurs do this with great basketball minds. They have them over for usually a season and both sides move on. I expect him to be an NBA coach relatively soon, in the next year or two... He could even end up the Rockets next head coach.

4. vneuro

vneuro Member

Popovich on Messina:

[​IMG]

5. vneuro

vneuro Member

Yep, exactly. I doubt he stays with the Spurs for long. He's really a head coach in assistant coach's clothing at the moment. Dude deserves to be a head coach in the NBA sooner rather than later.

6. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I was really hoping we would land him AND Hollins as our assistants earlier in the off season. He will be a great coach in this league one day.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

For those saying he's using Pop to get a head coach job, wouldn't he have been able to do that himself seeing as how Blatt got a gig with the Cavs?

8. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think his sole motivation going to San Antonio is because it gives him a shot at a head coaching job. He also gets to be around the best coaching mind in the world.

If Messina is in such high demand as an NBA coach right now, why doesn't he already have an NBA head coaching job? He needs some experience in the NBA. Also don't forget, I believe Blatt was born in the USA.

9. vneuro

vneuro Member

Not all basketball decisions are rational. Derek Fisher has 0 experience and he's getting $5M/year to coach the Knicks. Steve Kerr has 0 experience and he's getting like $4.4M/year.

Look at how that turned out with Kidd in Brooklyn. Jason Kidd was a legendary point guard. He's an awful head coach.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He doesn't know English. He needs to take some tutoring, first.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like it because it's part Messina Hof getting valuable experience & grooming, and part Spurs introducing new strategies into their bubble. Like when New England brought in Chip Kelly to help with the offense.

Plus, Pops loves wine.

12. Remii

Remii Member

It's also a possibility he may be there so Pop can train him to be the next coach of the Spurs. Duncan may only play for another year (hopefully). I think those two want to ride off into the sunset together. That way Messina can learn Pop's style of NBA coaching to combine with his and be ready to take over when Pop leaves.

Just a theory but it was the 1st thing that popped into my head when I saw this.

13. Major

Major Member

This would be my guess - head-coach-in-waiting.

14. Mr Chuck Norris

No I think pop will be there after Duncan. (If this is Tim's last year) he just signed a multi year deal

15. vneuro

vneuro Member

Ya'll are forgetting that Budenholzer was Pop's right hand man for many years. Yeah, he's coaching Atlanta now (and he did pretty well given the roster and given the fact that he hasn't really had time to implement the system yet), but I've always figured that Budenholzer will be back to coach the Spurs whenever Pop retires.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Why would he abandon his team? How in the world is san Antonio attractive once their core retires?

17. torocan

torocan Member

Wow. I'd read rumors, but to know that they actually signed him... freaking Spurs.

I think there's a chance we may be looking at the next HC of the Spurs. Pops is around for 4 more years, but you gotta think that he's looking down the road and thinking about grooming a replacement.

Budenholzer was supposed to be that guy, but now that he's coaching the Hawks I wouldn't be shocked at all if in 4 years we're looking at Messina taking over the reigns.

As for Messina, why wouldn't he want to work with Popovich? The chance to work with a basketball coaching legend and maybe even follow in his foot steps in an organization with a well established winning culture as your first gig has to be pretty darn tempting...

18. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

This guy knows his ****. Good pick up.

19. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

His English is very good. He coached in countries outside Italy.

The reasons he went to Spurs:

1. To become better (hardly would happen in other teams);
    2. To gain NBA experience;

20. conquistador#11

"not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4 but 5 championships in the next 13 years. it's going to be that easy" an unnamed imaginary source told the san antonio post daily.