1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs agree to multi-year extension with Gregg Popovich

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BREAKING NEWS: Coach Pop agrees to multi-year contract extension - <a href="http://t.co/jJIUF5VUb2">http://t.co/jJIUF5VUb2</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoSpursGo?src=hash">#GoSpursGo</a> <a href="http://t.co/MU8xbutMb9">pic.twitter.com/MU8xbutMb9</a></p>&mdash; San Antonio Spurs (@spurs) <a href="https://twitter.com/spurs/statuses/486971317623599104">July 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Splash! Duncan confirmed to play for next 4-5 years

3. Karolik

Karolik Member

**** u Pop, **** u Duncan.

4. -Rockets

-Rockets Member

Best signing of the off season

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

RIP the Rockets winning the SW division any time soon.

6. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amidst the turmoil of this offseason, the defending champs are just laughing at everyone else.

What an incredible franchise. I want to be mad, but I can't.

7. torocan

torocan Member

Well, guess Pops isn't riding off into the sunset any time soon. 4-5 more years of Pops and Co.

The Spurs re-sign their entire roster and Pops. They pick up Kyle Anderson with the 30th pick. And they're still making a play for Pau.

The SW division sure doesn't look like it's going to get any easier...

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Can they just ****ing retire *******.

9. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

What were the contract terms? Anything less than $10M per year is insulting imo. He turns every $5M player into $10M of value.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He probably took a below-market deal so they could continue to game the league and win championships just like all the other Spurs.

11. vneuro

vneuro Member

Pop is worth more than $10M/year (he should be the highest paid coach in the league) but he'll probably continue to take $6M/year or so. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who cares about money. He's already made plenty of it.

He's been making $6M/year for a while now.

12. vneuro

vneuro Member

To people who are worried: don't. Pop is the best coach in the league currently but he still needs talent to work with. Pop is the kind of guy who can turn a 50 win team (by an average coach) into a championship team, or a 30 win team into a 45 win team. The Spurs still need talent to win a championship and on that front they are on their way out. Duncan won't be playing for another 4-5 years.

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm a diehard Rockets fan....but as a fan of the game I can't help but have a huge amount of respect and admiration for Pops and the Spurs organization. Glad to see he will stick around a little while longer because I love watching the teams he coaches....and the press conferences afterwards are always high comedy!

14. torocan

torocan Member

Duncan doesn't need to be featured for 4-5 years in the Spurs system.

All Pops has to do is keep declining his minutes and role and have people step up and fill the gaps until he finds a suitable replacements.

So far they've got Kawhi Leonard (who Pops has called the future face of the franchise). Parker is good for another 4+ years (30 years old). And don't be surprised if they get enough talent to fill in for Manu's role.

And let's not forget, the Spurs have never gone after any blockbuster FA's because they've never needed to go after one (or had the cap space).

Does anyone *really* think that if Duncan/Manu retires and they have a big whack of cap space that there are no legit All Stars that would seriously consider going to the Spurs? Especially those that are approaching the age of 30?

Toss in their solid drafting and no telling how things work out over the coming 3-4 years.

At this point, I've just accepted that as long as Pops is the HC of the Spurs, that you just can't count them out. Every time you think they're too old or their roster is done, they just keep coming back.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Gasol brings the same skills.

16. vneuro

vneuro Member

Honestly? Yes. For whatever reason San Antonio has never been a glamorous destination for all star free agents.

I'm also of the opinion that Kawhi Leonard is highly overrated. He's not a franchise player. He's more of an Andrew Iguodala. He's an integral piece on any championship contender, but he can't be the main guy.

17. vneuro

vneuro Member

If Gasol signs with the Spurs I'll be extremely worried. However, I don't think he'll sign with the Spurs. The Spurs can only offer him MLE money this season and from what I've heard the Spurs are on "the periphery" of Gasol's vision at the moment.

18. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

Andrew Iguodala? You mean Andre Bogut?

19. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

No, he meant what he said. Elite defender, good on offense but isn't what he's known for, great team player.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That means Pop is not going to retire with Duncan and Manu.