1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurrier Resigns!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, Jan 4, 2002.

Tags:
  1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Chevious, Mack can have Timmons at UT if he wants him. I hope he does come, he's a talented player. There were some character issues, but the DMN article disspelled any of that. Robert is supposed to be a great kid. As far as I know, if Mack offers Timmons, he's coming.

2. mduke

mduke Member

Cat, they are just rumors. It is likely that he will stay at OU, but Florida would be the only school that he would leave for.(Not that he wants to leave, but he wouldn't go anywhere else) I wouldn't be surprised if Florida took a long hard look at Mike Stoops, if brother Bob says no...

3. Timing

Timing Member

My magic 8-ball says Spurrier is going to Dallas. How bout them Cowgirls!!

4. Major

Major Member

<B>spurrier. . . what a chump. leave it to a classless turd like him to try to steal some of the college football spotlight by resigning the day after the national title game. </B>

I disagree. If he wanted attention, he could have leaked it so there would have been rumors floating, or announced it yesterday. It looks to me like he waited until after the season was over, but as early as possible to let UF find a new coach, especially with recruiting season in full swing.

I hope Stoops doesn't leave -- I like having the bar set high. Can you imagine Spurrier at A&M? :D

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Could Spurrier's ego co-exist with Jones' ego?

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I guess it was Rocketman Tex who said this, but I think that is a good possibility: Dungy quits Tampa to become the Vikings coach and Spurrier becomes the new Bucs coach.

Just because Tampa Bay might do well in the playoffs doesn't mean that Dungy "has" to stay. It could very well be one of those situations like in 1964. That year in baseball the Cardinals beat the Yankees in the World Series. No one, except for a couple of people who were behind the scenes, knew that the Cards Manager, Johnny Keane, had already agreed to resign with the Cards and become the Yankees Manager. Poor Yogi Berra! A Yankee legend who in his only season took them to the World Series. His reward? He got his ass fired! That is why, I think, Yogi has been somewhat reluctant in the past and now in participating in Yankee type things. He still has hard feelings about that, and can you blame him?

Also, I agree with chievous completely that Spurrier probably had an ulterior motive in picking today. He's the type of egomaniac that would try to steal the thunder away from some college kids who just won a national championship.

BTW - I'm shocked as well by this. However, I don't think many of us really realize how long Spurrier was at Florida. 12 years is a pretty damn long time regardless of where you coaching. I guess everyone just assumed that he would stay there forever.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

no; that'll never happen, not as long as jones can draw a breath.

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

i think spurrier may be looking at indy, manning, harrison, james with his offense WOW, also minnesota and maybe the bucs

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Uh oh Sooner fans... ;)

http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=805511&pic=none&TP=getsooners

Stoops faces 'tough decision,' brother says
    2002-01-04
    By Berry Tramel
    The Oklahoman

OU co-defensive coordinator Mike Stoops said his brother, Sooner coach Bob Stoops, faces "a tough decision" after the resignation today of Florida coach Steve Spurrier.
    "What does it mean? I think it means a lot for Bob," said Mike Stoops. "It will be a tough decision for him."

Bob Stoops was Spurrier's defensive coordinator from 1996-98 at Florida. In three years as OU's coach, Stoops has a record of 31-7 and won the 2000 national championship. Florida won the national title in 1996, Stoops' first year with the Gators.

Bob Stoops was unavailable for immediate comment. But Mike Stoops said his brother "had a lot of success there (Florida). It's a great climate, a great place to recruit to. You can win a national championship there. "Our programs (OU and Florida) are on the verge every year, seems like ... we're at that level now."

Mike Stoops said Bob "loves what he's doing right now, to be honest with you. He really enjoys our players, the people of Oklahoma, the people he works with every day."

Of Spurrier's resignation, Mike Stoops said, "It's never easy. It's never a good time.

"I didn't think it would ever happen. He personally loved it so much. It'll be interesting to see what happens."

In June, Bob Stoops signed a contract extension that guarantees him $2 million a year through the 2007 season. It made Stoops the second-highest paid college coach, behind only Spurrier.

Stoops has been mentioned for a variety of big-time college jobs -- Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame -- but has remained steadfast that he wasn't interested. It is widely believed that only Florida could pique his interest.

"He has never said it," OU athletic director Joe Castiglione said of Stoops' interest in Florida. "It has never come up in conversation."

Castiglione said "every time a job opens, that question gets raised, and everytime he says he's happy to be at Oklahoma."

Castiglione said Stoops has a buyout clause in his contract, "but as I've said many times, I think the quality of his contract is much stronger than any buyout. It's more a positive reinforcement than a negative."

Stoops arrived at OU making $625,000 a year but received three raises his first 18 months on the job.

10. The Cat

11. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

that has to be a hoax. how did you do that?

that is a hoax, right?!!!?

12. The Cat

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

#33 Manny Ramirez, Jan 4, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2002
  14. TexasG

TexasG Member

As much as I would like to see this happen, it never will. Spurrier has just as big, if not bigger ego than Jimmy Johnson. No way they could co-exist. Also the rebuilding job isn't going so bad in Big-D. They have a solid foundation, and have spent quite a bit of time getting Quincy to learn this offense. If they change it, it will only screw with Q's head.

15. Major

Major Member

Somebody on the Austin360 message boards pointed out that Willingham, Green, and Dungy all have the same agent. Interesting scenario could be Willingham to Notre Dame (done), Green to Stanford (used to coach there), Dungy to Minnesota (speculation on this already and they need a defensive mind), Spurrier to Tampa Bay (they need an offensive mind).

Of course, this all assumes Tampa Bay doesn't go crazy and win the Super Bowl, screwing all of this up.

16. Major

Major Member

http://espn.go.com/ncf/s/spurrier/floridajob.html

ESPN took a poll of 26 college coaches' "dream jobs". Florida was #1 with Texas #2, followed by Florida State, Miami, and Notre Dame. Not really relevant, but I thought that was neat.

Funny quote from the article:

<I>"I'm sure everybody was drooling this morning," one head coach from the West said when polled Friday, after news of Spurrier's departure broke. "They were looking around at what had just happened and the drool started to fall."</I>

Also, Spurrier had a pretty classy final statement:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/2002/01/04/spurrier_statement_ap/

<I>GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) --

I'm announcing my retirement today Jan. 4, 2002, as head football coach at the University of Florida. I simply believe that 12 years as head coach at a major university in the SEC is long enough.

I thank all the players, assistant coaches, support staff people and the greatest football fans in the world for the success we have shared the last 12 years.

I also personally thank all the Gators that went to the Orange Bowl to support our team last Wednesday night in my final game.

I believe Jeremy Foley, who has a reputation of hiring outstanding coaches, will bring a coach to Florida that will do just as well or better in the years to come. I believe I'm certainly not the only coach to be able to win consistently at Florida.

Our football program is in excellent shape and the next coach will inherit a very talented team, just like I did from Galen Hall's program in 1990.

I've had a wonderful working relationship with all my bosses over the past 12 years. I thank Bob Bryan for hiring me, and I thank Bill Arnsparger, Jeremy Foley, President John Lombardi and President Chuck Young for allowing me to run the football program.

I'm not burned out, stressed out or mentally fatigued from coaching. I just feel my career as a college head coach after 15 years is complete and if the opportunity and challenge of coaching a NFL team happens it is something I would like to pursue.

I believe that the University of Florida is the best place for a high school football player to get an education and play football in the best stadium, "The Swamp," before the best football fans in the world.

Again, I thank the "Gator Nation" for the overwhelming support of our teams for 12 years. The seven SEC championships and the 1996 national championship are memories of a lifetime that we will all share together.

I'm a Gator and will be for the rest of my life.
    </I>

17. red

red Contributing Member

i just showed cat's webpage on RC to an aggie coworker of mine and she started jumping for joy cause she hates RC...i havnt got the heart to tell her it was a joke...

...shell go home and tell her aggie husband and then they will talk to friends and be confused all weekend long until i see them on mon...

...ahahah im cruel...

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

don't feel too bad. if they're really aggies, they would have been confused all weekend, anyway. you just gave them a different reason for their confusion.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I just heard on the radio that ESPN's Chris Meyer, quoting sources close to the Jaguars, is reporting that Spurrier is set to sign on as head coach, GM and minority owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Good grief!

20. Major

Major Member

<B>I just heard on the radio that ESPN's Chris Meyer, quoting sources close to the Jaguars, is reporting that Spurrier is set to sign on as head coach, GM and minority owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Good grief!</B>

I bet Brunell, Jimmy Smith, and McCardell are dreaming of the number of Pro-Bowls they'll be attending in the coming years. :)