1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sprint/Verizon Wireless Broadband Cards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LongTimeFan, Aug 4, 2008.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Anyone have experience with either of these? I'm moving to a different state this week, and I'm considering getting one of these instead of paying for comcast cable. However, I'm worried about my DL speeds (music, torrents, etc). A quick glance at google didn't turn out to be much help, so I'm just seeing if any forum members have any experience with these and can comment on the speed difference?

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

From my experience of the Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile cards. The sprint is hands down the best one as far as speed goes.

3. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I've had the Cingular cards for personal use for a few years now - a bit slow - but fine for my travels.

My new company pays for Verizon cards and I'll be switching to that today. I'll let you know my experiences...

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Using one of these cards for broadband P2P is a bad idea, speed wise. Also, AT&T just announced that they would ban P2P traffic.

And I agree with Stack- Sprint has the best speed...but then again, they have the worst customer service, so it's a tough decision.

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

It won't have the speed of fast cable. Closer to solid - good, but not great DSL speed.

[​IMG]

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I've got Verizon WWAN on my work laptop, and it's worked fairly well. Then again, I've only used it in Houston, San Francisco, and New York, so I'm not sure how well it works in smaller cities. I've also got an external card, but I've only tested it in Houston. (FYI: The integrated WWAN card is faster than the external card.)

I wouldn't recommend a card as your sole source of internet, though, as most providers have caps on monthly bandwidth (around 5GB/month).

7. MykTek

MykTek Member

i have to agree, i did some research myself and sprint offers the best deal and speed....

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i have to questions about this.

do you have to have a cell phone with the company you use to get this service?

and does tmobile offer it? im having a hard time find information online about this.

thanks

9. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I have used the Sprint Mobile Broadband for a little over a year with no bandwidth limit, and I haven't had any problems...and I use T-Mobile for my cell phone service, so there's no problem there.

I had understood that T-Mobile's wireless service wasn't as good, so I went with Sprint.

10. x3ldonx

x3ldonx Member

I have a Sprint Usb Air Card it is the best... I want to say almost as fast as dsl... Also works outside of the U.S. of course roaming applies, but its worth it.

Get one you wont regret... Pretty expensive though

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Exactly -- that's what I found out today. That won't work for me, but I suppose it's fine for people who just surf. I can't believe they don't offer an unlimited package anymore -- my cousin has an unlimited bandwidth package, but he got in on it when it was fairly new.

Thanks for all the responses guys -- looks like it's comcast again.