1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Springer/Reddick vs Tucker/Straw

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Apr 2, 2021.

?

Will 2020 Springer/Reddick or 2021 Tucker/Straw have the higher OPS?

1. 2020 Springer/Reddick

45 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. 2021 Tucker/Straw

29 vote(s)
    39.2%
  1. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

Some of our best postseason walkoffs were preceded by George taking a walk in a big situation.

1.5 tools seems low. The only disappointment was he never improved the run game. Which is really criminal to the whole team when you have access to Bagwell and Biggio.

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Whats your bar for calling it a tool/elite tool? Kiermaier and Andruw Jones were generational level defenders, basically 80 grades on defense.

Springer is a solid 50 grade at defense in my book. He's not elite but he's solid average or better i'd count that as another tool.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Right. Tools don’t necessarily turn into production. Springer might’ve had a lot more steals on a crummier team. If “speed” is a tool, Springer obviously has it. Stolen bases isn’t a tool, it’s a stat. It may be semantics, but Springer is a player with 5 plus-to-elite tools whose defensive and baserunning stats didn’t reflect his speed and arm tools.

4. Milos

Milos Member

I was always taught 60 and above counts as a 'tool' for a guy ... meaning it is a 'plus' in their evaluation

A tool, in scouting, meant something the player can use to impact the game positively
    For instance, a 99mph FB is not a 65-70 grade tool unless it is consistently thrown for strikes, and gets swings and misses regularly

A 5 tool OF should be 60+ across the board
    Based on his 8 years, I'd grade only Springer's power as 60+
    Arm I'd go right at 60 ... Reddick was better in RF
    The legs just don't impact enough on bases or in the field
    Glove is just 50 average
    Contact same maybe 55 for .270 career with twice as many Ks as BBs

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I get that this fits with how the word "tools" are graded in baseball, but it makes me laugh that jargon can change so much from its origin. An actual tool's purpose is to perform a task (i.e., to produce).

Is a tool that can't perform its task still a tool?

Milos likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It just highlights how the traditional definitions of those “tools” isn’t aligned with the production they were created to predict.

It would probably be a hard shift to get to take root, but changing the “tools” to be Baserunning (which could be split into “Speed” and “Instincts”), Defense (which could be split into “Range”, “Instincts”, “Glove”, “Arm strength”, and “Arm accuracy”), On-Base (which could be split into “Plate Discipline”, “Pitch recognition”, and “Contact ability”), and Power (which could be split into “Exit velocity” and “launch angle”) would make them more aligned with production.

Wulaw Horn and Milos like this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Your idea of 5 tool is pretty high. Who is

So generational talents like Trout are the only 5 tool players. If that is your definition, then that's your definition.

Bregatron likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've seen the 60-grade as the determining factor for whether a tool is a tool. 5-tool players should be rare by that definition.

jim1961 and Milos like this.
  9. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Based off what Milos is thinking of what a 5-tool player is and having those tools show up in stats, outside of Trout and maybe Griffey Jr., I'm having trouble thinking of a stat-based 5-tool player.

I believe that all the defensive stats out there, as flawed as they may be, showed that Springer was a better RF than CF. Also, while Reddick MAY have been a better RF than Springer (at some point), his bat was pale in comparison. And while Kiermaier certainly has been one of the best CF I have seen defensively, his bat was fairly average. If you pick and choose certain players and their best tool, yeah, that player would look better than Springer at that one tool. But comparing the players in their entirety, Springer would be better than most of them.

Do I think Springer is a "5-tool player?" Not really. But he certainly is more than a 1.5-tool player. Billy Hamilton is a 1-tool player, and personally speaking, I believe that Springer has way more tools than Hamilton.

#189 Bregatron, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  10. rockbox

So generational talents. I'm cool if that is the accepted definition.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Whether or not Springer is 1.5 tool player or not, saying Springer is slightly better than Hamilton in a toolsy way is more on you than Milos. It is possible that a 1-2 tool player could be better than a 3-4 tool player. Springer's tools play. Each tool is not created equal.

Personally, I would grade Springer high on hit (plate discipline is a part of hit tool in my opinion) and power.

#191 Joe Joe, Sep 14, 2021
  12. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Fair enough. I was trying to think of a better of putting it where it didn't across in that particular way and I obviously failed. I may just delete that part, even though it's quoted here.

Edit: Changed it to reword it to what I should have probably said in the first place. ;)

13. Milos

Milos Member

Other 5tool OFs I've seen play ...
    Trout
    Griffey Jr
    Acuna
    Beltran
    Otani
    Larry Walker
    Vlad Sr
    Eric Davis
    Rickey
    Strawberry
    Winfield

Close 4 but not quite all 5:
    Judge (speed is iffy)
    Barry (weak arm)
    Andruw (contact not a plus)
    Yelich (arm)
    Ichiro (pop)

On Springer as 1.5 ...
    Yeah I admitted before that was harsh
    Def has power 65
    I'll add arm as 60
    Speed on the border 55 or 60
    Contact 55
    Glove 50

So revised 2.5 - 3 ... def not 5

#193 Milos, Sep 14, 2021
    Wulaw Horn and Bregatron like this.
  14. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

I should have thought harder about these lol. I'm going to be honest, didn't realize that Vlad and Walker were good base stealers. Walker was more consistent, while Vlad had a higher peak looking back at their stats. I thought about Ohtani, but with him pitching so much and DH'ing, it's hard for me to put a value on his defense.

Also, a fringey one for me would also be Bo Jackson. Not sure if his hit tool would qualify him, but he'd be close.

Milos likes this.
  15. Milos

Milos Member

Good pull on Bo ... cannot believe I overlooked him

Larry, for me, is 'toolsy' in RF the way Baggy was at 1B
    There's really no athletic reason he should be, but the results are undeniable when he's swiping so many bases and scoring so many runs year after year

Bregatron likes this.
  16. rockbox

Pitcher is the most important defensive position.

17. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Not saying it isn't important as defense up the middle is most important, but having him in the field 30-35 times a year as opposed to 150+ just makes it harder for me to put him on the list that Milos had. Though I'm sure if Ohtani was run out to RF 150+ times a year, he would be on the list as I'm not sure if there is anything he can't do. But I was mainly thinking of it from an OF perspective since Milos had listed OFers. But if I take away Ohtani as an OFer, with his pitching, he would be up there on the list of toolsy players. Would his pitching actually be a sixth tool? Honest question. :)

#197 Bregatron, Sep 14, 2021
  18. Milos

Milos Member

Spot on

By definition, guys who can 'do it all' are almost exclusively limited to SS, CF & RF
    It would be a wasteful to stick all that talent behind the dish, on the corners, at 2B, or in LF
    That does not mean every MLB team's best players are SS, CF or RF

Pujols has built an argument as greatest RH hitter ever on just 2 tools
    Vlad Jr & Soto look like they may be similar HoF level hitters who are sub-par in every other phase of the game

IMO, Springer is not below average at anything on a baseball field unlike the group above
    I'd grade him 50+ across the board
    But he's become a consistent AllStar primarily due to his elite power (65)

If you can only be eilte at one thing, in the modern game, that's def the one to get you paid
    I'd grade Marisnick's glove as his lone borderline elite tool (65)
    Unfortunately for him, his contact is below average (45-) to the point he has never hit enough to stick as a regular starter in CF

A great glove has far less value to teams in the OF than a great stick
    Thus, Springer has a shot at the HoF, while Jake is a journeyman

#198 Milos, Sep 14, 2021
    Wulaw Horn and Bregatron like this.
  19. rockbox

All I know is that the Angels have two baseball gods on their team and still manage to suck ass every year. Good for the Astros, but I feel bad for those two.

Bregatron likes this.
  20. rockbox

Was Bonds considered a 5 tool player? I know he won a bunch gold gloves and he was pretty darn fast in his youth. Even without the roids, Bonds was pretty darn amazing.