1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spree to Mavs for Van Exel ???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Old School, Oct 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Old School

Old School Member

I heard some mention on an ESPN radio sports flash that that deal may be in the works.

I'd hate to see the Mavs get a healthy Spreewell, whenever that might be.

os

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

First smart thing the Mavs have done all off season. At least one player willing to play defense. To bad he will probably get upset no one else is and choke Nellie.:D

3. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I seriously doubt this happens. With the Mavs about to sign Walt Williams why do they need another swingman? Especially at the expense of NVE. I would be very dissapointed if this happen, which I doubt it will.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Actually it would make sense. Instead of running with two PGs in the backcourt they would be able to run with Spree and Finley on the wings. When Sprewell is on his game he is dominant, and being in Dallas could give him a boost. He is an awesome defender, and that is the type of guy you want to throw against the Kobe's of the world and hit big shots. This makes sense for the Knicks to. Obviously it would have been perfect with a healthy McDyess, but come next year when McDyess is hopefully healthy, he and Van Exel could be an explosive duo.

5. aries323

aries323 Member

If Van Exel goes to New york, which I don't think he will, then they will have Van Exel and Dice, kinda similar to the old Denver squad. I don't want to see Spree in Dallas. He is solid player outside all of his outside baggage.:cool:

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Spree would not be content as 3rd or 4th banana behind Dirk, Nash, and Finley.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think Finley would be the odd man out in this scenario. Dallas's problem is defense and Spree helps them alot in this area without giving up too much on the defensive side. Dallas would never give up Dirk and Nash would be too hard to get a replacement for. Since Nash doesn't really shoot the ball that much, Spree would be only second banana.

I can see Finley being traded for a banger of some type if this trade comes to fruit.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Well, I don't consider bananas being pecking order of shots... I think of it as having the ball in your hands. Nash will have the ball in his hands more than Spree will.

Spree will be basically reduced to a role player. We shall see how he responds emotionally, and on the floor.

I've never been too enthralled with Spree, personally.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Lemme tell ya'll just how big a crock of BULLSH!T all this talk is.......Spree aint ever gonna play for Nellie - he hates him with a passion, ergo Nellie will not trade for him.

10. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I agree that it's a crock of BS however not for the same reason you stated. This rumor is being brought up again by guess who ... Peter Vescey.

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Because it's Latrell Sprewell, a versatile, intense G-F combo player that can score and play defense.

Seems pretty simple to me. Oh, and Finley isn't going anywhere. If anyone is the odd man out, it's Griffin.

12. slinslin

slinslin Member

Nash
    Finley
    Spree
    Dirk
    LaFrentz

That is pretty good. I doubt Kobe can handle a Finley/Spree double team too well, both of them are tough defenders.

13. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

vecsey obviously has some sources and hyped "credibility" but why's he ruins it by always mentioning a weird-ass trade (just to get his name on it first or something)

typical vecsey...

chaney: well, i'm thinking about getting a van that excels on road trips

vecsey: damn, this is huge news! van exel!

chaney: err, it's just a vehicle to move us around better

vecsey: whoa! i'm going to immediately get to the press to unload my name on this news first

chaney: uhm. i'm going now.

vecsey: wait. wait! who're u trading for nick?

chaney: are u feeling well?

vecsey: spreewell?

he should be working for the inquirer