1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SPOTRAC] Rockets 2023 Offseason Preview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m still trying to get over the fact that we are locked in on KPJ for another year at $18mil when we didn’t have to be. In what world was that a good idea, seriously?

payaso likes this.
  2. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

It’s actually going to be $13.5M against the cap next season. 2.5M in unlikely bonuses, and another 2.5M in “likely bonuses” which will he will turn into unlikely bonuses when he plays less than 60 games this season.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I thought it was a club option.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All In shouldn't be the word here.

Rockets Hold'Em Edition.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

LaVine, Brown and KAT are not disgruntled.

Their franchises are doing the world for them, they are entitled.

6. roxon

roxon Member

Biggest priority is a coach. Getting nurse or udoka would be HUGE for us.

tackle on whatever draft pick we get and a full year of green, kpj, Tari, bari and kmj with a great coach will let us know exactly what we need to do in the 2024 offseason.

Jumping the gun too quick may be a big mistake for the rockets future

sydmill and Mathloom like this.
  7. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

What is up with people wanting a declining player in Harden back while giving up a potentially good player in Sengun and messing up the rebuild entirely for a low probability of making it deep into the playoffs?

Corpusfan, Mathloom and Cosmonaut like this.
  8. Ancient Moabite

The Stone selected core should eat drink sleep bball this off-season, all across the board, work majorly on weaknesses and keep sharp on what they do well, after a two week break once the season ends

OremLK likes this.
  9. payaso

payaso Member

You mean... act like actual accountable, mature and serious grown men being paid a ridiculous sum of money to play a game where most of us get pleasure from just nailing a jumper from the elbow without drawing air or iron?

[​IMG]

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I had a weird dream last night. I’m not joking. I was making the case about talent on our roster to a group of peopl, and said something about KPJ not being part of the future. And KPJ was in the crowd and started crying. Then I felt really bad and I gave him a big bear hug and told him I was just joking. Then he felt better.

true story bro….in my dream.

11. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

I would like to echo this guys comment. Seriously why do people want Harden? The only reason I would be picking him up, would be he takes a huge discount to allow signing of other players. Harden on the max is just dumb. The guy can't even keep healthy anymore, let alone play at the max salary standard. He is way past it. Give up on him already. he left. He played great for Houston, but those days are gone. Move on to someone that can be here long term into the future to pair up with our young guys.

payaso and Magicsaint like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

he doesn't mess up the rebuild in any way. He's actually a necessary bridge to get on the right track. it isn't about some deep run into the playoffs at all. It never was. The rockets are so far from the playoffs it shouldn't even be a thought. You have to learn how to walk before you can actually run. folks think there isn't levels to this and you can just suddenly skip from being the worst to the best the very next year. Nah it doesn't work that way.

Otherwise you'll see more of the same of what its been the last 2 years. if you're fine with that then that's you

13. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

What we have seen in last 2 years is exactly how rebuild work. Team is purposely tanking and outcome is fans wanting to blame anyone and everyone because of it. Even I have complained irrationally on this forum out of frustration.

There is no guarantee when it comes to draft picks let alone picking a potential superstar. There has been more bust than superstars when it comes to top 10 picks. Some teams have to continue tanking until they can build a young team that looks promising and then fill the gaps once there are potential young superstars in the making. Not everyone gets lucky to land players like Kobe and LBJ via draft.

Harden is simply not filling any gaps when teams have to give up so much to get him. And you really think Harden will want to give up money to come play for a rebuilding team like Houston? He wanted out because of this very reason.

Honestly, I do not even think Harden is willing to join the Rockets unless team is ready to give him outrageous contract which Rockets should simply not do. He is looking for a nice pay so he can retire comfortably and he does not help Rockets in any way except to win few more games.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

And guys with potential don't become what they can be unless they have a relevant player next to them that impacts winning to the degree of a harden type player. None of these guys learn a damn thing with scrubs next to them who know next to nothing about winning

Harden fills plenty of huge gaps on this roster. He doesn't need to give up money. The rockets have plenty of it to spend. It's way better to spend it on someone who actually impacts winning than wannabe's that don't

and what you've seen for the last 2 years will continue for years to come if that's what you want without any relevant guys coming in to bridge the rebuilding phase. If you want the rockets to sign the likes of Theis again to be the "vet" then you're just wasting time and money

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

17. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

It sounds crazy to me to pay a 33 yr old a big contract simply to instil a winning attitude. And I think most basketball players come to the league with a winning attitude. Competitive nature is what makes them to work hard to become a professional athlete to begin with. Currently it is not the lack of winning attitude that is making the team lose in my opinion. It is combination of tanking strategy by coaches and management to get Vic W. plus players inexperience which will improve in time. Owner himself said “pray for Victor” which clearly tells the intent of tanking. Current management simply do not want the team to win at this point so one cannot blame the players or even the coach, as much as I do not like Silas.

And with what was possibly available when it comes to rebuild, I am quite ok with what has happened in the past 2 years.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

A player can have a winning attitude all they want. Doesn't mean they actually know how to win in the NBA. All players try to claim this but it definitely isn't true. When you come into the league they're basically starting from scratch, trying to find a role and how to determine what actually wins games and what doesn't. And we see every year tons of players with "potential" never learn it. Competitive nature is an assumption they all work hard. They don't. A ton of players are fine with doing the bare minimum to get by and get paid some and be content with that. The ones that separate themselves are the one who actually put in the time and effort daily and make it literally a habit.

Like i said if you're ok with struggling to win 20 games every year that's you.

#38 YOLO, Mar 30, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah he's mostly right, although I don't think it's about whether you played college ball, it's about age, physical development, and number of reps. There have been guys who came over from the top leagues in Europe who were good right away. Wemby coming in at age 19 will probably be a productive player right away thanks to his physical gifts but it will probably take him a year or two to be a true superstar.

Odd thread to post that clip in though...

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No, next season is guaranteed - Here are the trigger dates for the rest of the contract:

• 2024-25: non-guaranteed, $1 million guaranteed on 7/1/23, $3 million guaranteedon Opening Night, $6 million guaranteed 5 days after 2024 trade deadline (est. 2/28/24), fully guaranteed on 6/30/24
    • 2025-26: non-guaranteed, fully guaranteed on 6/30/24
    • 2026-27: Club Option/non-guaranteed, fully guaranteed on 6/30/25
    • 2023-24: $2,379,000 LTBE (>=60 reg season games), $2,379,000 ULTBE (team wins + playoff metric)
    • 2024-25: $2,379,000 LTBE (>=60 reg season games), $2,379,000 ULTBE (team wins + playoff metric)
    • 2025-26: $2,379,000 LTBE (>=60 reg season games), $2,379,000 ULTBE( team wins + playoff metric)
    • 2026-27: $2,379,000 LTBE (>=60 reg season games), $2,379,000 ULTBE (team wins + playoff metric)

OremLK likes this.