1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Spotlight: Is Luther Done?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Apr 25, 2008.

1. HoustonN06

HoustonN06 Member

Luther is not useless at all. Dude can still knock down triples. He would be very important in a series vs Phoenix or LA. Both those teams have small guards and we would also need him to add a little scoring punch from the land of plenty.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree with this. That said, Luther is effectively done for this series...at least for now. I know that's hedging and all, but why would you play him again, foul trouble aside?

And with that, he may be done as a Rocket. He's been useful the past few seasons for sure, but as such may actually have some value as part of a trade package.

3. dookiester

dookiester Member

Luther shot 44% from 3 last year, on 401 attempts. He only took 225 this year, making at a 35% clip.

I don't believe Luther is a choker. He has hit big shots in the past. I DO believe he is just too undersized to play the 2 against the majority of NBA teams (including the Jazz), which is the only spot he is capable of manning since he lacks the fundamentals to be a point guard. I don't believe in keeping a player just because he's capable of playing well against the 4 or 5 teams out of 29 he actually matches up well with.

4. cshen

cshen Member

Luther still has the best pump fake in the world :D

5. LoveRoxHateJazz

It's all in his head. He's still our most proven 3 pt shooter.

But the Jazz are so damn long at every position, that it's hard to get away with playing Luther against Brewer/Harpring. They take away his 3 pt shot, and find ways to score on him with their size advantage.

If we were playing the Hornets or Dallas, he would be a perfect.

6. Serg300

Serg300 Member

He plays like he's traumatized from JVG's lashings. I hope he snaps out of it and starts raining threes.

7. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

hopefully yes...we should trade him for a better guard.

8. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

if you value him so little, how do you figure we get something better?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am DaDakota and I endorse this post !!

DD

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm still upset that we couldn't trade him and the #8 pick to Minny for Brandon Roy. I'd been coveting Roy all year; Portland really screwed us on that one. You don't know how much it bothers me to see him on that team. It's enough to make me spit.

Anyway, I don't think Luther's done in Houston. He'll match up well against the lakers and suns, if we can advance. There's no doubt we've been trying to move him for awhile now, so no one will be shedding a tear if we move him in a package deal. I hope we move him on draft day.

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This is a matter of brains, style, and how much your game focuses on scoring.

There are guys like Shane Battier and Robert Horry who look a lot better on a championship team than on a lottery team.

Then there are guys like Cuttino Mobley and Mike James who look a lot better on a lottery team.

Remember how well Luther played against weak teams as the starting 2 when McGrady was out. Luther will look a lot better on a lottery team. Let's find a good deal and send him to one.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think it has more to do with style. He thrived in JVG's role of backup PG (which he sucked) and sniper 3pointer. He has always been streaky so I put his poor playoff performance to that, but when adelman tried to expand his role he regressed.

With that in mind I don't think he can thrive on a lotto team.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Trade him for J.J., straight up!

14. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

We'll see more of him Round 2. ;)

15. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

Everytime he slashes he does one of 2 things. Lays it up about a third of the time, the other 2/3rds of the time he tries to make a pass through defenders which results in a turnover. He does this at least once every time he plays. Thats if hes NOT running the point. I've always loved Luther but that doesn't change the fact that he makes bad decisions and commits worthless turnovers.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Stop teasing me, you know I would make that trade so fast it would make your head spin.

DD

17. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Luther Head was done a long time ago. He might be useful as a cheap 3rd string back-up during the regular season, but he should never play meaningful mins ever.

18. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

LUTHER is done for this series.. he just doesnt play well agianst the jazz.. next round he will play if we get there. and i am confident we will.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He is also much more effective when we have Yao. Without Yao those wide open shots are just not there.

20. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

No way Luther is done....just because he hasnt contributed in the playoffs dont mean ****....he has been an incredible outside shooter for us (3-pointers)....he has a better percentage hitting the 3 than alston or BJ....this team is built around Yao, its an inside out game....he will be needed. Yall are stupid cuz he improved his game this season under adelman's offense....hope we keep him