1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spotify, streaming music and backup storage questions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Oct 8, 2012.

1. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

I love spotify too. One thing it doesn't do is stream to multiple devices simultaneously. If you're streaming on one device and streaming starts on another, the first device is stopped. Rdio is one of the other top paid choices but I've never used it. They do have family plans with 2 unlimited subscriptions for 17.99 a month. They're pretty similar services.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I pay for Pandora yearly. I set up about 50 'band' channels and then just let the Quickmix run randomly most of the time. I get a massive collection that way since each 'band' channel plays 20 or 30 different "like" bands. I get very few repeats even after hours and hours.

Pandora does seem to play more live versions of songs; maybe the royalties are cheaper. You need to pay though, the commercials on the free version are lame and repetitive.

Spotify is invaluable though if you love hearing everything that comes out new.
    I get a weekly new release newsletter from Allmusic.com and there are always 3 or 4 new CD's I want to hear on it.

1 person likes this.
  3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Spotify +1

I have it on my phone and Ipad(app is much better).

New music every week. When I first got it they didn't have Arcade Fire, now they do. Spotify has grown so much they are able to get most music especially new and indie music. No Beatles or Rolling Stones. I have many playlists including standup comedy albums. I can share my playlists with you if you are my friend on Spotify also. You can also have playlists that your friends can add to for you. You then can set it up download playlists. I have thousands of songs available offline but it only takes up 6 GBs or so.

4. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I use MOG for streaming music but you should check out Spotify, Rhapsody and RDIO as well. They all offer similar services for a similar price so you really need to do some research to find the best service for you with regard to things like UI preferences and catalog quirks.

Having said that they are nowhere near perfect. For me specifically I hate the way they do a crappy job of integrating your personal music with cloud music. For example, your playlists won't ever have the Beatles on them because they aren't licensed for streaming and it's hard or impossible to combine local files with the streaming content (unless you have a Sonos system but that is another can of worms).

I think they a great suppliment to personal music and an awesome way to listen/find new music.

5. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Incorrect. The Beatles have an exclusive agreement with iTunes only. This means all other digital business partners including MOG, Grooveshark, Spotify, whatever can not distribute any Beatles product type for any distribution channel. It is not a streaming issue.

The streaming music model is a hot thing right now. You don't have to worry about physical devices, the cloud saves hard space, etc. However, be wary that it can have a ball and chain effect. What if business partners have no more rights to stream music? Consumers who have life long subscriptions would be left to their own devices (no pun intended) to find out new methods to play their favorite albums and tracks. All of sudden, it still sounds useful to own that original LP or CD of your favorite artist.

6. Mizhemp

Mizhemp Member

It's interesting that you bring this point up, but there's questions about Spotify's sustainability now. TNW posted an article just last week wherein it reported that Spotify posted a 59 million dollar loss. Of course, the culprit is the Studios who demand ridiculously high royalty rates.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/...ed-a-59m-net-loss-in-2011-on-244m-in-revenue/

7. dmenacela

Thanks for that. It brings back my point of what happens to the consumers when these partner contracts are not extended between them and record labels (like UMG)?

Also, I'd be very interested to see how the royalty terms are set up between like Spotify and the record labels/artists. Spotify has a 'premium option' where users can sync music to their phones and computers. That means users can play and 'own' tracks (even ad supported content after their premium subscription ends) whenever they want. That's got to account for more royalty expenditures for Spotify to sustain!

8. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

left holding an empty bag :mad:
    happened to me when imeem was bought by myspace.

9. dmenacela

Bingo.

Bottom Line - Spotify and other streaming partners can offer great service but if they can't continue to secure any rights or extend licenses with the record labels then your music catalog is FUBAR. Tread carefully!