1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sportsradio 610]: Astros trade Ensberg to Padres

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bwarren, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

pupura has pupura isnt a fat joke...it's a skip disease joke

2. msn

msn Member

"Cabrera a Brave."

(bonus points to any who remember that one)

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Well, he is fat, and IMO he's not a great GM. He's not terrible, either. He is just in a bad situation...he wanted to keep the team intact thinking we could make a run and he has to sleep in the bed he made. If he tries to make wholesale changes at multiple positions, he's basically admitting he was wrong in his assessments of our overall talent, and that would be damning.

Regardless, I am glad that he didn't make a trade just to make one (getting ripped off in the process)

At least we got cash for Mo and although I don't love the Wheeler trade, it isn't terrible.

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I've heard rumors they have asked Biggio to step aside before the season is over. Maybe his retirement will be before season's end?

5. RedRaiderRocket

More like they have so many holes they don't know where to start improving, so they just and wait for the offseason. It is just amazing how quickly a team can go such down hole since Hunshicker left. Don't give me the crap that Pupura's great GMing brought us to a world series, he stumbled into one. By far the worst GM in all of sports.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

All 22 of them?

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Isiah Thomas resents that last sentence. So does Kevin McHale

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

Im going to go out on a limb here and say that there is a 100% chance of that not happening.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's amazing how Hunsicker gets all the credit for building a World Series team, yet he gets none of the blame for the demise of the farm system. (which is the way it is because of drafting from 1999 to 2003)

10. msn

msn Member

He's done absolutely nothing to distinguish himself, sans the Loretta and Lee signings, but "worst GM in all of sports"? Man, Hunsicker and Morey really had/have us spoiled. There are tons worse out there; one is the GM of the Orlando Magic (unless he's finally quit or been fired).

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps they have signed Loretta and/or Lamb to contracts for next season.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Not mention the basketball GMs in Portland, New Orleans, and the baseball GMs in Kansas City and Toronto.

13. msn

msn Member

...while at the same time trading away pieces of that same farm system which he was failing to replenish at the drafts.

14. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Worse rumor in the history of the BBS.

15. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I thought that he would have been a better fit in San Fran, with the way he likes to watch those balls go my him.

16. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

hmm, let me take a stab at AB's routine....

"making a post to count up post counts on a Biggio comment"

smart

"making a ridiculous rumor that the Astros WANT Biggio to step aside before the season ends..."

stupid

problem solved :) (yea i just added that, its an AB trademark :) )

17. Major

Major Member

I think a big part of it is that no one was complaining about the farm system or Hunsicker destroying it until the Astros tanked this year. It sounds a lot like a blame game. This offseason, the argument for trading for Jennings was that we needed a #2 SP and have plenty of guys in the farm that can replace Hirsh and Willy T, for example. No one talked about this as a looming crisis until Purpura started getting crap for this season.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Tampa Bay in the World Series!!!!!!!

Oh...wait.

19. RedRaiderRocket

People are pissed because they traded Garnett but int the process, they had to do this deal. KG was not going to win them nothing, and more than likely was going to opt out of his deal next season. So they got a future star in Al Jefferson, as well Gerald Green who could be a star still hold my doubts, 2 1st round picks, and salary cap relief next season. As bad as of a GM Isiah least he isn't afraid to make moves to "try" and improve his team. He has know idea how to run a salary cap though. Pupura goes by lets just stumble our way and see what happens. The only deal he has made he has got raped on by trading Willy T, and potential prospects in Bucholz and Hirsh for Jennings. If he couldn't find a team that was willling to get equal value or better value move on. I stand pat that he is the worst GM in all of sports, the GM for the Lions could be a close 2nd.

20. htownhustla

htownhustla Member

does anyone know what channel on tv it going to be on