1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports text sims: Do you play them?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JeffB, Dec 27, 2012.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the longest time, I have been a major sports text sim fan. I get a big kick out of games like Front Office Football and Football Manager. I actually enjoy these games more than the full-on 3D experience of games like Madden (2K series excepted).

Even with the 3D games, I spend most of my time simming the action and just focusing on the team building and strategy. I hardly ever twke the controls and run the show. For me it boils down to focusing on team building and coaching strategy over physics and button mashing. But, I know text-sim is not everyone's cup of tea.

How many folks here still play text sims and what are/have been your favorite games?

2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I'm like you: in 2k I'm all about team building. I try not to tweak any of the settings, and usually really enjoy it despite some players that shouldn't be that great becoming superstars by year 3 or 4. Is there anything basketball wise that is a text sim?

I used to enjoy playing madden for the team building aspect, but this year they changed the format and made it extremely difficult to sim through stuff and the interface for things like trading or signing free agents was just a pain in the ass so I ended up trading it back in after a few weeks.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I've played football manager before. I tried taking a team from the lowest lowest division to the epl.

Didn't work out so good.

4. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Most of my gaming consists of sports text sims as well. Football Manager is the concensus gold standard, but I'm a baseball guy and not much of a soccer fan, so my favorite game by far is OOTP Baseball. I also enjoy Fast Break Basketball - I primarily play the college version (FBCB 2010), but the developer also offers a good pro game and is currently working on a new version.

There is not an equally engulfing football sim on the market today, IMO. Front Office Football is the best out there, but it's not been updated in 5 years, and virtually the same thing can be said about Bowl Bound College Football from Grey Dog Software.

Wolverine Studios specializes in sports text sims and offers a fun golf game, solid pro & college basketball sims, and a decent baseball alternative to OOTP in PureSim.

There are also some unique text sims offered, such as a pro wrestling game (TEW) from Grey Dog and a music management sim (Music Wars) from Wolverine.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did anyone ever play the sim war game "Global Thermonuclear War." I think it might have only come out on the Mac.

The game was fun to play the first time, but then you realized that there was no way to really win unless you were a p***y, and wanted to make peace all the time.

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, but I hear EA might remake it chock full of glitz and special effects but completely lacking substance. ;)

Anyway, even though these types of games are dated from the special effects angle, I still get down with the occasional sim just because button mashing doesn't engage me. I like drafting, signing, and trading, along with the coaching aspects. I just have little interest in stick jockeying season after season of gameplay.

7. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OOTP! Somebody get a clutchfans OOTP league started again, please. I'll take the Brewers back to the World Series!

1 person likes this.
  8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I thought ea had a good idea with head coach but it could have been better.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Ahhh yes, the legend of Pedro loya.

11. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Please!!!!

12. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

This!

13. lean

lean Member

I'm a fan of text games and have played most of the one's mentioned in this thread. Another game you might want you check out if you're into mma: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/wmma3/

ps I would also probably join a clutchfans ootp league.

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I'm really into FBB and have been in plenty of sim leagues for the past couple of years.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Fatty Bad b*stard??? :confused:

16. mikennite

mikennite Member

I do the same, the thing I don't like about the association mode in 2K is that the players grow to allstars too fast.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I play OOTP and used to play FOF back when it came out.

18. mikennite

mikennite Member

Oops, didn't mean to repeat you, just noticed after I posted.

19. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DoD, you should commish a clutchfans ootp league.

I can throw down for website support like ol' deano did back in the day.

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

:confused: :eek: :p

This must have been

a) Before I started playing
    b) You must have not played long (or at least you weren't playing the OOTP that the other clutchfanners were playing)

But I would love to get back into playing OOTP - it was cool to be playing in 2020 something with guys that were pretty made up by the computer. I can't remember most of their names although I do remember Chris Snelling (he was a real guy) being a 14 in hits.