1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Radio] Jim Rome no longer aired in "H-Town"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kam, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I have a friend who works at 610 and I always tell him about everyone here constantly complaining about all the on-air personalities and his response is always something to the effect of "well, they must be listening because our ratings are through the roof and that's all we care about."

That's pretty much talk radio in a nutshell.

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Was it Ken Silverstein? I know who you're talking about...just can't place the name (unless it was KS).

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This Arnie Spanier? He's on the air up in Dallas on 105.3 the Fan from 10pm - 1am.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I suspect that, for whatever reason, the sample of people's opinion on this BBS of the various sports talk stations is far removed from the average radio listener. Not sure why, but it seems to be the case.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Rome clowning on Houston as I write this

6. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

What's he saying

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Probably just reading the records of our sports teams leaving off precious few years. :(

8. Nice Rollin

Clowning on sr610. Not really Houston

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

It would be ironic if 1560 picked it up. Doubt that would happen.

790 is a clearchannel station and premier is part of clearchannel I believe so that makes sense. But that's not happening either.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Forreal
    Put Rome on . .. to take the place of the show that was beating him
    no going to happen

Rocket River

11. Nice Rollin

He got a text telling him about what the local guys were talking about on 610 and said:"i dont know the guys who took my spot, but if their opening is about whether the roof will be open at reliant, thats gonna be a long show" then he start goin off with other subject matters they would talk about like how did it feel when you met your 1st big time athlete" or "who's the best team of all time. You know? Stupid topics shows come up with on slow news days

He's been pumping up how the clones need to make it known that we are pissed about losing the show in HOU and how important of a market it is to him.

it was funny as hell

#111 Nice Rollin, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  12. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Sigh. :confused:

610 is the station that gets the lions share of my drive home listening time, but this is an awful reshuffling of the station's lineup. It's one of those horrible decisions that will likely end with someone saying "What the hell were we thinking making those moves?!?"

This will almost certainly be a massive backfire in the ratings arena. The official line is the Rome has had "declining ratings" over the past year .... that decline will be nothing compared to the ratings implosion that's in the offing.

Nothing against Meltzer and Davies (both of whom I like personally), but neither of them has the compelling personality, voice or charisma to make their show "destination radio". Jim Rome does. Meltzer and Davies are both second bananas, but you can't slap two second bananas into one show and expect lots of people to listen. I'm sorry to say that 610 has big ratings loss in that timeslot looming.

Plus, this has the even worse (for me) side effect of reducing Josh and Rich's show in drive time in favor of the boring, chemistry-deficient Odd Couple show, which is utterly unlistenable. I get off work at 5:30 and often don't get out of the office until 6:00 or later. I really like Rich Lord, and have been a loyal listener of his for many years, through many co-hosts. In fact, I like Rich so much that I willingly put up with the inane rantings of his juvenile, narcissistic, motormouth "partner".

But now that they go off the air within 15 minutes of my departure, I'm just going to listen to the Charlie Palillo and/or ESPN 97.5 shows much more. I have an hour commute, so switching back and forth between those two shows will take care of my sports radio fix in the evenings.

This is a completely boneheaded move from top to bottom. :mad:

[ shakes head sadly ]

13. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I first heard of Rome starting around 2002 but never been a fan nor a consistent listener, to this day I still don't understand the sayings on this show so can someone please give me a short history of the rome show and why he says stuff like

- "war this, war that"
    - why he calls his listeners clones?

14. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I'd imagine Rome actually does feel bad about the situation. He's always seemed to rep Houston and give the area respect. He really talked up the city when he made that sorta tour stop recently.

15. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Partial Jim Rome Jungle Glossary

16. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

off ESPN now too.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/201...taking-his-tv-show-to-the-cbs-sports-network/

Jim Rome’s ESPN Contract is Up, and He’s Taking His TV Show to the CBS Sports Network [UPDATE]

ESPN, Media Gossip/Musings Jason McIntyre January 6th. 2012, 1:56pm

Sources tell me that ESPN has decided not to renew the TV contract of “Jim Rome is Burning,” and the show will be ending its 8-year run (there was a brief hiatus in 2004) at the Worldwide Leader this month.

[UPDATE: An ESPN source writes in to say that Rome declined a multi-year offer to return to the network, but he did not accept it.]

But the show will go on. Just on a different network. Two sources say that “Jim Rome is Burning” will move over to the burgeoning CBS Sports Network. Both sources claim Rome will have an expanded role at the network beyond the show. What that role is remains unclear. I emailed Rome this morning, but he declined to comment.

I didn’t even go to CBS for comment because they’re unhappy I broke the Jon Heyman news last month. They won’t confirm anything to me. Apparently, CBS has a big Jim Rome announcement planned in the near future.

Some media observers believe ESPN has jerked around “Jim Rome is Burning” over the last year. It has shifted timeslots and channels in the last 6-12 months, and hasn’t been nearly as heavily promoted as the network’s new shows, “Numbers Never Lie” and “Dan LeBatard is Highly Questionable.”

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

ESPN and Rome was always a weird fit. Really weird.

18. da1

da1 Member

1 on 1 sports was amazing.

19. da1

da1 Member

Bruce and Bob, Arnie, Papa Joe. 1 on 1 sports was great, the hosts were funny and the callers were hilarious.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

True, but Fox Sports Net, at least back when he had that Last Word show with that Wallace guy, was bloody awful.