1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports 790

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Dec 10, 2004.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

But Milo is so bad he's good. He provides great comic relief.

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

Exactly.

3. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

No 610/the Texans are crazy for keeping him.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Member

Ugh... i guess i'll have to listen to the 610 afternoon show today. It beats listening to 3 hours of nothing from Carl and Ted.

5. Faos

Faos Member

Oh, that's right...Palilo is in court today.

Someone post a ruling if they hear about it.

6. Chance

Chance Member

Roger Wilco.

7. Chance

Chance Member

Do you honestly feel this way? Vandy calls a great game. He is good with down and distance, consistant with score updates, projects emotions through the speakers, mixes in John and Andre...what is your hang up?

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'll be the first to say that I don't think Marc is very good on his show, but I think he calls an awesome game.

9. Another Brother

Agreed.

I don't know what some people are listening to, or what they expect.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

I'll agree with that. Vandermeer calls an excellent game, he paints a good picture with his calls and brings emotion. His TD call is a little too "slama-lama-ding-dong" for me, but I think he does a first rate job otherwise.

I don't think he's a very good sports talk radio personality, because I don't think he's made alot of effort to learn the other sports in town (or he doesn't convey alot of Rockets/Astros savvy, anyway). I do think he's gotten better at the job than when he started.

11. Fatty FatBastard

To be fair:

The "Rock and Roll" is contrived and silly. The WORST part of the schtick was when he did the inaugural game and kept going "Rock and Roll!", only to find out they hadn't scored. Did it twice mistakenly before their first touchdown. Silly and stupid. It needs to go away.

Also, he isn't from here. I like people who at least grew up in this city. We couldn't find anyone from our pop. of 4 million? We had to get a "floater" announcer? Stupid.

To be unfair:

His name sounds like the geek on Dawson's creek.
    He's 100lbs. soaking wet.
    He spells his name with a frickin' C. Hi! My name's Marc!
    He uses r****ded noises on his radio program.

12. Chance

Chance Member

Used gay noises. He was a solo show in a new market. He needed schtick.

His mommy opted for the avante garde spelling of Mark.

He's 180 and ripped.

No argument on the Dawson's Creek.

And "Rock N roll" came with the package. He has been doing it since calling home runs and slam dunks in UMass. He is a Rock music jinkie. From Beatles to Nirvana and everything in between (albeit mostly 70's crap) he is a Rock and Roll slave. He loves it and likes the phrase. Judging by the "Rock and Roll" signs at Reliant it has caught on with the non-cc.net bbs'ers.

Now. I feel like an apologist. I happen to like his call and his show. I think that when people get hear hm for four hours they will dig him as well. He is an amazing guy, very freaking cool, and I am proud to have him on board. Hot wife too but that played no part in my vote.

13. Dubious

Dubious Member

If you want to make good choices on any subject just go the opposite way from FFB.

14. Fatty FatBastard

Honestly, Chance, we do it all in good fun, but my friends and I just love railing on this guy!

I'll not debate anything on here except the 180 and ripped thing. How tall is he, then? 6'5?

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Vandemeer just seems like such a "yes-man" He reminds me of those guys that order the water in the Sam Adams commercials.

16. Chance

Chance Member

6'2 or 3

I know. He's an easy target ;)

17. Kam

Kam Member

the 790 afternoon show was talking mad **** about 610.

18. Faos

Faos Member

What happened with Palilo's court case today???

19. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

What was Palilo in court for?

20. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

Eh, I've been flipping back and forth, but other than Charlie's show, I'm just not all that impressed with 790. At least during the times when 610 has local programming versus national stuff on 790. I'm glad to see competition, but I am kind of disappointed that some of 610's talent has left, and would continue to leave, and thus you end up with two average stations when you could've had one GREAT station (as 610 was). But either way, I am glad to have an alternative when 610 is talking recruiting or something boring like that.

I also really like Vandermeer's commentary and play-by-play. He's really good. Still don't really care for his show that much, but he grows on you. I think he's not really strong with a partner though -- he's better solo.