1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports 790

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Dec 10, 2004.

1. drapg

drapg Member

CP just interviewed Kiper Jr.!!!!

AWESOME!!

Not even 24 hours and I'm already in love with the new station.

No more forced Rome in my life! YIPPEE!!!

2. Faos

Faos Member

It'll be interesting to see if they keep up the mega interviews. They've had forever to book this show and probably for this week.

I just hope they stay away from the lame recruiting and point spread talk.

3. Nick

Nick Member

They're not going to have guys like Mel Kiper Jr. every week... I'm pretty sure ESPN radio rolls out the 'top' guests for all the new affiliates, and then the station gets some more big names like McNair and McLane to fill in the gaps on the local side.

One thing that I never noticed much was how good of an interviewer Charlie was... I do recall him interviewing some players on the countdown to kickoff, but I never thought at all about it because these guys were just giving blah answers... but he did a great job with Golic, Kiper, and McLane.

I was still switching to 610 when they were talking stuff that I couldn't care less about (I actually have to atone for my previous UH basketball post... I did switch about halfway thru the Penders interview)... but then Vandemeer and Rich were making fun of the Yankees getting Chi Chi Rodriguez to influence Beltran... and Mark was asking for Houston's well-known Puerto Ricans to go to bat for us... and I just thought that sounded weird, so I switched back.

4. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

He is the worst pro play by play guy in the history of this town.

5. Chance

Chance Member

You are crazy.

6. drapg

drapg Member

I'm sure they're bringing out the big names for the opening few weeks only...

But its nice to have a change of pace. No more Tom Tyman or whatever the hell his name is. No fishing show!

All sports all the time! I'm in heaven.

7. drapg

drapg Member

Something about his voice that rubs me the wrong way. Plus he lacks personality. I thought being teamed up with Rich would help, but it hasn't. He just lacks that special something that makes a good radio personality. I can't really put my finger on it. He's just missing something.

8. jlaw718

jlaw718 Member

Competition is always healthy. Whether or not Charlie et al. is your cup of tea, the fact that another sports station is in our market only helps us -- the consumer.

Zero competition usually means eventually resting on one's laurels, whether it be conscious or subconscious. Think back to when we had two papers. Maybe we never read the Post, but at least it was there to present an alternative in case the Chronicle became journalistically lethargic. You get the idea.

I absolutely love Palilo. Of course, that being said, I love listening to 610 also.

I guess I'm a flipper by nature so they'll both be getting some of my listening time.

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think Vandemeer is awesome as a play-by-play guy, and very good as a talk show host.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I love Kiper. He's the guy that just couldn't believe the Colts were dumb enough to take the "undersized" Dwight Freeney so early in the draft. Nice job, Mel...

That honor would go to Milo. Not even close.

I'm not really a fan of Vandee either. The "rock-n-roll touchdown" is AWFUL. Talk about contrived. I really like Ware as a color guy though. He's great. Bring back Tom Franklin. Franklin and Ware would be perfect.

You could even throw in Bum with his patented "YUP" for effect.

11. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

You can't be serious, the guy is a legend. He has fallen recently do to age, but i still enjoy listening to him.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Milo was a legend. I thought everybody pretty much agreed he's awful. I have no idea what's going on in the game when he's calling it.

13. pasox2

pasox2 Member
    Supporting Member

Matt Jackson :

[​IMG]

Charlie :

[​IMG]

14. edc

edc Member

(1) The "Outdoor Show" will be moving to KBME weekends.

(2) Clear Channel is notorious for selling time to radio infomercials. Mark my words, some Friday overnight or Sunday afternoon (not during the football season), you will tune in and find the "Amazing Discoveries" guy selling you Glucosamine Chondroitin or horny goat weed

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Mmm, horny goat weed.

16. Faos

Faos Member

I happen to like Tom Tynan.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Horny goat weed pwns.

18. rocketabc

rocketabc Member

Dude, do you even LISTEN to Vandermeer?!?!?

He's actually better than a lot of play-by-play guys because of his laid-back approach. Not everything is so serious, and he and Andre make the game fun to listen to.

This is a position that could have been filled by RUSS FREAKING SMALL. So thank your lucky stars that the Texans picked a guy as good as Marc to do the gig.

Check yourself, man.

19. Fatty FatBastard

Whatever, Pacey...

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

Ditto
    The guy knows his stuff and its intresting to listen to his show for a little while.