1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sporting News] Yao and McGrady on "All-Call Team"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sabonis, Mar 14, 2005.

1. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

Maybe McGrady, but Yao??

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=theallcallteam&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Stuart

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nonsense. Why would other NBA players & coaches not know that Yao Ming is the subject of a league-wide anti-Yao conspiracy from the officials and never commits fouls or gets calls despite the numbers which say otherwise? We KNOW this. As Rockets fans, it is our job to know.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

How Ironic, Steve Francis is on the "Do-Not Call Team".

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

2004-05 Regular Season Free-Throw Attempts
    Player PCT FTM FTA
    1. Shaquille O'Neal (Miami Heat)
    .470 301 640
    2. Amare Stoudemire (Phoenix Suns)
    .728 449 617
    3. Allen Iverson (Philadelphia 76ers)
    .832 501 602
    4. Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat)
    .765 448 586
    5. Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas Mavericks)
    .858 471 549
    6. Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers)
    .824 435 528
    7. Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics)
    .818 427 522
    8. Corey Maggette (Los Angeles Clippers)
    .864 431 499
    9. Steve Francis (Orlando Magic)
    .829 407 491
    10. Gilbert Arenas (Washington Wizards)
    .811 385 475
    11. LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)
    .752 322 428
    12. Tracy McGrady (Houston Rockets)
    .765 323 422
    13. Kevin Garnett (Minnesota Timberwolves)
    .800 337 421
    14. Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs)
    .664 279 420
    15. Chris Bosh (Toronto Raptors)
    .737 309 419
    16. Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Cleveland Cavaliers)
    .809 335 414
    17. Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets)
    .791 317 401
    18. Stephon Marbury (New York Knicks)
    .828 331 400
    19. Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers)
    .762 285 374
    19. Desmond Mason (Milwaukee Bucks)
    .805 301 374
    21. Yao Ming (Houston Rockets)
    .774 287 371
    22. Jermaine O'Neal (Indiana Pacers)
    .755 278 368

Even Big Z gets more calls than Yao.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Bad joke, what I meant to say is that Yao is on the do not call team, in that fouls are not called against him, and SF is on the Do-Not call team in that you can't count on him, resume play......................... now.

6. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

Well, they were picked based upon position

7. SamFisher

http://www.nba.com/statistics/2004/...rs/LeagueLeadersFTA8Query.html?topic=1&stat=8

He's 14th in the league in FTA/48 minutes.

That's more than Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady and LeBron James, as well as Zach Randolph and Elton Brand

And don't tell me he plays a more physical game than Garnett, Brand or Randolph.

Meanwhile, he's 39th in the league in FGA/48 minutes.

So he is shooting less than these guys yet going to the line more.

Yeah, he gets no respect. :rolleyes:

The myth of the Grand Anti-Yao conspiracy is getting exploded in another thread so I'm not going to bother with it. here.

8. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

I've caught a lot of games (NBA LP), and I seldom ever see or even recall McGrady talking to a ref. What he does do when he doesn't get a call is stare down the ref for a few seconds or get pissed off for a few secs. This year, I don't recall ever seeing him in a long conversation with a ref or working over a ref. What a bunch of crock!

9. sabonis

I should have been a little more explicit about it... yes, Yao goes to the line a lot, but I guess I was more taking the other side of it... which is the previously-mentioned-in-this-thread "No-Call Team" Which means that, although he still gets to the line a lot, it seems as if he should definitely be there a lot more (doesn't always get the calls that he should)

I think thats where the "outrage" is coming from...

Stuart

10. Kenrui

Kenrui Contributing Member

11. choujie

choujie Member

Yao gets a lot foul calls even though he should get more.

I can think of a few reasons that his FT attempts are not as much as it should be:

1. Minutes. His per 48 minutes foul shooting is not low, but he can't stay on the floor long enough due to himself getting into foul trouble on the other end of the floor.

2. Touches, yao is still not getting enough touches, especially when Rockets have a big lead. Nowadays only in those close games when other players can hit outside shots, Yao's touches and shot attempts go up.

3. Yao's shooting. When Yao is making his turn around jumpers, he tends to keep shooting that way, when he has trouble with the outside shooting, he starts to attack the rim more.

4. Yao often gets fouled in the paint before he takes the shot when he has the ball.

5. Refs missed some calls on Yao, especially when Yao went up for dunks.

12. Toast

Toast Member

I'm definitely with you on the touches.

Sacramento was a perfect example of a game Yao really shoulda been more of a factor.

Yeah, I know, our perimeter guys were shooting LIGHT OUT. BUT, consider Yao got Brian Skinner into QUICK foul trouble. They put Goon Ostertag in there. Next thing you know, Yao's on the bench.

I swear, Sacramento MINUS Brad Miller and WITHOUT Chris Webber is EXACTLY the situation where I think you'd WANT to go down low to the big man.

13. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

These stats maybe true if the refs stop fouling him out. Right now the refs are leting other teams hacking Yao downlow and calling ticky tacky fouls on the other end on him.

14. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Regardless of total freethrow attempts or attempts per 48 minutes, I think Yao leads the league in the number of times he clearly gets hacked on the arm right in front of the ref without a call. This phenomenon is probably what sticks in our minds when we think about getting calls.

Just yesterday, I think it was Bibby who nailed Yao right on the arm (not even close to the ball) when he was in the process of taking an easy shot. Then, Yao got hit in the face. Refs somehow don't call it, and the Kings are fastbreaking the other way.

15. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Urgh, stats, I love them. If Earl Boykins doesn't go to the line often, it doesn't mean he get's no call. If Shaq goes to the line all the time, it doesn't mean he gets all the calls. Defence is different for different type of players.

At least compare him to Zydrunas Ilgauskas or something, which IS more comparable.

16. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I think the hot shooting, combined with preserving Yao for tonight's and Wednesday night's games are why Yao wasn't involved more. This is a tough stretch and the Rockets are playing with the house's money if they can win games without the big fella exerting himself too much.

17. SamFisher

Fine, Yao shoots 9.2 FT/48 on 12.6 shots a game , Zydrunas shoots 9.8 FT/48 on 13.1 shots per game.

This huge difference irrevocably proves that Yao gets no respect from the officials whatsoever and the Grand Anti Yao conspiracy theorists should have a real field day....:rolleyes:

18. sabonis

Sam, I think you are reading this all wrong.

You seem like you are out to prove some "Grand Anti Yao Conspiracy" exists than actually listening to the arguments being presented.

Stuart

19. SamFisher

You guys are the ones who don't quite get what I'm saying. I am AGREEING with the argument that Yao suffers through no-calls, etc.

However I am DISAGREEING that Yao suffers this to a degree that other players don't. Most objective evidence semingly indicates that he is treated in a very similar manner to his peers overall.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The refereeing complaints about Yao, at least in my mind, are generally not FT attempt related. They are loose ball foul type calls that cause him to foul out.

Also, if you don't think Yao plays one of the most physical games in the NBA then you're not watching. Certainly more-so than KG and Zach Randolph. These are players who really on athleticism, not size. Not as physical as a Danny Fortson or Shaq, but just watch the pounding Yao takes, and dishes, on a game by game basis.