1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News: new generation of big men for the mantle of NBA's best center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tracymingreedy, Dec 12, 2006.

1. tracymingreedy

tracymingreedy Contributing Member

The two people in the NBA who probably are least caught up in comparing Shaquille O'Neal and Yao Ming are Shaquille O'Neal and Yao Ming. But the pair has been compared since Yao entered the league, at a time when it looked as though the heyday of the modern center was fading. Yao says there is no comparison: "He is still the best, no question." Shaq says he has other things to worry about: "It does not motivate me."

No matter. Shaq is 34 and hurting, which means it won't be long before Yao is battling a new generation of big men for the mantle of NBA's best center.
    1. Dwight Howard, Magic.
    Howard will turn 21 on Friday, a frightening prospect for the rest of the league. Howard already is averaging 17.2 points and 13.7 rebounds. He needs to hone his post moves but has a developed body and is fast becoming a dominant force.
    2. Greg Oden, Ohio State.
    He's the surefire No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft. Heck, he would have been the No. 1 pick in the past two drafts if it weren't against the rules. He's a tremendous athlete who can block shots, rebound and run the floor. League personnel people figure his potential ranges from perennial All-Star to Hall of Famer.
    3. Andris Biedrins, Warriors.
    Unchained from the Golden State bench at 20 years old, Biedrins is a 7-footer who rebounds and finishes around the rim with raw power. He is averaging 11.4 points and 9.9 rebounds and is shooting 65.1 percent from the field. That's mostly because he relies on the dunk as his chief weapon. When he learns to make hook shots and gains some semblance of a jumper, he will be an All-Star.
    4. Andrew Bynum, Lakers.
    Bynum's progress has come only in flashes -- 20 points and 14 rebounds against the Timberwolves; 12 points, 13 rebounds and four blocks against the Bulls -- but those flashes have Lakers fans salivating. At 19, it may be three years or more before Bynum approaches Yao's level, but the physical tools are there.
    -- Sean Deveney

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=157047

What do you think about these green hens? Do you think they are capable to chanllenge Yao?

I don't knwo the Greg Oden guy.Is he good?

2. jdrock

jdrock Member

If you are only considering true centers, Howard and Oden are probably the only two individuals that will challenge Yao.

Unless Howard develops a nice array of post moves, I don't think he will ever seriously challenge Yao. Oden has the potential to do so but he's still raw.

But to be honest, who cares who the best "center" is? The blur between power forward and center is so wide now that all that matters is who the best big man is. And then you start including the likes of Amare, Duncan, Dirk, KG, etc., and it becomes a tough debate.

And to answer your question - yes, Oden is that good.

3. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Well, I would go head and say that Yao is the best post player in the game. I don't think anyone in the league will touch him for a long time.

Think about it, KG, Duncan, Dirk are highly rated because of versitility (face up drive, outside shooting) but those aren't post moves. Amare, Howard, Oden for speed/power at the position (dunks, fast breaks) but aren't known for their post moves either.

Brand and Duncan are probably the best 2nds for ability in the post.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

bynum has been developing very well i think by the end of next season he can easily be in the conversion as one of the league up and coming stars. the only problem is that i think the more bynum progresses the more likely odom will be moved.

oden has been a beast the guy is so long and athletic i caught some of the osu game and he simply dwarfed the competition. i can easily see him coming in and averaging a double double off the bat his rookie year. the biggest issue with him will be his FT which he needs to improve big time

5. choujie

choujie Member

NY fans will be pissed.

6. stangend77

stangend77 Member

BOUT TIME YAO GOT SOME RESPECT!!!!! :D

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I definitely see Howard challenging Yao eventually, even without developing much finesse on offense. If Howard ever develops nifty moves and a shooting touch, he will be awesome. I don't think he will.

Bynum has shown only flashes. He still has a lot to prove since it's only his 2nd season. I haven't seen enough of Oden and Biedrins.

8. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Steve Kerr: WTF? Where is my boy Chris Kaman?!

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Oden is on this list and he hasn't step foot on an NBA court? Nice. :confused:

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Greg Oden seems to be a mature kid, and he definately has the body and talent to be really really good.

As to if he should be on this list.. let him at least get here before counting him as a challenger.

He's the starting center for Ohio State. (likely a one and out)

11. crooklyn3

crooklyn3 Member

Oden can only dunk. He won't dominate at the NBA level the way he does now.

12. jdrock

jdrock Member

Not sure if this is a joke or not, but Kaman is nowhere near the level of Yao. He gets schooled every time.

Bynum may become a decent player, but I doubt he is ever seriously considered among the top big men.

13. sbyang

sbyang Member

Greg Oden will be the next great challenger to Yao Ming. They're going to have some great battles in their career, especially if Oden goes to Memphis.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

LMAO where's curry, dampier, and kaman?

only idiots put those 3 in the talk of best centers. kerr and curry need thier heads checked.

15. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

steve kerr is a joke...

16. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Eric Dampier-"Hey this guy mispelled my name, its E-r-i-c, not Y-A-O. I'm sure its just a typo, since I am the second most dominating center in the league"

17. tracymingreedy

Comments posted by other ppl

"Amen. I especially enjoy the silence from all of those "experts" who questioned Yao's supposed lack of aggression and competiveness. Controlled and effective has always worked for Timmy.
    "

"On a related note, Eric Dampier has just proclaimed himself to be the best center in the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area."

:eek: :)

18. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

I've seen some highlight of Oden. That guy is a pure beast, 7 footer and can jump as high as Amare. He is like a young Shaq and even faster. Yao is going to have a tough time defending him.

Looking forward to seeing the titan clashes.

19. tracymingreedy

WOW :eek: I don't know he is that good. I should check out some of his game in college BB.

20. crooklyn3

crooklyn3 Member

Not that good. Just a dunker. His size allows him to dominate but there are bigger guys in the NBA.