1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sporting News] Morey eager to bolster Houston’s power forward spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Millsap has improved his already considerable value. He's an All Star now, having a terrific season. Really, I'll be surprised if Atlanta deals him, considering that he's one of the best value contracts in the league at $9.5 million this season and next, when he'd be a great chip on an expiring contract at next year's deadline for Atlanta (and is now, so yes, they'll expect a lot), or anyone else who obtained him. I agree that it's a lot to give up, at least in my opinion, but if Morey really wants to move Asik (and we don't know that for sure), and is going all out to win this season and next, Millsap is an obvious target (in my opinion).

Of course, we've hashed and rehashed Millsap possibilities pretty much all year, it seems like. :)-

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

One thing to keep in mind is a quote from Morey himself: "You don't want other teams to think you're fixated on one particular goal or player."

I think the "we're trading Asik" "we're not trading Asik" "we're looking for a 3&D swingman" "we're looking for a PF" stuff is either media fodder or intentional white noise. One or all of them could be true, but regardless, it's better for us if we aren't pigeonholed into only one desired outcome.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Not being fixated on a particular player or goal doesn't mean you won't pursue certain type of deals though.
    The Rockets very well have talked a boatload of PF trades and they may very much be interested in upgrading that spot. They probably just aren't willing to go all-out to make it happen and look at/consider other ways to improve the team as well.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

I get where you are coming from. Still, is Millsap that much better than Thad Young or Bass that you'd be willing to throw in TJones and a 1st for him?

Putting my conspiracy hat on......I've always wondered why Millsap took that 2 year deal. I'd be shocked if there wasn't somebody out there offering 3 or 4 years at a similar salary. Not saying I understand the motivations of it....just that it's interesting. Also, Morey "followed" Millsap the day before the self imposed "Asik trade deadline".

If a trade for Millsap doesn't happen, it will be one of the most discussed transactions that never was.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yes. Millsap is better than Young and Bass. Young is decent. Millsap is really good. Bass is crap.

Bass + Howard has been tried already and it failed in Orlando. Also, Bass is an aquatic themed NBA player and these guys are cursed: John Salmons, Austin Rivers, Carlos Arroyo, Carlos Delfino, Aaron Brooks, Russell Westbrook have all suffered recent misfortunes.

1 person likes this.
  6. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Derick Fisher has been solid most of his career ;)

7. deshen

deshen Member

Did you see Love and Harden's performance in the all star game?

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

This article is either 2 months too late or 3 days too early.

9. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

10. makio9

makio9 Member

Articles do nothing but talk crap for two reasons:
    1. Create original content which ranks better.
    2. Write longer articles which ranks better.

He just made this up because "it's probably true."

11. Lovemachine2000

Atlanta might be asking for this much, but Morey is no fool. Frankly Millsap is hardly an improvement considering their progression, salary, etc. Giving Asik AND Jones - never mind a pick - would be extremely foolish.

12. makio9

makio9 Member

Fittingly, it's at the end of the article to fill in space.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Terrence Jones is playing better than expected but still hasn't peaked. Trade him? No. That's not Morey style.

1 person likes this.
  14. TheEarthBlues

TheEarthBlues Member

Agreed.

15. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If it ain't broke........

17. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

We have to hold on to Terrence Jones, why trade for an older version of someone we already have but with more upside/size?

18. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

According to Tom Haberstroh, Morey should also be eager to bolster Portland's center spot.

19. Clarinetmonster

awesome.

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You're right, lets trade for Blake Griffin.