1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News: Astros turned down trade for Javier Vazquez...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Dec 19, 2005.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=insidedi****paystobeburn&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Inside Dish: It pays to be Burnett's agent

By Dan Pompei - SportingNews

After signing a five-year, $55 million contract with the Blue Jays, RHP A.J. Burnett thanked his agent, Darek Braunecker, by giving him a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon--fully loaded. Sticker price: nearly $40,000.

The Tigers tried to acquire Devil Rays closer RHP Danys Baez before signing free-agent RHP Todd Jones. The Rays asked for a top prospect--RHP Joel Zumaya or CF Curtis Granderson--and a pitching prospect. No deal.

Before sending RHP Javier Vazquez to the White Sox, the Diamondbacks offered Vazquez and RHP Jose Valverde to the Astros for RHP Brad Lidge, the closer, and 2B/OF Chris Burke. The Astros balked.

The A's defense, which already was very good, could get better with the addition of OF Milton Bradley. Each of the team's starting outfielders--Bradley, Mark Kotsay and Jay Payton--is or was a center fielder. The A's led the majors last season in defensive efficiency, a statistic that measures the percentage of balls in play that are converted into outs.

It's difficult to get excited about the Twins' signing free-agent 3B Tony Batista, but at least the club is protected if Batista struggles in the spring. Batista's $1.25 million contract will become guaranteed only if he makes the opening day roster.

Royals 2B Mark Grudzielanek's unusual $3 million player option for 2007 will vest only if he has 500 plate appearances. Otherwise, Grudzielanek will join a free-agent class of second basemen next offseason that will include Craig Biggio, Ray Durham, Ron Belliard, Mark Loretta, Craig Counsell and Adam Kennedy.

2. mogrod

mogrod Member

Thank god!!

3. The Real Shady

For Brad Lidge and Chris Burke. :rolleyes:

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Way to go, ******.

5. The Real Shady

Actually that's not as bad as it first looked. I didn't notice Jose Valverde in the deal and he is a bad ass. Would be much cheaper than Lidge. Still I doubt I would do it.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Actually I thought Burke and Backe or something was supposed to bring Adam Dunn. Maybe some guys are being overvalued around here.

7. MykTek

MykTek Member

i would have went up to mmp and slapped puppura in person if he did that.

8. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

i bet purpura would have rejected the deal if it were only one of the two, burke or lidge, let alone both of them in the same deal...

9. superden

superden Member

TP is the best gm ever! :rolleyes:

ehhh, at least he knows when he is getting ripped off. thank goodness he didnt make that trade.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

What if you change out Bruntlett for Burke? I'd do the deal then. Vasquez is a talented pitcher, who if he can return to his old self, is a #2 starter caliber pitcher. Valverde can chunk and actually had a better whip than Lidge last year.

I wonder if Purpura even attempted to negotiate this? Doubtful.

11. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Chris Burke is what would hold you back from making that deal? In a deal like that, Burke is just a throw in. It really comes down to an elite uber closer for an expensive "not ready for primetime" Yankee reject starter and a closer who throws gas, but has only been "the guy" for less than half a season. I'd rather have Lidge. Burke and Bruntlett are both bench players on a championship team.

If you want to move Lidge, you better get a proven middle of the order RBI man. Guys like Lidge are hard to replace. Burke is just this year's Billy Hatcher. He is easily replaced. If the Orioles want us to throw in Burke along with Lidge for Tejada, you just do it w/out any hesitation.

12. yaopao

yaopao Member

Burke, while a decent player, doesn't scream POTENTIAL to me. I don't see him being anything more than .280, 10 HR, 60 RBI, and 15-20 SB. That is decent if he is going to be a 2B, but very crappy if he is a LF.

He is not the type of player who would force you to say no to a decent trade.

If we can add a 100-120 RBI hitter for Lidge, then I say pull the trigger.

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

Glad we didn't do that

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

That would have been a bad deal. Vasquez just isn't that good.

15. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Member

What's the deal with the TP hating lately? I cannot put my finger on it...is it because we didn't offer the Rocket arbitration? Or is it because he's a ******? :confused:

Edit: Note to self - Read the "Tim Purpura = terrible GM" thread :D

#15 ChenZhen, Dec 20, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2005