1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sport-y cars... auto or manual?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Acedude, Dec 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

I'm in the market for a sportier car than the Camry that I current have. I do not know how to drive a stick, other than the few times I tried to learn w/ my friend's car. While browsing through all the car forums, it seems that manual is the way to go, even with today's better auto transmission and DCT and everything, but I worry that eventually I might hate myself for getting a stick when I'm stuck on I-45 bumper to bumper traffic.

So, should I just tough it out and learn2shift, or get a slushbox and be happy? Anybody else here made a similar jump?

2. Defy9

Defy9 Member

Once you go manual you'll never want to go back...At least not until you're too old to care.

Learning to drive Manual is pretty easy too, when I first started driving manual I was heaps heaps nervous but I had the general gist of how to do it and about 2 days after trying I was completely confident.

With that said what kind of cars are you looking at? Imports? Domestics?

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

If you drive a lot of open road and like to drive then a stick is the way to go. If more than half your driving is stop and go then opt for the auto. I just switched back to an auto after driving mostly manuals in my life and I am glad I did it.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Since my first two cars, which were automatic, I've had a 5-speed 300ZX TT and a 6-speed Civic Si sedan, which is my current daily driver.

The moments I'm stuck in traffic are easily outweighed by the enjoyment I get from having total control over the car. I will never go back to automatic.

By the way, I would recommend my car to anyone looking for something sporty, but still inconspicuous and less expensive than a luxury coupe.

5. Acedude

How old were you when you picked up manual?

I have no idea what I'm looking at yet. It ranges from the Genesis Coupe to the Subaru WRX to a used 135i/335i. I'll be doing some test drives the next couple of weeks to narrow it down a bit and find out what I really want. Not a huge fan of the muscle car look, so that pretty much rules out the mustangs/camaros/challengers.

My daily commute isn't too bad, but I guess the traffic jams are the ones that stick out the most. Oh, also hills. I can just see myself stalling with car slowly rolling backwards and ramming into the car behind me :grin:

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you like to text and drive (not smart) you will hate a manual. If everyone drove a manual, the roads would be safer.

Dual Clutch systems perform better. Autos last longer (if they are similar quality). Manuals make you feel faster, also have some type of a + on your man card.

My next car might be manual just for the cost savings. checking the "Auto" box costs you 2K now :(

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If you get a car with power or more sporty as you say, the only way to go is manual. You really have total control of every aspect of the car.

Triptronic and all that stuff is just show for me and even though they are nice and very smooth, they will never be the same in the sense of how the car and driver become basically one with a Manual car.

I have had only 1 automatic car and that was when I had my 4Runner.

8. Defy9

Defy9 Member

Ahh awesome choices! I was 18 when I picked up driving manual. All I did was get in a manual car, somewhere where there was no traffic in a side street, found a slight incline, put the car in first gear and slowly let out the clutch so it would move forward, then I would push it back in and let it roll back and just repeat that, maybe not GREAT for the clutch but its how I picked it up. Just to get comfortable with the clutch.

As for your car slowly rolling backwards, if you're concerned just have the hand brake slightly up and drop it as soon as u can feel the car moving, then you won't roll back at all.

I can see why people dislike driving through the traffic jams with manual but honestly after you drive for a while it just becomes second nature and you forget about it. Driving through the hills however, especially if you're an enthusiastic driver it NEEDS to be manual. A lot more fun, more control and just a better experience.

Oh and you don't want people saying 'It's a nice car...Shame its an Auto' :p

1 person likes this.
  9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

A manual will give you total contol of your car. Seriously, I can shift, talk on the cell, and eat a burger if I wanted to. Shifting, it becomes second nature and you wont even have to think about it. A sports car just isnt sport if its an auto but that's just imho. Traffic jams could be a pain especially to your calves. Worse if you have a firm race/sport clutch. Holding your wife or gf hand while driving could be a problem as well lol. On the upside, its fun slamming through the gears and better gas mileage if you take it easy. Get whatever makes you happy and fits your lifestyle. You wont be dissapointed.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It sounds like you don't want to learn how to drive stick. Why do something you don't want to do? Just put your automatic into neutral at the lights and you'll have all the appearance of a manual.

All that stuff people worry about becomes reflex/instinct in no time anyways. But honestly I've never talked with someone that had to be persuaded to learn how to drive stick.

11. dmc89

dmc89 Member

DCT (dual clutch transmission) ftw!

It almost gives me the best of both worlds, and the MPG difference is negligible. Most importantly, stop and go traffic doesn't make my legs ache.

12. Acedude

Well, it's not that I don't want to learn. A car is a pretty big purchase, and it's something you'll be living with for a few years at least. You kinda have to figure out what you want before you sign your name on the dotted line.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

if you are looking for a car sportier than a camry the perfect car would be a 2010 jetta wolfsburg edition. It has the practicality of a cheaper sedan with decent gas mileage(24city/32hwy) and the aggressiveness of a German sports sedan. Its a turbo charged 4 cylinder engine. According to all reviews its a wonder to handle and if you do not want manual, it comes with a dsg transmission. For its price its entire build quality is amazing. Just look into it. Trust me, German engineering is amazing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CWlJYrEw8

14. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Oh my with those choices, an auto would not do you justice. :p Nothing like spooling those snails up and shifting while you hear that blow off. I had a Audi S4 bi turbo 6 speed and it was the funnest car to drive. You have a very nice list there! Good luck with your purchase.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There is no substitute for a manual transmission.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

you are right. Dual clutch is much better.

17. fchowd0311

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J7BdruEj4c&feature=related
    the guy had a horrible launch off the line and still managed 7 sec. With a good launch it go down to 6.5 sec which is really good for a four cylinder engine. But the thing that makes this car good its is great handling. Its not your typical camry.

18. fchowd0311

19. foo82

foo82 Member

I bought my first manual transmission car after having previously driven a manual only once. I did drive it home. Luckily, most of it was on the highway and I stalled twice at the red lights.

Anyways, never once did I think it was a pain in the ass. It's fun to drive, and you have more control over your car. Here's a minor tip to help you. If you don't have an empty lot to practice on. Just practice on the driveway. Switch reverse back out, then brake, neutral, then first and repeat. Just keep doing it and eventually you will know at what point to disengage the clutch.

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

If you're looking for a sportier car, you should definitely get manual. My first car was a manual (2003 Accord Coupe 5spd) and I learned to drive stick on it. Before I bought the car I had driven stick a few times in parking lots and knew the "mechanics" of it but unless you drive a manual every single day, you won't really know how to drive stick. Anyways I loved the car to death and driving stick was alot of fun. You really get the MOST out of your car if you know how to drive it right. Like others said, you really become ONE with the car, automatic just feels too detached. And since you're looking for a sporty car, this should be significant.

Driving in traffic isn't so bad.. I used to smoke a cig, eat fries, talk on the phone, drive stick at the same time. One time I HATED my car was when Hurricane Rita came and I drove to Dallas (took 28 hours). My left calf was literally twice the size of my right calf when I got to Dallas. That was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. But seriously, how often does something like that happen?? Good luck on your car search.