1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

*SPOILERS* The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Miguel, Jul 16, 2008.

Tags:
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He also had no way of knowing whether Reese was alive or not. So the obvious answer in that case was yes, he was going to blow it either way.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well I'm sure the media would do everything in their power to get word out if Reese was killed...and with today's technology it could be almost instantaneous.

But yeah he probably wouldn't give a s*** even if he did somehow know.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I took it that this was a point they were making across the entire movie, starting with the Scarecrow scene. Batman as he exists is a necessary evil (the Caesar reference), and not one that should be praised, accepted, or emulated.

The wannabe Batman gang saw one of its own get hung. That's why Batman did not want them showing up - they'd get in the way, do the wrong thing (gun use), and/or get themselves killed.

By re-casting himself as an outlaw villain, he helps make sure that he does not inspire others to follow in his footsteps.

Evan

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

155 mil opening weekend? Yeah, there will be another sequel as far as WB is concerned. As for Nolan and crew returning, that's up in the air. I could see him wanting to do another one if the studio doesn't rush things(like Paramount/Marvel is doing with Iron Man 2). Give him til 2011 and let him do something else in the meantime.

As far as Two-Face being the villain, I don't see how that would work. Even if they retcon it so he didn't die at the end of The Dark Knight(which is far-fetched but plausible), having him go bad would undermine the White Knight/Dark Knight ending.

I think The Riddler in a Se7en-type storyline would be great. It would play up the Batman-as-detective element of the comics. Plus it would allow Nolan to keep things dark and gritty. Catwoman is another possibility since the studio will demand a female presence in the film with Rachel now dead.

5. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Lmao, I nearly forgot about the pencil trick. That was dark comedy at it's finest :D

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm glad you said Se7en...it reminds me that I was thinking about the identity and backstory of Joker with relation to John Doe.

In Se7en, Morgan Freeman makes some comment that once they found the killer they'd be disappointed unless he was the devil, himself. And there's little to tell you about his backstory. He's just maniacal.

That reminded me of Joker. Had they told you who he was...and what he was the product of...it would have been meaningless. As was said in another thread...he was simply chaos, and his lies and mystery about his background only contributed to that.

7. JunkyardDwg

They signed on to do three movies; so I'm pretty sure you can expect one more.

8. lastmanstanding

So any word on who the batman will be? I mean he hung it up at the end. Will some horrible evil force him to suit up again? When some young gun take his place?

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

souds like Depp to me..

10. Hmm

Hmm Member

sounds*

11. garrinr

garrinr Member

Batman did not hang it up at the end he took the burden on himself because he can endure, in the next they will probably bring it around full cirlce and conclude it with him being the batman that a gotham can love and respect. hopefully through interaction with the riddler.

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Yes, I just saw something on Extra about it. He's on board. Early rumor is Phillip Seymore Hoffman as The Penguin.

13. garrinr

garrinr Member

not trying to be an ass but its been said a few times Nolan will not do the Penguin he said the he does not find the character to be realistic. Which has been a common theme in these movies, ie the least ammount of cgi possible.

14. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Did the pencil go in the eye or the ear?

Joker in the nurse's outfit freaked me out. Just creepy.

Amazing movie. Just absolutely well done.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why shouldn't a naive, stupid Superman be part of next one, like a Frank Miller Batman?

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think Christian Bale is signed to do three. Some of the other actors(Caine, Freeman, maybe Oldman) are as well. But Nolan I'm pretty sure has to be lured back. He was iffy on even doing a second movie. And Oldman might not be contracted for three movies because I remember reading somewhere that he wasn't sure about wanting to return for The Dark Knight.

And contracts mean squat in Hollywood. If Nolan doesn't return, rest assured Christian Bale will want out.

17. JunkyardDwg

Looks like you're right about that, Nolan isn't signed on for a third one; And I've read in a number of places that if Nolan doesn't return the rest of the cast won't...not surprising. But based on comments he's made about possible future villains and the tremendous critical and commercial success of this film, and considering Batman's arc still isn't complete, I'd be kind of shocked if he didn't return for another...just give us one more, that's all I ask, and then a fresh perspective (that still respects Nolan's vision) would be fine. But you can't leave us hanging!

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

It's in the Internet Rulebook.

19. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Question?

Did Batman choose to go to Harvey to save him or did Joker trick him into going to Harvey instead of Rachel? I thought as Batman left on his bike that he said he was going to Rachel but it was hard to hear with the background music at times. I was thinking he was tricked and in my head I thought "damn you joker you son of a b****!!!"

20. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Hmm, in a spoiler thread does this need a spoiler tag? (my response that is). Ahh well, here goes, lol.

Yeah, the Joker deliberately told Batman the wrong addresses for Harvey and Rachel with Rachel being where Harvey was and Harvey being where Batman thought Rachel was.