1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Splash] Astros announce they acquire Aubrey Huff

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 12, 2006.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'm... speechless. Timmy the Hutt got off his ass and did something. And to top it off, he actually did something good. Way to go, Heavy P!

If Lane is going to Round Rock to work on playing centerfield, Willy T's days in Houston are numbered. He's already been linked to trade talks with Seattle and Miami, right? Here's hoping that if he does get traded (although I'm not sure I want to trade him), he'll fetch some bullpen help in return.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

So are you saying that Lamb plays a better 3rd then Huff? Jeez, I hope not.

3. Buck Turgidson

Thoughts on the trade:

- Gar now has mucho flexibility in the lineup. Lamb at 1st/Huff at 3rd against RHP, Ensberg at 3rd/Huff in RF/Berkman at 1st against LHP;
    - Will be very interesting to see how Ensberg reacts to his quasi-platoon situation;
    - This trade keeps Mike Lamb as far away from 3rd base as possible, a good thing;
    - Great move on sending Lane down. He needs the ABs to retool his swing, and the Stros will need him at some point this season; w/ he & Ensberg struggling, there's zero RH pop in the middle of the order, makes them very succeptible to good LHP;
    - Getting Huff for a utility infielder & their 11th or so best pitching prospect is awesome, Hun must think that Talbot can be a MLB starter or that Zobrist can play MLB SS, the Stros think neither of these is the case;
    - From what I've read, Huff seems like the kind of guy that would fit in well in Houston - works hard, doesn't get the redass, good clubhouse guy - and it bodes well for him staying in Houston past this season;
    - Purp said that he's by no means done dealing; I'd expect veteran bullpen arm is at the top of his list & Wandy is a prime target to get dealt because...
    - Gar announced yesterday that Wandy is headed to the bullpen, no need for a 5th starter until the 22nd, and Backe will most likely be brought up then;
    - May this be the end of the annoying & ridiculous Tim Purpura smak.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It isn't ridiculous until he shuts us up. This was a nice start and I hope he builds on it.

Evan

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Excellent News! Assuming Huff is better defensively than Lamb at 3B, I'd like to see this lineup for the next couple weeks ...

2B Biggio
    1B Lamb
    RF Berkman
    LF Wilson
    3B Huff
    CF Burke
    SS Everett
    C Ausmus

I think Morgan seriously needs several weeks off to let his shoulder/mind recover from whatever the real problem is. We know this guy can hit better than he has for the past couple months. Something is wrong whether Mo wants to admit it or not. I also love the fact that the team finally sent Lane down to the minors. I think he is a great guy, but it absolutely had to be done. I'd still like to see Luke Scott get an opportunity again this season.

6. binhie

binhie Member

That's funny, my wife's old boss said she had a boyfriend on the DRays but wouldn't tell the name. Wonder if it's him...

7. Buck Turgidson

Luke Scott has no role on this team now, other than trade bait.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No kidding.

I don't understand this mindset that he wasn't trying to do something all along to help this team. It's not like other teams are lining up to give us their best players. Trades have to work for both teams, not just the team you happen to pull for.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

LOVE IT

it's funny, everyone's saying "i don't know why ppl are bashing this".. but EVERyone is saying that. I think 90% of us are of the same mind for once on this move..great job Timmy!

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's fat...duh. :rolleyes:

11. Buck Turgidson

So I was mistaken. Oh joy.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yes he is ice cold. he has only got hits (39) in the past 21 of 23 games. and he is only batting .367 since june 1.

13. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Thank the Lord you aren't our GM. It would be tar and feather time if we gave up two of our top prospects. We can get Crawford without giving up Pence and Hirsh.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Huff's contract status is...?

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, your right but check the first few pages. I think some Houston fans just assumed it was bad because of recent past experiences (Mario to Texans, Gay away from Rockets, MJ away from Rockets) but have now thought it out and changed their minds. :D

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Does his wife know?

17. Buck Turgidson

FA after this season.

18. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I really dont see Wilson batting cleanup....I think Huff would go there before him....or maybe this for the top 6

Bidge
    Burke
    Berkman
    Huff
    Lamb
    Wilson

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It will be interesting to see what Tampa Bay does with Zobrist. At 25 and dominating AA, they might just go ahead and put him on their majors roster. But it would be even more intriguing if they left him at AA in their system. Maybe then Pallilo would have to admit that the Astros might have some people in their minors system that knows what they're doing.

20. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Interesting. Hopefully we arent hating his and his agent's guts come January...assuming he produces what he is capable of.