1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Splash] Astros announce they acquire Aubrey Huff

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 12, 2006.

1. CrazyJoeDavola

No way Huff bats that low. I think 5th is his ideal spot. I would actually consider swapping Wilson and Huff in the 4 and 5 depending on the pitcher.

I think Berkman has to go back to #3. No doubt about it.

Lamb would provide excellent bottom of the order protection behind Huff and Wilson. I think the 6th slot is perfect for him.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i was thinking about the line-up - lotso possibilities, but i'd love to see berkman hitting third again:

biggio
    lamb
    berkman
    huff
    wilson
    burke

but i also like the idea of burke hitting 3rd; maybe even lamb with burke in the 2-hole.

regardless, i think huff bats 3, 4 or 5; not 6 after wilson. remember, berkman's a switch-hitter, so there is no value in moving huff to 6th to avoid a lefty coming in to face them since he can turn it around.

garner's going to have some fun.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yep, good trade. Not sure why some people are pissed.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Best move my Tim Purpura since he has been here. Huff is really what we needed. Great hitter. I agree Wilson will likely move to center with Huff in left and Berkman in right, and Lamb at 1st. If Ensberg continues to suck, he will be benched and Huff to 3rd.

5. docgundy

docgundy Member

Ensberg will be benched, maybe even go to the DL. He needs to rehab. He can't hit playing through injury (see playoffs last year).

Biggio
    Burke
    Berkman
    Lamb
    Huff
    Wilson
    Munson
    Everett

Trade Wandy while his stock is the highest it's going to be and get something good in return. Keep Buccholtz in the rotation when Backe comes back. Make Qualls/Wheeler your closers, Lidge the setup man, and Nieve an inning-eater. If Springer continues to suck: Jason Hirsch please.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Also, we have a not so well known Wade Robinson at SS. He was promoted from Single A Salem to AAA Round Rock earlier this season. All he did was hit .329 in 27 games before going back to Salem. He was a big reason that the Express went from 2nd place to 11 games up.

This is a great deal. Huff is a solid middle-of-the-lineup bat who doesn't strike out much. Much of his numbers have come since early June. He's hitting .416 sing June 9th when his average had dropped to .178. I see a lineup of...

Biggio 2B
    Lamb 1B
    Berkman RF
    Huff 3B
    Wilson LF
    Burke CF
    Everett SS
    Ausmus C

On Munson's days, this gives us potentially 4 lefty batters and more pop and the bottom of the lineup (Munson hitting 7th with Everett 8th).

Good jub Purp!

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Zobrist is 25 already. You can't consider him a big time prospect, Talbot gots average stuff at best. I still can't believe Purpura got Huff for these two.

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Hopefully the Astros re-sign Huff, could be easy consideing he has lived in Texas for most of his childhood and he finally comes to a winning team.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Who the hell is huff

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i wouldn't say a 43-46 record is actually winning.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, I'd say we had an OK year last year....

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

zobrist has hit at every single level; i can't for the life of me figure out why he was still in double A, but it's par for the course with this organization, which is practically fielding a rec softball team in RR, as opposed to a young team with potential.

aside from hirsh, it's best prospect is a 28-year old OF who flopped last year in the majors... nice. joe mcewing is getting 200+ at bats; it's closer is 34... they are seven players on their roster 30 or older. ridiculous.

ok, enough ranting - what is huff's contract?

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree Zobrist can flat out hit but he isn't a major league shortstop. How many 6'3 shortstops make it to the big leagues or already in the big leagues now. If you put Zobrist at 2nd or 3rd he loses a lot of his value. Burke is already the 2nd baseman of the future.

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Huff is one of five left-handed hitters -- along with David Ortiz, Carlos Delgado, Hideki Matsui and Bobby Abreu -- to average 100-plus RBI the past three seasons.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

pretty good company

15. Hakeem's Dream

Hakeem's Dream Contributing Member

Hell yeah, I am too. I almost got it this weekend. I am glad I didn't get the Lane shirt I wanted.

16. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

The Huffmeister!!!!!!

[​IMG]

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

wow excellent trade! huff had a horrible start after being hurt to start the season. now he is kicking ass. WOW! i am pumped. we gave up practically nothing to get him too.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

huff is cold. yall didnt excpect to get arod did u?

19. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Huff has hit .433 in the past 23 games with five homers and 16 RBI. :eek:

Lineup Astros should put out if Ensberg gets it going once again.

2B-Craig Biggio
    1B-Mike Lamb
    RF-Lance Berkman
    3B-Morgan Ensberg
    1B-Aubrey Huff
    CF-Preston Wilson
    SS-Adam Everett
    C-Brad Ausmus

Lineup if Ensberg continues to suck

2B-Craig Biggio
    3B-Mike Lamb
    CF-Chris Burke
    RF-Lance Berkman
    1B-Aubrey Huff
    LF-Preston Wilson
    SS-Adam Everett
    C-Brad Ausmus

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Great trade for the Astros. They need more left handed bats in the everyday lineup. Bravo to Purpura.