1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spilled Water on my Keyboard

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BenignDMD, Sep 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Member

So.....I was on a flight this weekend, and the flight attendant spilled water on my laptop keyboard. Not a drop, but like a sip or twos worth of water. I filled out an incident report and had a witness (the guy sitting next to me who she was handing the cup to). Nothing is wrong with my computer though. All the keys and everything works fine.

My question is, could something happen to my keyboard in the future as a result of this spillage? Is there any kind of "cleaning" or diagnostic that I should have the airline pay for to make sure its ok?

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

if the airline pays for i think its a good idea a lot of times laptop manufacturers will have some sort of barrier between the keyboard and circuitry of the pc but not always. i've seen laptops where the ram is right under the keyboard. there could be effects that you may not notice now but will come to hamper your system in the next year or so. a proper tech should be able to tell if there has been any water damage to your computer right now.

whatever you decide to do: BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA RIGHT NOW!!!!

3. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Member

Doing it as we speak

4. s land balla

s land balla Member

I spilled water on my laptop keyboard a few years ago. Nothing was wrong for the first 2 or 3 days, but then I started hearing weird beeping sounds and before I knew it, the entire keyboard didn't work. Luckily, my computer was still under the 1-year manufacturer's warranty - I just told them my keyboard wasn't responding (didn't tell them I spilt water on it) and got it replaced.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

i spilled freakin COFFEE on a computer at work.

worked better than ever afterwards. :)

6. Nolen

Nolen Member

Just so everybody knows- here's the emergency routine when there's a spill on your laptop (usually some beverage into the keyboard) and you're afriad it may cause damage:

Immediately unplug any power source and pull out the battery. Do not wait for a shutdown or hibernation. Pull all power out- that is how things get fried, when the liquid is in there with the power on, circuits can get shorted. If the power is off, you have greatly reduced any chances for damage to electronic parts.
    Then, turn the laptop upside down, keyboard facing down, and let it dry for a long time, several hours. Don't turn it on until you're sure that the liquid is out, and the internals are dry.

I learned this because a friend bought a laptop, had it only a week, someone spilled a beer on the keyboard while it was on, and fried the thing so good it was a total goner. (I think he got a refund via American Express.)

7. candlegreen

candlegreen Member

haha I was about to type these exact steps

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hair dryers work well too.

DD

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Nowadays, the holes on your keyboard are created in a way that, if a spillage occurs, the liquid runs out through holes on the sides of the keys, and the liquid does not enter where the keys strike the pad that sends the data through the cable to the machine.

I am not sure if this is how a laptop is built, but nowadays, most keyboards are built this way. Go ahead and pop the right-most ENTER key with a fork or spoon. See the way the hole is raised? I hope it was like this for most laptops now.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

DaDa, please tell me you've done that successfully... I doubt you have. Don't use a hairdryer, unless it has a COOL setting. You could mess up the contacting pad from overheating if using the WARM or HOT setting.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Sorry, yes, I have used it successfully, but I did not have it set on High, only warm....and had disconnected it and taken the battery out....I only used to to more quicky dissapate the water.

DD