1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spider-Man Officially Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Junkyard_Dog, Feb 9, 2015.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

That kid looks like he can't bench press the bar.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I'm thinking they are hoping he can grow and act the role for years to come instead of having an actor who's already late 20's and may be too old to play spidey in about 5 years. Once the plethora of marvel movies are mostly released they can have a several movies focused on Spider-man, instead of the avengers.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Kind of curious how they will do Civil War with so many characters from the Marvel world that haven't been introduced in the Cinematic Universe. Maybe it will be a way for them to introduce some guys like Black Panther, but are they going to write out Punisher's role? What about the other X-Men? The use of Sentinels?

How will they re-do the robotic Thor and the death of the giant? (i think that was the guy who Thor killed its been a while since I read it

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

On your spoiler - they've never followed a storyline to a tee, they aren't starting now. What you mentioned in the spoiler is pretty dumb, really.

No X-Men. They weren't integral to the story IMO. F4 had a bigger role. Punisher will exist (Daredevil).

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

agreed on the idea of having him literally grow into the role. It's a definite long term play.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think the spoiler was a stupid idea for an ending anyways. Civil War in the comics started out good, then fizzled into a damn mess.

Stupid Bendis with his ambitiously good premises for mega crossovers generally falls through on the resolutions.

Without needing to commit to potential future hooks like the Invasion or Osborne, Civil War can get the Hollywood treatment of a decent resolution. Whether that'll be a good thing is pretty much a coin toss at this point.

/Marvel comics fanboy 2000-2007

PS. From that era, Planet Hulk or the first Annihilation crossover are great comics series that would be nice to see on screen.

#106 Invisible Fan, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Another studio has some Hulk rights so it's a b**** for Disney to do Hulk movies now.

8. 713

713 Member

Apparently Holland tested well with Downey and Evans so that's how he got the gig.

Just tired of these brits taking our superheroes.

9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Apparently it's just the distribution rights that Universal Studios has:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/22/universalmarvel-hulk-sequel-rights-clarified

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

They're not planning on rebooting the whole spiderman story are they? I think the kid looks like a fine choice, but I'm not sure I want to watch another origins. We all know who spiderman is.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No origin story. He'll be in the next Marvel movie after Ant Man as an established character.

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

All indicators are they are skipping the origin story this time. His first appearance is supposed to be in the next Captain America: Civil War movie.

14. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yeah I see no need for a full blown origin story. He should just be in Civil War with no major introduction and then in his solo Spidey movie they can do a quick background/origin in the opening credits and then just get to the meat of the story.

I like the look of this kid and like another poster said we should be able to see him grow and maybe get married to Mary Jane and all that crap in future movies.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

My guess is he'll run into the symbiote on space in Civil War 2 and have one of the first phase 4 movies.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i would love to eventually see venom and ultimately carnage done really well.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Another movie idea that would be interesting would be something that involves the Illuminati. No mutants though.

And with their timetable, it'd appear in 2025 or something...

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Congrats.

It’s the soap opera in high school, and those supporting characters, that are interesting,” Feige said. “Just as we hadn’t seen a heist movie in a long time, or a shrinking movie in a long time, we haven’t seen a John Hughes movie in a long time. Not that we can make a John Hughes movie – only John Hughes could – but we’re inspired by him.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000455/

:confused:

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

6/28/17

Jon Watts On Landing SPIDER-MAN As Director, "Perfect" Tom Holland And His CIVIL WAR Debut

In the same announcement that had named Tom Holland as the new Peter Parker/ Spider-Man of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Jon Watts was also revealed as the director of the Web-Slinger's next standalone movie. And while promoting his new film Cop Car which debuted at Sundance, Watts explained to Entertainment Weekly how he landed the project with Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures and why Holland is perfect for the role. The filmmaker also vaguely weighed in on (and further confirmed) the rebooted Spider-Man making his debut in Captain America: Civil War.

"I’m not really sure what happened," said Jon Watts when asked how he went from directing his Sundance hit Cop Car to Spider-Man. "I had never been to Sundance before. I was nervous because that was the first time we were showing the movie to an actual crowd. So I was dealing with that. I mean, Sundance is like a genre. At least it was to me growing up and in film school: it’s like a Sundance kind of a movie. But [Marvel] got to see Cop Car and they really liked it. But yeah, this trend is interesting. Now, I’ve got to make a slightly more expensive version. It’s an opportunity to just have a bigger canvas instead of just scrapping together any story you can."

When asked about the possibility that directing Spider-Man would delay other passion projects, Jon Watts said, "I think that’s a little philosophical. I mean, I still have so many movies that I want to make, and [Spider-Man] just gets to become one of them. That’s how I think of it. I still have a lot of ideas I want to make, in addition to this, and I don’t think it’s a one-way path in that sense." Talk then turned to Tom Holland with Watts offering nothing but praise for the British as well as his performance in The Impossible. "He’s so good in that," he said. "He can be a real high school student. That’s why people love Spider-Man. He’s the most grounded, relatable of superheroes. And Tom can really do that. He captures that. And he can do a standing back-flip. He’s perfect."

Finally, Jon Watts was asked about collaborating with Captain America: Civil War directors Joe and Anthony Russo given Tom Holland will first appear in that movie before swinging solo. "I mean, it’s a big universe, so everyone sort of works with each other to make sure that there’s continuity and that it all fits together," he explained. "It’s really exciting actually. We’re just getting started, working on the script and all that, but it’s going to be a great process." What do you think?

Directed by Jon Watts, Marvel and Sony's untitled Spider-Man reboot so far stars Tom Holland as Peter Parker and Marisa Tomei as Aunt May, and is scheduled to open in theaters on July 28, 2017. However, the friendly neighborhood web-slinger will first make his Marvel Cinematic Universe debut alongside Earth's Mightiest Heroes in Captain America: Civil War on May 6, 2016.