1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Speed & Athleticism in the starting lineup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Nov 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yao has gone down noticably in these last 2 years on his aggression to get the ball, his rebounding numbers reflect that.

You don't need to be a super athlete to rebound 90% of rebounds are below the rim...you just need the desire to go get the darned ball.

DD

2. redao

redao Member

You have to give up this idea. Yao will never play aggressively unless he is angry. It is so damn impossible to make Yao angry. It is just asking too much for Yao to play with his 100% effort.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I saw Dwight Howard leap up and grab a key rebound late in the game last night that would have without question gone over Yao's head.

I agree that there are many factors that are important to good rebounding but athleticism doesn't hurt.

The point I'm trying to make is not that athleticism is the most important aspect of the game, just the Rockets are so severely lacking this this area that it has become a legitimate weakness, one that I think they will eventually have to address. We don't need to be the most athletic team in the league, but being one of the least athletic (among key players), on top of having a midget frontcourt, makes things difficult.

4. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Let's see what Dorsey can do.

5. BrooksBall

I know I'll get slammed for this put if the Clippers would be willing to trade Camby for Scola and Battier, I'd do it. It would at least solve a lot of problems with our frontcourt.

We could start this lineup:

Alston
    McGrady
    Artest
    Camby
    Yao

then have some combination like this after Yao goes to the bench:

Brooks
    Wafer/Barry/Artest
    Artest/McGrady/Barry
    Landry/Hayes
    Camby

I'd hate to lose Battier and Scola but we'd have to give up something to address our frontcourt needs. PF and SF are positions where we have the most depth. McGrady would get to play more 3 once Battier is gone.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No way, another injury prone player who is unable to guard the bigger PFs because of his sleight stature?

And you would trade Scola - our best PF, and Battier our best wing defender?

What are you smoking?

Artest is the redundant piece, find someone using his contract.

Funny how I show how efficient Scola is in an earlier post and how he is outrebounding all these great athletes, but that apparently doesn't matter.

You know why? Because it makes a mockery of the entire premise. Hustle and Smarts beat athleticism.

Or is Stromile Swift leading the league in rebounds again?

The defense rests your honor.

DD

7. BrooksBall

On top of his superior rebounding and shot blocking, Camby plays effectively in the high post. He is a good passer and doesn't clog up the paint. He would play well with or without Yao, upgrading our starting lineup and our second unit.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No one is arguing that Brooks, I just don't agree with what you are giving up.

I would love Camby but PF is not our biggest weakness...PG is.....if you get Camby for Artest and Luther....sure...why not....

DD

9. stillillmatic

stillillmatic Member

but who is leading rebounding again? o right, Dwight Howard.

10. BrooksBall

And Camby is in 3rd, playing 31 mpg. Camby would address a lot of our needs.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Well of course...but the point is that there are lots of guys that are effective without being the best athlete.....just because you can jump or are athletic does not make you a good player.

Look at who is number 2 in the league....ERICK DAMPIER....are you telling me that Yao is not as athletic as Erick FRICKEN Dampier.

Come on !!!

Troy Murphy at number 11.....

DD

12. BrooksBall

I knew you wouldn't agree but we have to give up something that would hurt a little. I would be more than willing to work another combination of players in the deal. If they would be willing to consider Artest and Luther, I'd probably do it but I'd rather make it Battier and Luther. Even though Artest is struggling offensively, I'd rather have him over Battier. I honestly think this is the last season we have a chance with a team centered around Yao and McGrady, even if they are both back next season. I understand that Artest is in a contract year but I actually don't think it would be too bad to end up getting rid of Battier's contract if we start rebuilding next season.

13. BrooksBall

DD,

Every big in the league is more athletic than Yao, including oafs like Dampier.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I would get rid of Artest because he doesn't fit with Tmac and Battier....it is weird....Morey has done a good job but he has overloaded some positions with decent players.....SF/SG and PF....while ignoring other glaring weaknesses like...PG.

DD

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I don't believe that.....Dampier is a stiff of the mightiest order.

DD

16. stillillmatic

stillillmatic Member

yes.... i'm tell you that yao is not as athletic as erick dampier and troy murphy. is that even a question? The only player who is a worse athlete in the L is probably big Z, now he's a walking zombie.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is me slammin you for wanting to trade Battier.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Even Big Z is rated higher than Yao at rebounding

Bottom line...the rebounding issues are a lot less of an issue if Yao started actually TRYING to rebound.

DD

19. BrooksBall

No doubt, Dampier is a stiff but one thing I didn't include when talking about athleticism in the OP is strength. On top of being slightly quicker with slighter better ups than Yao (no matter how slight those differences are), he has far greater upper body strength and a much wider frame. There truly isn't a slower, bigger stiff than Yao in the league if you want to use that terminology. They are all at least a touch quicker or stronger or have better ups, no matter how small the difference is. Being 7'6 is pretty much too tall. Yao is built well for a guy that size but at the end of the day, it limits him.

20. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

Why would you want 2 do that. I mean the season is still young and our big 3 played what 5 games together? McGrady is coming off offseason surgery. You got to have patience. I agree with you on the pg situation but we needed a player like Artest. Artest wasn't suppose to start but he is because of the setback due 2 Battier's foot. Alston, McGrady, Battier, Scola , Yao.. That was suppose to be our starting 5 since they have the chemistry already and Artest was 2 come off the bench.

Don't give up on Artest later down the road guys are going to see why Morey made the trade. We do need an athletic PF starting though because Scola and Yao have the same game. Scola is too in love with that jump shot but its going in and thats all that matters. Landry is more of an energy guy but I think he fits best next to Yao.