1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Speculation] Rockets may target Rajon Rondo.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Jul 14, 2014.

1. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I have a question for you cap/trade experts..

Can the Rockets land Rondo based on sign and trade with Greg Monroe/Josh Smith, but him going to Boston and Rondo to Houston, and of course Pistons would ge the Houston assest? Is this possible

2. Mr Chuck Norris

I'd love the personality clashes with our3 stars if we get rondo

Dwight - Goofy loves everyone Happy

Rondo - Complete *******, DGAF

Harden - Lone Wolf, quiet

Get Lance too

Oh our coach will be pulling his milk hair from its roots

3. basketballholic

The sign-and-trade off Ariza hasn't actually happened yet. He could fit into the Lin TPE leaving us with Asik's and Casspi's outgoing salaries to be combined with Powell and perhaps even Covington and Hamilton and Garcia in a much larger salary package.

As far as Rondo goes, I'd like to read some comments from insiders and other veteran pays on both his trade value and his future salary prospects as well.

Rondo has one season left on his current contact in perhaps the midst prolific era of point guards ever. There simply are not too many teams that need a PG or that don't have either a better point guard or one that they feel is just as good value dollar for dollar.

This makes me wonder what the trade market is for Rondo right now and what the free agent market will be like for him next summer. Perhaps the Knicks will blow him up to $90-100 million? But who else?

And what teams would even consider trading for him and what would they give? Knicks could offer up Shumpert and take back Wallace. But if I were Ainge I would let some time lapse and try to find a trade for green where I could simply move out his contact for and possibly one mediocre first round pick and then wait for next summer on Rondo. If shine can then find a taker for he's got the cap space to entice 2 other max guys (Marc, Love, Aldridge).

So personally I can't think of a trade possibility that Ainge would accept for Rondo. Maybe someone else can.

With that said I still feel like our ultimate target here is Love. And add crazy add it sounds I really think that's what Morey is working on right now. There is a little buzz going about Greg Monroe being a piece that Minny may like SF part of a Love trade. And I have a difficult time believing that Flip wants to start the season with Love and without having time to integrate new players into his system since his goal is to make the playoffs this year. Monroe may be a key part of that....

However the flip side for Flip is he is making us better. Flip has to either crawl over Portland or hope that Curry gets hurt or Dirk falls off terribly or Memphis somehow craters fir then to have a chance if they trade Love to us.

If I were Flip I'd look for a package of Millsap and Monroe plus picks and other young talent for Love and Pek. Send Pek to Atlanta, get back Millsap and whatever else he can get. Let Houston send Detroit Jones and perhaps some of the Euro guys. Send Love to Houston for the Pelies pick, DMo, Capella, and whatever eke they can get and wind up with a decent sized trade exception besides. Millsap is a pending free agent but he does have early bird rights. That means he can be re-signed for up to 175% of his last salary ($9.5 million). That would be a starting salary of over $16 million with 7.5% raises. Should be enough for any tan to get him back. He's not likely to get a higher salary in free agency.

Just my thoughts right now. I think we're still trying for Love.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not that it takes a NBA beat writer or insider to tell you the Rockets simply don't have the assets for a Kevin Love or Rajon Rondo...

[rQUOTEr]In the wake of more reports that Houston again targeted Rajon Rondo, multiple sources confirmed that there has been no such communication between the Rockets and Celtics.

The first clue that there may be no substance here might be that Houston had nothing it possibly would be willing to give up for Rondo that would appeal to the Celts.

But the Houston rumor does not fall into the category of a possible Rondo deal.

Executives from around the league have been laughing off some of the Rocket flares. The nicest thing being said is that the club is trying to get things stirred up after missing out on Chris Bosh, dealing away Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin and seeing Chandler Parsons sign a free agent offer sheet with Dallas.

The matter with Houston and the Celts appears to be similar to last February when the Rockets made a quick call and learned in seconds that there was no deal to be had.

Ainge told the Herald at the time that such calls were not uncommon. But he was clearly upset that some of that had been leaked and characterized as something serious.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celt...n_rondo_trade_rumors_rankle_danny_ainge_again[/rQUOTEr]

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So we are the laughing stock of the league as of now. Worrisome news.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Rondo is in the last year of his deal right and the Celtics just drafted Smart seems very reasonable they'd trade him at the deadline. Rondo and Bass for Jones, NOP pick and some other pieces may not be so far fetched in a few months. Really need Capella, Pap, Johnson to show enough to be enticing.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No matter how many articles come out that say there were no real Rondo discussions last year, this BBS will never believe it. Cyber says there were so there were!

Good grief.

8. Amir's Johnson

In the wake of more reports that Houston again targeted Rajon Rondo, multiple sources confirmed that there has been no such communication between the Rockets and Celtics.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Rondo won't really go on the market til Love comes off it and it's not Boston

12. tharges

tharges Member

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The only real advantage is Rondo's expiring contract. He is better than anyone else at the 1 spot, but we need a starting 4.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No to Wallace. Bass would be ok along with Rondo's expiring contract. I would rather have Thaddeus Young at the 4, he is underrated. Hinkie will demand a lot though. If we can acquire Young while retaining the Pelicans pick, I would be quite pleased.

I didn't realize until just right now that Brandon Bass was the DPOY this season. I admit this is making me interested in acquiring him. It won't be easy I am sure, but we certainly need a starting PF. I still like Thaddeus too.

#55 saleem, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Giving up Bev and Jones plus NOP pick would be a heavy price to pay, but if your the rockets you have to pull the trigger on that one. Rondo would make both Howard and Harden much better players as well as the supporting cast. Rondo as a PG knows how to close out a game and thats what was missing in the playoffs for the rockets last season.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Makes too much since. Wouldn't be very excited to see Bev go, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, Rondo would be a MONSTER playing on this team.

This move would be a scale tipper, in favor of the Rockets.

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

IMHO I think Thad Young ends up in Minny as part of the MN-CLE trade. Phily would get Waiters and maybe take on bad contract in exchange.

19. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

If we are willing to take on Wallace's ridiculous contract, we won't have to give up as much. Yes he is ridiculously overpaid. But he'd be a suitable backup at the 3 and small 4.

Would rather take him on and keep Bev than have to include more assets in a deal.

20. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i'm all for getting rondo...expect us to get an albatross contract with him...think i'm okay with Jeff Green.