1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Spears) Rockets interested in Lionel Hollins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, May 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. fattz

fattz Member

Hollins (nice fit) could coach the team & KMH could do all the interviews and work the press with his wit and one liners(nice fit).

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Why would anybody complain about this move? I see the appeal from the perspective of Hollins, too- at worst he gets a nice pay-check and potentially he could be in line to be the next head coach of a strong team. In any case, I don't think he wants to be out of the league for two years at his age.

3. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I would love this hire, but

would McHale be on board with this? Why settle for an assistant job? Isn't he opposed to the analytic movement?

Wouldn't this be a long shot?

4. BMoney

Sorry, Harden is also "rewarded" minutes because he's one of the three best offensive players in the league. Exactly zero NBA coaches would park him on the bench.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I really like Lionel Hollins. Just make him head coach already.

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

DD might make a better head coach at this point. ;)

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

My only concern about Lionel Hollins:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y6GLudgUy8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What happens if he does this to Harden?
    We're going to be caught with our dick in our hand if Harden tries to force Hollins out for getting on him.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Somebody needs to do this to Harden. Lionel is a little old now to get too physical. This is why we need to hire Ron Artest for the job.

9. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Add GS &amp; HOU with SAC as teams that have expressed interest in ex-Jazz head coach Tyrone Corbin for assistant coach openings, a source said.</p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/statuses/472881154954362880">May 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

I would love Hollins. Expects 100% out of his teams at all times and doesn't mind getting in players faces if they're doing something wrong. Would be a blessing to have a coach who would not be afraid to get in Hardens face about defense. It would make Harden a better player as well.

13. afk

afk Member

Hire Hollins, get him familiar with the team and players for 2014. If McHale doesn't get us past the 1st round, McHale is fired and Hollins is head coach. No one looks like a coach killer and Morey doesn't upset the celtic gods.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In this case, it means the Rockets could afford to fire McHale during next season without disruption. It's like a public announcement McHale is coaching for his job.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If Hollins wants to fix his reputation, that the problem was the way Memphis handled it and not analytics, where best to start?

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Lionel's replacement, with no HC experience, just won 50 games, with his DPOY missing over 20 games. So what's so great about Hollins then?

Why does this board continue to overrate coaching again and again?

17. NotChandlerParsons

Ewww. This is the dude who changed up defensive assignments every game and made Al Jefferson look like he had no hope of ever being a good defender. (Not that he's really good anyway, but he's playing serious minutes on the #6 defense this season, so I'd blame that on Corbin).

18. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

If this is even close to true I'm excited.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This is like Freddo saying sorry for his unmanageable wife to Michael.

MCHALE. "So help me, James, you defy me again and I swear I'll belt you in the mouth."

HARDEN. "Ha! You couldn't belt your mama!"

(Later)

MCHALE. "I'm sorry, I can't control him, Daryl."

MOREY. "You're my coach. You don't have to apologize to me. Tell you what. Maybe it's a white-black thing. How'd you like a black assistant coach?"

MCHALE. "Gee, would you?"

MOREY. "Of course I would. How about Mike Brown?"

MCHALE. "He's an a-hole."

MOREY. "Corbin? Hollins?"

20. BMoney

Ok, Lionel Hollins wouldn't be a good option as an assistant for the Rockets? It's an assistant position. Care to enlighten the board with some other candidates?