1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spears] Rockets granted permission to interview Luke Walton for HC position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Apr 28, 2016.

1. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Yung-T again."

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He was not a particularly good GM, but he played most of his career under Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich, so he clearly picked up a few things from those two.

3. Sanity2disChaos

I hate a copy cat..... :/

No deal.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We need a more experienced coach than Luke Walton in Houston. We are in an absolute mess. Morey doesn't know what he is doing.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

What does that have to do with coaching? Kerr didn't construct that team. It was already made. His most genius move, was starting Draymond Green when David Lee was hurt, otherwise he was starting Lee just like Mark Jackson was. Green was the biggest factor in the Warriors turning from 50 win to championship team.

Lets say it is important to have GM experience, he was GM for a Suns team that was already constructed for 3 seasons. His moves were nothing special. He traded Marion for a broken down Shaq. Traded Boris Diaw and Raja Bell for JRich and Jared Dudley. Traded Shaq for a broken down Ben Wallace and bought him out. Hired Terry Porter who brought Gentry in as assistant and then fired Porter and let Gentry stay. All of these moves sound like moves that would have CF demanding his head.

I think Lukes assistant coaching experience looks better on a resume for Head Coach than decades of Kerr being an analyst on ESPN and 3 seasons of being a GM. Keep in mind Kerr also had zero experience of being a GM before being hired.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, but more experience doesn't necessarily mean that he's better. That's all i wanted to say, but i agree with you all in all, Luke did nothing, just stay away from him.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Why does everyone want experience and discipline? You guys are acting like were going into next season with this same team that only needs a vet coach to preach D and discipline.

This roster is going to be completely different next season. If i had to guess, i'd say we'll have 4 players returning next season after some trades. Going to be a completely different team. Most likely young.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's a good point.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc its Kerr's culture, philosophy, and system. and that's basically the only thing that matters

10. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

After seeing the Rox effort, no way he would think he could turn them around. Handling Curry is a lot diff than handling Harden.

11. htown1984

htown1984 Member

does an interm need to be fired? Or does he assume hes fired after the season

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

most likely young? no way. if they go young you can pretty much say bye to Harden. They're looking to make moves to keep hou a playoff team without a doubt not starting over and trying to make the playoffs.

The only way they go young is if its the last resort and every single significant FA says no to houston

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Speaking of the "chicken and the egg" thread in the GARM right now, I often think about the Warriors like this.

Is it the benefit of having infinite lanky 3-point shooting wingmen off of the bench, or is the coaching that sets this team apart?

Is the coaching good because you have a ton of replaceable cogs, or are the replaceable cogs good because of the coaching?

I think it's probably 60% roster, 40% coaching.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

no an interim coach does not need to be officially fired

15. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I would suck as a GM because I could never hire any coach that was part of our rivalry. Horn would be out because of the 1990s and I wouldn't want anybody that likes GS. Give me JVG, Sam I AM, or the kiss of death. Hell I say bring back Rudy and suit Dream back up. He would be better than Dwight.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

The fact that the Warrios won with Kerr and even more the Rockets went to the conference finals with McHale shows you that coaching matters, but not as much as some people thinks.

The most important thing is to have good players which gel and complement each other.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

i'm not talking going baby young. I mean under 30. Morey is going to strip this roster basically down to just Harden so he can enter Free Agency with as much cap as possible to go star chasing. But not even Durant coming will make us true contenders. 2 star system doesn't work anymore. I really hope he focuses on guys like Conley, Noah, Gasol, Batum etc. and not just chasing Durant. I doubt it though.

We need to use the o4 Pistons, or Adelman Kings rosters as influence.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not sure why people are mad at them for interviewing Walton.

It's an interview. Shouldn't they interview guys who have potential to at least see what happens?

Maybe they get in the interview and Walton blows them away and it is obvious that he is going to be a great coach, but maybe the opposite happens. You can't know if you don't interview the guy.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

i would hope so yes. its going to be interesting once all this begins. first thing is first and that's get this next coach in place, which i expect to happen pretty quickly and then find guys that will fit into the identity that that coach envisions.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fair enough.